I suffered a lot of pain after receiving my very fine Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog - in terms of figuring out how to configure it, how to get FSX to see it even after I had disabled all control surfaces WITHIN FSX, and how to solve difficult problems like separately controlling left versus right engines, achieving proper max and IDLE thrust, and getting the REVERSERS to come on when I lift and then pull back the throttles past their "IDLE" position (and pull them further towards me).So I am beginning this thread as a roundtable for other Warthog drivers to share their experiences and nuances of the control surfaces, and how they interact with FSX and other Flight Sim products.Topic 1 - GETTING the AXES recognized in FSUIPC (after first DISABLING all your controllers within FSX by unticking them on the setup page of FSX)

• Start FSX
  • Select your typical aircraft (in my case the PMDG 737NGX)

From the top menu in FSX, click on OPTIONS, then SETTINGS, then Controls as shown in this picture:upxptmobvx56qomyystv.jpgYou'll see the following image (This picture shows the FSX controls box AFTER I have un-ticked (DE-selected) controllers (Joystick, Throttle, and SAITEK rudders))Plain ENGLISH! Make sure there is NO CHECKMARK in the box next to the words "Enable Controllers" They won't respond now until you set them up in FSUIPC as outlined further on in this topic.vcpyhusr9isyglapiq2k.jpgFrom the menu bar across the top of your screen in FSX, click "ADD-ONS" then click FSUIPC (registered version)Tip: There is a MISCELLANEOUS tab in FSUIPC, click on it:97tmlr79xakpuyn6rcnz.jpgI would recommend you check the boxes as I have them (you can take note of what they are before you begin to change them, if you don't like the results it's easy enough to revert them back.After checking the boxes click OK button at bottom of the FSUIPC miscellaneous window to accept your changes. The Control Spike Elimination is particularly important for the Rudder, Elevator and Ailerons.If you use REX for realtime weather, you may want to consider altering the WINDS settings within FSUIPC, but I won't delve into that here as it's a tad off topic.Next, click on the Axis Assignment tab in FSUIPCSplit the throttles on the WARTHOG (pull the silver magnetic switch on the back side of the throttle handle fully left and the two throttle handles will operate independent of each other. Move ONLY the left throttle handle whilst you are in FSUIPC- you see:8auqjamafof24av0n47d.jpgon the lower left where it says "Type of action required" be sure "Send direct to FSUIPC Calibration" radio button is selected.Then in the drop down box select Throttle 1 and put a checkmark next to it then click OK.After clicking OK FSUIPC will close. Restart it from within FSX and repeat the process with the RIGHT throttle handle. If the JOY# and AXIS# boxes aren't blank, clear them by pressing the CLEAR then the RESCAN buttons in FSUIPC. THis time select Throttle 2 as shown below:2i0kqr4jea8cxjxo9hl7.jpgNotice the JOY# is the same (JOYSTICK1) but the axis letters are different between LEFT and RIGHT throttle controls!Now that these are selected you can proceed into the calibration tab within FSUIPC and thence to FSUIPC.INI file but more on that in a moment. Note the picture above, the default range for the throttles is -16384 to +16384 That is the rub. If you don't edit these to allow for a dead zone at the bottom end, your thottles will not reach IDLE THRUST properly and you'll experience major pain trying to land at too high a speed!So first go ahead and calibrate them by clicking on the CALIBRATION TABYou see:yghl1rm4ezzmbv7urecq.jpgCRITCALLY IMPORTANT! Put a tick in the checkbox marked "No Reverse Zone" (Why? Because you want the REVERSERS to be controlled by YOU, when you LIFT the throttle handle UP whilst pulling it further back, (after configuring LINDA) your thrusters will work as you want them - NOT come on before you intend them to! Especially important whilst landing and not yet on the runway, yeah? I spent a LOT of time not KNOWING this trick! Hope it helps YOU and if you have a WARTHOG it will!If you don't have a warthog, you'll have to determine some other switches to assign for reversers but that's OFF TOPIC here.Note the ranges above- they are much SMALLER than the default range assigned by FSUIPC. I edited them in the FSUIPC.INI file looks like this: Plain English tip: AFter you first calibrate the controls, then after opening the FSUIPC4.ini file (it is in the MODULES folder of your FSX directory) using NOTEPAD, you will need to MANUALLY change the values (make each of them smaller to create the "DEAD ZONES" i am speaking about. For example, if a control has an existing calibration range of -16384 to +16384 you can select -15500 and +15500 instead then save the file. This will give you some 'headroom' at both the top and bottom range of the given control axis so that things will operate "as expected" - particularly important for THROTTLES and BRAKES. If you fly SAITEK rudders (Combat or regular) you MUST check REVERSE in the configuration window of FSUIPC, because the controls for brakes on Saitek rudder are programmed 'backwards' and when fully depressed your brakes will RELEASE and when fully released they will lock up which is BAD NEWS. You need to enable "REVERSE" operation and then the Saitek brakes will work as you wish. Plus, you also need to create HEADROOM on both the top and bottom ranges of your BRAKES for the same reason... so they fully release and fully engage when you want them to. If you don't create a dead zone, they will sometimes hang up or not move fully up or down, and unexpected results may occur whilst in flight.0ed63q4malkobtifslll.jpgWorst case you can copy my settings they should work fine for Throttle1 and Throttle 2. You will still get max thust and min thrust, but you'll have headroom (dead zone) at the top and bottom of the throttle throw range so you will achieve full IDLE thrust upon landing and MAX takeoff thrust on takeoff.Many of you have discovered the wonderful interface button assignment tool called LINDA, here are my Linda settings unshifted and shifted (Throttle) and then the Joystick (which I use sparingly, because most of the buttons on the joystick I use to control camera views in EZDOK.Unshifted (2 views to cover all button assingments) Shifted 2 views Joystick 1 view (5 images total)7bo5th5dgexmvs6io36h.jpgrggngjngqv8m6tp6aunb.jpgzfhmb0n9rr4pp3bjgce2.jpgc0dgi6horoitcr5fj1ys.jpgJOYSTICK:j9vjxboqam3boxdbgeec.jpgWhat works for me is the LANDING LIGHTS run off ENGL toggle, The Taxi Lights run off FLOW R toggle, ENG OPER L increases all inside dash lights whilst I hold in UP position APU Start switch actually starts the APU (no can of corn, see above programming steps) and when you throw it the opposite way, it swaps from ENGINE GENERATORS to APU GENERATORS (thus allowing you to kill the engines when shutting down and deplaning passengers). Shift the Global Joystick button and lift ENG OPER L switch kills Left engine Lift R switch kills right engine (you must hold the SHIFT button on the joystick down to enable this due to how I programmed - why? Prevent killing engines whilst airborne. Yeah?L/G Warn is Parking Brake toggle. Autopilot engage/disengage does that, the Main A/P. RDR ALTM toggles HUGS display up and down. PATH engages LNAV ALT engages VNAV.The hat switches on the throttle adjust CRSE left and right, ALTITUDE and HEADING. The sliver side switch (left side) gear UP and gear down. The silver slide switch topmost right side pull towards you sounds passenger alert chime push away from you toggles the JETWAY. Middle silver button, pull toward you deploys airbrakes to 50% (max detent during flight) return to center turns off spoilers. Push fully forward ARMS spoilers for landing (but does not deploy them). Red bottom side switch pull towards you toggle A/P CMD A push away from you toggle A/P CMD BThe right rotator grey switch I use FSUIPC to set that axis for FLAPS. On the 737 it works perfectly. Centered is 10 degrees, fully down is 40 and fully up is 0. Try it. AMAZING.You may wish to assign things differently, but the great thing about LINDA is it's simple to use. Get version 1.11 (free from AVSIM). Consider donating to LINDA if you like it. A LOT of work went into it and it now supports up to 10 joysticks.Tip: The Logitech G13 keypad is NOT, repeat NOT recognized or supported by LINDA. It won't work because LINDA sees it as a KEYPAD not as a JOYSTICK.I hope this topic saves some of you a lot of the pain I encountered. Be aware that FSUIPC REGISTERED version is required, the free version won't do what you need it to do AFAIK. They constantly update software, be sure you have the latest versions. FSUIPC and LINDA both "live" in your FSX MODULES folder.It's wise and critically important to do frequent regular "rotating" backups. Get a good backup program, be sure you understand not only how to back up, but how to RESTORE (from your backup) and how to 'test' your backup to be sure your system can "READ IT" (iow, it's not "corrupt"). I personally like ACRONIS True Image Home 2011, they have 2012 out now. It's not super intuitive, but it's pretty strong and it will send you emails to notify when jobs complete, and it can turn your system off after the backup finishes.Keep the blue side up!Robert

Edited by rsm

R. Scott McDonald  B738/L   Information is anecdotal only-without guarantee & user assumes all risks of use thereof.                                               

RQbrZCm.jpg

KqRTzMZ.jpg

Click here for my YouTube channel

Fabulous post, Robert!I'm sure it will save many people a lot of heartache.Many thanks indeed, :good:Brian

Brian747-500x105-Avsim.jpg

Fabulous post, Robert!I'm sure it will save many people a lot of heartache.Many thanks indeed, :good:Brian
Actually, Brian, I did some further research and reading, PMDG is recommending NOT calibrating the controls within FSUIPC, but rather use the software that came with the controls or Windows itself to calibrate. Oddly, I can assign the controllers without calibrating them in FSUIPC and they work as expected EXCEPT the Saitek Combat Flight Pedals - the BRAKES must be configured on the calibration tab in FSUIPC to permit "reverse" operation of the brake pedals, or the brakes will work "backwards" meaning when you push down on the brake pedals they will RELEASE and when you let up off the brake pedals, the brakes will ENGAGE. Clearly NOT good! A known issue with SAITEK rudders and is mentioned directly in their setup manual.So, for EVERY OTHER control surface EXCEPT the brakes you would assign the axes to pass through to FSX as shown RIGHT HERE:fzb24bh4eoog6bckpgkj.jpgSo instead of the top radio button, click the MIDDLE radio button to send the control "pure" to FSX without modifying its input - this is a "must" according to PMDG 737NGX Introduction manual. They don't single out any particular hardware, but allude that "SOME" hardware has issues if CALIBRATED within FSUIPC.THe SAITEK brake pedals I followed the above and set it to simply pass through to FSX, and experienced the problem with the brakes operating "backwards". Then I returned back to FSUIPC and clicked on the CALIBRATION tab and mouse clicked till I got to the page that mentioned the brakes. I clicked SET button for both the RIGHT Brake and the LEFT Brake, then I clicked the REV checkbox for each brake (left and right) then click OK to save the changes to FSUIPC.Following the below procedure, brakes operate properly.Plain English Tip: When you first come to this screen the brakes (shown on the right-hand side of the screen pic below) have buttons that say "SET" (NOT "RESET")Upon pressing the SET button for Left and Right brakes, the fields populate with the numerical values shown. I did NOT alter them.Just put a checkmark in the REV box for each brake pedal and then click OK button and you're golden.This is the ONLY control that you will go to the calibration tab and mouse click until you reach page 2, which contains the BRAKE calibration buttons.THE REST of your Warthog axes need no calibration! Note, BUTTONS are different from AXIS. The REVERSE THRUST on the Warthog is a BUTTON (Linda will show you button 29/30) which triggers after you pull up and then pull closer towards you, the "button" event will trigger. When you reverse the process after you return the throttle to IDLE/OFF position and push forward away from you then that same throttle levers are functioning as the Throttle 1 and Throttle 2 axes.xg70evhz1dfgnl1nb1ss.jpgI use the large gray rotating lever on the throttle for FLAPS. Without calibration, the flaps operate low (lever at DECR or Bottom position) to high. Works Flawlessly. You simply assign this axis to flaps as shown below:ao1r2ziyp142hiyer2zx.jpgNo need to calibrate this control either. ONLY the brakes forced me to do the reverse check box via the calibration tab in FSUIPC.Hope this refinement post added today 1/16/2012 helps you Warthoggers.Robert

R. Scott McDonald  B738/L   Information is anecdotal only-without guarantee & user assumes all risks of use thereof.                                               

RQbrZCm.jpg

KqRTzMZ.jpg

Many thanks indeed, Robert! :smile:Just one question — with no FSUIPC calibration now happening, how do you fix the throttle range "in front of the detent" to go from idle to max (do you still edit the fsuipc.ini file, perhaps)?Cheers and thanks,Brian

Edited by brian747

You don't need to do it - the 'default' range is OK and no dead zone appears to be necessary. You can test this by doing the followingStart up FSX (and LINDA)Load the PDMG 737NGX (or whatever plane you fly)Select an airport and runwayWithout going through all the pre-flight FMC and IRS setups, you can put your flaps to 5 (if you want)Hold the plane with your brakesNote the current N1 value on your dash "at full IDLE" before moving the throttle.Increase the throttles fully and watch the N1 value it should reach about 102then pull the throttles back to detent position.After a bit for the engines to wind down to idle your N1 should be what it was when you began.If you feel compelled to calibrate the throttles, you can do it within Windows 7 (Printers and Devices - right click on the Thrustmaster Hotas Throttle and choose properties, there you will see options to reset to default or to calibrate.)

RQbrZCm.jpg

KqRTzMZ.jpg

^_^ Thank you, Robert — can't wait to try it.I suspect my own layout of control mappings will differ somewhat from yours since (i) I use the VRinsight TT panel for all my EZCA view switching (apart from the normal Captain's view and the CDU entry view that I like to have closer to hand), and (ii) some functions are already available to me via the VRinsight MCP+EFIS+Comms Combo unit (also thanks to LINDA, of course). But I'll let you know what I end up with — once I get my hands on a 'hog, that is. :yahoo:Your kindness has been a great help to me (and, no doubt, to others) — many thanks once again! :clapping:All the best,Brian

^_^ Thank you, Robert — can't wait to try it.I suspect my own layout of control mappings will differ somewhat from yours since (i) I use the VRinsight TT panel for all my EZCA view switching (apart from the normal Captain's view and the CDU entry view that I like to have closer to hand), and (ii) some functions are already available to me via the VRinsight MCP+EFIS+Comms Combo unit (also thanks to LINDA, of course). But I'll let you know what I end up with — once I get my hands on a 'hog, that is. :yahoo:Your kindness has been a great help to me (and, no doubt, to others) — many thanks once again! :clapping:All the best,Brian
Thanks Brian. Well, I tried to share my own personal experiences in hopes of easing the pain for those who are adding the Warthog. I want to emphasize that I fly principally the PMDG 737NGX (is there another airplane?) - so some of the nuances in terms of not using FSUIPC to calibrate the controller came from the PMDG 737NGX introduction manual.Fly Safe!Robert.

RQbrZCm.jpg

KqRTzMZ.jpg

Thanks Brian. Well, I tried to share my own personal experiences in hopes of easing the pain for those who are adding the Warthog. I want to emphasize that I fly principally the PMDG 737NGX (is there another airplane?) - so some of the nuances in terms of not using FSUIPC to calibrate the controller came from the PMDG 737NGX introduction manual.Fly Safe!Robert.
Well, I made a 5 minute video using my own settings as shown here - so those who are curious you can see it on YouTube. More about showing the performance of all the hardware and software rather than any kind of flight skills... and to show how the Warthog can control the very fine PMDG 737NGX...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nq1OeDcWSBQ

RQbrZCm.jpg

KqRTzMZ.jpg

Very satisfying video, Robert — thank you. :biggrin:Once I have a 'hog of my own suitably configured, I'll report back with whatever settings I arrive at — although, as I mentioned in my previous post, they're likely to be somewhat different from yours for the reasons given. But I reckon you can never have too many buttons and axes, not with a whole flight deck to simulate! And LINDA certainly provides plenty of options to assign them to, that's for sure. ^_^Incidentally, watching that video also makes me feel that I need a little Californian-style sunshine, as opposed to the rubbish weather we've been getting in England lately...... :Cry:Cheers and many thanks,Brian

JETWAYS won't move in Flightbeam Studio's very fine KSFO airport - KNOWN ISSUEHi all-I just 'discovered' that the Jetways (FSX) do NOT move (via CTL-J or any other key sequence or FSX command code) at the add-on airport from Flightbeam Studios "KSFO". Since it's by far the 'best looking' airport I own, I fly a lot of practice flights OUT of it, and never thought about the jetways, because I usually don't fly INTO KSFO. Lately I decided to do some VFR touch and gos in my 737NGX, and following a series of those I decided to taxi to a gate and hit the trusty side key on my Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog Throttle (pull towards me, the chime sounds signalling passengers and crew it is ok to stand up and deplane), push it away from me (at all OTHER airports) and the Jetway toggles. Duh- when I pulled up to the San Francisco gate(s) - NO JOY. Finally after doing some searching on Google, I stumbled across the fact that this is a "KNOWN ISSUE" with this (otherwise) very fine aftermarket scenery airport. So it occurred to me that I should post in on Avsim, if only to spare someone else from the pain of wondering what he or she did to their system to cause the trouble! Since not all pilots fly Warthog hardware, I will try to find an additional spot on Avsim to post this.Best,Robert

RQbrZCm.jpg

KqRTzMZ.jpg

Hi Robert!Having now completed my first cut of control and view assignments, I append a list of my current configuration, as promised. Obviously, these will be refined as I continue using them, but they seem a reasonable starting point.However, do bear in mind that I have two VRinsight devices: a TT panel dedicated to EZCA views (I have a total of 41 interior and exterior views, originally based on the AoA set but all redefined and also extended to suit my own preferences) as well as the MCP Combo which has the EFIS / MCP / Comms controls — so none of those need to be mapped to the 'hog, and therefore my control set will probably not be too helpful to others, unfortunately.But it will perhaps at least indicate the versatility of the Warthog. What it can't illustrate is the reassuringly solid and smooth feel of the beast, which is tremendous..... :smile:Incidentally, had you noticed that v1.5 of the LINDA NGX module has been released? More goodies (now over 500 functions to use).... :biggrin:Cheers,Brianwhogcontrolsviews.jpg

:Idea:
Hi Robert,Just a couple of questions, I have the same graphics card and would be very intersested in your opinion/observations on the improvement in performance when overclocking the card and also the settings you use to achieve the overclock.Thanks in advance

Andrew Dixon
"If common sense was compulsory everyone would have it but I am afraid this is not the case"

Hi Robert,Just a couple of questions, I have the same graphics card and would be very intersested in your opinion/observations on the improvement in performance when overclocking the card and also the settings you use to achieve the overclock.Thanks in advance
I will send you a PM

RQbrZCm.jpg

KqRTzMZ.jpg