What is LINDA please? Is it a commercial addon?

Dave Taylor gb.png

What is LINDA please? Is it a commercial addon?
Linda is FREEWARE, an interface program that uses "LUA" scripting to allow users to program extra buttons on their joysticks (and some other controllers) to accomplish routine tasks on your airplane. In plain language, it is an 'optional way' to assign buttons and levers on a device to operate things on your FSX airplane, much like FSUIPC (by Pete Dowson).What makes LINDA attractive is you press a button on your controller (Joystick, Throttle Quadrant) and the corresponding key lights up on screen in LINDA, so you can visually 'see' what button you are assigning. Read the beginning of this thread and you'll see PICTURES of LINDA in action.being FREEWARE, the developers don't charge anything for you to use it. If you find it useful (and many of us HAVE), you are encouraged to donate a small amount to the developers to encourage them to continue with the project.If you are thinking of adding a multi-function cockpit device made by VRInsight, Linda offers support for the older Combo MCP panel and newer Combo II (Boeing version or Airbus Version) panels offered by Korea's VRInsight. When you begin to think of control surfaces that run into several hundred dollars, you want to be assured that you will be able to make that controller function with a given aircraft (example, the very fine PMDG 737NGX). Some manufacturers (Example GoFlight USA) thus far do NOT directly support the PMDG aircraft, in particular the 737NGX. They instead are supporting the iFLY 737NG plane. Regardless of 'what went on behind the scenes) between GoFlight and PMDG - again, caution is called for. I for one would hate to buy the VRInsight 737 Overhead Panel only to discover that it supports ONLY the iFLY variant of the 737. This is not a knock of iFly - but a reflection of personal preference (I'm a huge fan of the 737NGX). Hope this helps a bit. You can download and install LINDA right here on AVSIM its available in the FREEWARE forum here.

R. Scott McDonald  B738/L   Information is anecdotal only-without guarantee & user assumes all risks of use thereof.                                               

RQbrZCm.jpg

KqRTzMZ.jpg

Click here for my YouTube channel

Some manufacturers (Example GoFlight USA) thus far do NOT directly support the PMDG aircraft, in particular the 737NGX. They instead are supporting the iFLY 737NG plane. Regardless of 'what went on behind the scenes) between GoFlight and PMDG - again, caution is called for. I for one would hate to buy the VRInsight 737 Overhead Panel only to discover that it supports ONLY the iFLY variant of the 737. This is not a knock of iFly - but a reflection of personal preference (I'm a huge fan of the 737NGX).
That's a misquote as due to PMDGs EULA no manufacturer is able to support the NGX as there is NO SDK for it. The reason why so many hardware manufacturers support ifly is that they have provided a very robust SDK that allows complete hardware compatibility from MCPs, Overheads, CDUs, etc. It will be interesting how PMDG approaches it's next 1c release as they have mentioned that they are breaking the way a few people who have figured a way to interface with their 737 w/o the SDK being released. PMDG has just cast a blind eye to Linda ATM. Edited by ohsirus

I understood Captain Randazzo (of PMDG) as saying the SP1c and the PMDG 737NGX SDK would be a simultaneous release, and that he (Capt. Randazzo) felt that both items would be forthcoming in the near future, which I took to mean a matter of weeks at the outside.If I understood the good Captain correctly, once the SDK for the 737NGX -is- available to developers, it should be a fairly straightforward process for the programmers to write code that will allow some of the new 3rd party control surfaces to work 'as expected' with the 737NGX.I would not characterize PMDG as "blind to Linda". I think that the LINDA people will be able to ramp up their software considerably once they know the back door code calls for items like the CDU, the cargo and supplemental doors, airstairs, and so on. Whether or not Mssrs. Crum and company elect to go to the next level with that issue, however, is unknown. I'd feel better about it if I thought that the Linda staff loved the NGX as much as I do ;)There is NO WAY I would spend $1600+ USD for the VRInsight 737 Overhead if it is not directly supported for the NGX. I own the iFLY as well, never touch it since the NGX came out. But that's just me. Others are fine with the iFly bird. I'm just sayin' that if I am thinking about buying new control surfaces to enhance my flight experience, I need to take steps to make sure the results will meet my expectations.

Edited by rsm

R. Scott McDonald  B738/L   Information is anecdotal only-without guarantee & user assumes all risks of use thereof.                                               

RQbrZCm.jpg

KqRTzMZ.jpg

The SDK has been in a state of flux since the NGX was released with every impending release changed due to this or that, but that's a different subject. Not sure how the VRi overhead became an issue as it like every other hardware maker is silently waiting for an official release of an NGX SDK. I own every PMDG bird and it's been a hardware nightmare from day one as they have never been hardware friendly once you migrate from the mouse/keyboard. Luckily Linda has been able to take alot of the chore out of making things click, but once again I wonder how the next patch will affect things as I too have seen a few posts from the good captain that some programs will cease to work on the next patch. Anyways, didn't mean to get into an Ifly vs PMDG debate as there are dozens on here, but just wanted to make sure that potential Goflight Customers didn't buy off on they only support one plane maker.

Edited by ohsirus

The SDK has been in a state of flux since the NGX was released with every impending release changed due to this or that, but that's a different subject. Not sure how the VRi overhead became an issue as it like every other hardware maker is silently waiting for an official release of an NGX SDK. I own every PMDG bird and it's been a hardware nightmare from day one as they have never been hardware friendly once you migrate from the mouse/keyboard. Luckily Linda has been able to take alot of the chore out of making things click, but once again I wonder how the next patch will affect things as I too have seen a few posts from the good captain that some programs will cease to work on the next patch. Anyways, didn't mean to get into an Ifly vs PMDG debate as there are dozens on here, but just wanted to make sure that potential Goflight Customers didn't buy off on they only support one plane maker.
Well, I telephoned GoFlight headquarters and had a very long conversation with one of their support engineers. The gentleman flat out told me that GoFlight works closely with iFLY and DOES NOT, repeat, DOES NOT support PMDG -AT ALL- period. This was emphatically made clear to me. Thus I elected to buy the VRInsight Combo II MCP (BOEING) over the more-realistic GoFly MCP Panel. No choice. Darned if I was going to "go there" with an item that "might" or "might not" work... and darned if I was going to leave myself open to the finger pointing between GoFly, PMDG and some faceless 3rd party software maker.I can totally understand PMDG trying to protect their intellectual property. When you stack their plane up against others (even their own 1st gen) there is just a substantial difference in my view... some might use superlatives like "amazing" "wonderful" "mind-blowing" and so on... but whatever you personally feel about their airplane... if you're a PMDG and ONLY PMDG pilot, interoperability with new hardware is imperative.I think potential GoFlight customers might be concerned that iFLY is the plane maker that GoFlight is working directly with, and even VRInsight designed their 737 Overhead Panel to work with and provides a free copy of the IFly 737NG with purchase of their 1600 USD panel. The push towards iFly by the hardware builders is driven by iFLY themselves. As the "new kid" in the cornfield, they are trying to combat the 300-lb gorilla that is PMDG. Of COURSE iFly is 3rd-party friendly. They have to be. I'd use rubber bands and Popsicle sticks to fly the NGX before I'd fly the other plane, but again, that's personal choice. I have a great hope that CRUM and his brethren at LINDA might go one or two more steps further when the SDK is released by PMDG.

RQbrZCm.jpg

KqRTzMZ.jpg

Well technically VRI developed a 737 overhead, not an Ifly overhead as it's not modeled off of Ifly's overhead panel. I own a VRI MCP and a Goflight MCP and even though VRI supported a few PMDG planes it did not work perfectly, ie you could not read the plane states as no SDK was available and I'm talking pre-NGX. When you say Goflight does not support support PMDG, you still don't understand that GOflights MCP needs to be able read and write an exact state to an Aircraft as unlike VRI's mcp which allows you to rotate the knobs to get to what you are looking for, Goflights doesn't. If I select PLN on the EFIS it needs to tell the A/C go to PLN as it can't keep on rotating through. So in defense of Goflight I can understand why they can't support a non-SDK bird, it's not the only MCP maker that doesn't. Luckily though there is a LUA script similiar to what Linda offers that offers compatibility to PMDGs 737 and the J41, user created.Not sure why you think there is some finger pointing between PMDG and Goflight, more like PMDG and FSLabs as they created the initial 747 goflight driver which they sell for about 70 bucks. You seem to think that catering to hardware manufactures is a bad thing, luckily someone is. Level-D did things right years ago when they offered a fantastic SDK for their A/C which allowed alot of people to move their gear off the default A/Cs. When you say Ifly pushed their plane toward hardware builders, that demand came from hardware owners as once again it is the only next-gen 737 available with an SDK, one ifly owner even designed a bridge that allows FSUIPC to fully interact with it, which has opened a world of possibilities. I've made a few scripts that allow my WP-6 annunciator to detct certain in game light states and display them accordingly. You have to understand that some hardware items require a deeper interaction with an A/C, take an overhead and its numerous annunciators, gauges and think how much A/C internal workings must be known to get it to work. If and when PMDG releases an SDK then trust me, Goflight, Vri, etc will get bombarded with requests for full integration.

Edited by ohsirus

Well technically VRI developed a 737 overhead, not an Ifly overhead as it's not modeled off of Ifly's overhead panel. I own a VRI MCP and a Goflight MCP and even though VRI supported a few PMDG planes it did not work perfectly, ie you could not read the plane states as no SDK was available and I'm talking pre-NGX. When you say Goflight does not support support PMDG, you still don't understand that GOflights MCP needs to be able read and write an exact state to an Aircraft as unlike VRI's mcp which allows you to rotate the knobs to get to what you are looking for, Goflights doesn't. If I select PLN on the EFIS it needs to tell the A/C go to PLN as it can't keep on rotating through. So in defense of Goflight I can understand why they can't support a non-SDK bird, it's not the only MCP maker that doesn't. Luckily though there is a LUA script similiar to what Linda offers that offers compatibility to PMDGs 737 and the J41, user created.Not sure why you think there is some finger pointing between PMDG and Goflight, more like PMDG and FSLabs as they created the initial 747 goflight driver which they sell for about 70 bucks. You seem to think that catering to hardware manufactures is a bad thing, luckily someone is. Level-D did things right years ago when they offered a fantastic SDK for their A/C which allowed alot of people to move their gear off the default A/Cs. When you say Ifly pushed their plane toward hardware builders, that demand came from hardware owners as once again it is the only next-gen 737 available with an SDK, one ifly owner even designed a bridge that allows FSUIPC to fully interact with it, which has opened a world of possibilities. I've made a few scripts that allow my WP-6 annunciator to detct certain in game light states and display them accordingly. You have to understand that some hardware items require a deeper interaction with an A/C, take an overhead and its numerous annunciators, gauges and think how much A/C internal workings must be known to get it to work. If and when PMDG releases an SDK then trust me, Goflight, Vri, etc will get bombarded with requests for full integration.
I agree with you. The pilots (customers) are what drives innovation. It's hard to imagine the SDK for the PMDG not being made available, I think PMDG wants to 'get it right' when they release said kit. I too hold great hope that the Linda developers (amongst others) will work up a full implementation scheme for the NGX. It seems somewhat possible, because PMDG is using the NGX as a springboard to cross-code their new aircraft models (which is dizzying- I can't wait for a larger bird with the full NGX functionality we are now accustomed to). There will no doubt be great movement within the sim support industry once the eagerly-awaited NGX SDK arrives. It will be heady times, yeah?Clearly, you have taken the initiative in writing your own scripts, I've not 'gone there' as yet. My VRInsight Combo II is enroute and I expect it any day. I went with the Boeing panel. Cost-wise, it's a better value for me as it incorporates the EFIS and COMMS as well as "some" of the MCP. No, it's not a drop-dead match for the real thing. Yet for a price point that is about what my Warthog throttle quadrant and joystick cost, I will gain some fast tactile control for the aircraft that I sorely lack. Just being able to switch the ND range or show terrain or traffic instantly will be a Godsend. Even with the many buttons and toggle switches on the Warthog, I find myself 'out of buttons' (unless I start going nuts with the shift function in Linda). It's amazing you own both the VRi Combo -and- the GF MCP. As Napoleon Dynamite would say: "LUCKY!...."I am intrigued with the VRInsight 737 Overhead Panel, wished it had functional gauges instead of a painted graphic in a couple of spots- but still, it's pretty cool. Some have complained it's "too small" and thus "unrealistic". I can see both sides of that argument. Full size would be WAY cool, even 3/4 scale.. the real item is about 12" by 11", but 'fits' atop a desk which I think is what VRi was shooting for when they designed it.

RQbrZCm.jpg

KqRTzMZ.jpg

Hi,

I 've just installed PMDG 737 NGX last week and I suffer a lot with my new hotas warthog config.

Could you explain me step by step the way to configure the thrust reversers ? I 'm not familiar with FSUIPC config and even less with LINDA soft ( just downloaded today )

Thanks you

Yayyyyy for us!! Kudos to you!

...lots more later if this thread las legs

Chas

My first sim flight simulator pD25zEJ.jpg

Take a ride to Stinking Creek! http://youtu.be/YP3fxFqkBXg Win10 Pro, GeForce GTX 1080TI/Rizen5 5600x  OCd,32 GB RAM,3x1920 x 1080, 60Hz , 27" Dell TouchScreen,TM HOTAS Warthog,TrackIR5,Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals HP reverbG2,Quest2

Ok, read the thread, Heluva job!!

Now I am champing at the bit to try it...

1.would you mind sharing your fsuipc.cfg files for my P3d?

2. Have you considered migrating to P3D?

Thanks,

Chas

Take a ride to Stinking Creek! http://youtu.be/YP3fxFqkBXg Win10 Pro, GeForce GTX 1080TI/Rizen5 5600x  OCd,32 GB RAM,3x1920 x 1080, 60Hz , 27" Dell TouchScreen,TM HOTAS Warthog,TrackIR5,Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals HP reverbG2,Quest2

Robert,this is a really very helpful thread.

Someday i will have the money to get the THW

and i wish that this thread will get a sticky.

Thank you very much for your hard work.

Michael

Many thanks indeed, Robert! :smile:Just one question — with no FSUIPC calibration now happening, how do you fix the throttle range "in front of the detent" to go from idle to max (do you still edit the fsuipc.ini file, perhaps)?Cheers and thanks,Brian

Actually, Brian, I did some further research and reading, PMDG is recommending NOT calibrating the controls within FSUIPC, but rather use the software that came with the controls or Windows itself to calibrate.

Now I am confused. With the above change to sending the throttles to FS, will this delete your previously posted fsuipc4.ini edit directions, or should we delete the .ini file and start over, loosing our other axis and button settings?

Thanks,

Chas

How can I see these posts WITH all the PICTURES you posted as well? Im pulling hair trying to make these Wart Hog HOTAS work with Saitek rudders..

interface button assignment tool called LINDA

Hello. This is very interesting but

I am unable to read your posted image files and that makes it more like a guessing.

Is it possible to post it again I have problems interfacing wartog with P3D

Henning R