Sign in to follow this  

Thank you, Microsoft!

I've read that Microsoft does scan this forum, so to bring things a bit into balance, I'd like to say: Thank you, Microsoft, for...1. ...giving us FS and all those years of pleasure.2. ...creating MS Flight: even though we don't yet really know what it will bring us, it's something new. You didn't have to do anything at all when it comes to flight simming/gaming, but you did, so thank you for that.No matter how you look at it, things can ONLY get better, not worse (really!), so... thanks!

The idea was that this would become a positive topic. I should have known better. Funny to see that the people who don't like MS Flight are the ones to post first. Seems you guys and gals are really very, very, very interested in MS Flight! Good! If you stick around long enough you might be in for a nice surprise! :wink:I really meant what I said when I said 'Things can only get better'. Don't you understand what I meant with that? Probably not because if you did, you wouldn't be posting negative things on this forum. :( I honestly don't understand the negativism when NOTHING is lost compared to what we had before MS Flight came into our loves and there are ONLY things to be gained.I am sincerely grateful for Microsoft to even THINK about doing something again with flying games/sims. The fact that a new product is about to be released should get us all excited! What is WRONG with this world that this results in so much negativity...? I am truly amazed.

Edited by J van E

The idea was that this would become a positive topic. I should have known better. Funny to see that the people who don't like MS Flight are the ones to post first. Seems you guys and gals are really very, very, very interested in MS Flight! Good! If you stick around long enough you might be in for a nice surprise! :wink:I really meant what I said when I said 'Things can only get better'. Don't you understand what I meant with that? Probably not because if you did, you wouldn't be posting negative things on this forum. :( I honestly don't understand the negativism when NOTHING is lost compared to what we had before MS Flight came into our loves and there are ONLY things to be gained.I am sincerely grateful for Microsoft to even THINK about doing something again with flying games/sims. The fact that a new product is about to be released should get us all excited! What is WRONG with this world that this results in so much negativity...? I am truly amazed.
Nice to see a thread with some optimism for Flight.When Aces were disbanded I thought that's the last of MS involvement with the genre.Plenty of negative threads here from the Doomsday brigade to vent their anger.Fact is nobody knows what Flight will turn into.Flight just might have a couple of surprises in store that haven't been revealed yet,we can only hope.

QUOTE REMOVED. POLITICAL.Yo! That's the spirit! ^_^Concerning your avatar: on the top right of this site you see a dropdown menu holding your name. Click on it and go to My settings: on the top of that page you will see Photo: click on the Change your photo button! The rest speaks for itself.P.S. You are of course very right about this world: my question was rethorical, really. But what you said makes all the moaning even more sad... Everyone who can participate in this forum may consider himself lucky already. Everyone who can play FSX (or Xplane or...) is a privileged man or woman. Let's be glad and thankful for what we have: a lot of people (in fact: most people) can only dream about all that we have.

Edited by Tom Allensworth

I honestly don't understand the negativism when NOTHING is lost compared to what we had before MS Flight came into our loves and there are ONLY things to be gained.
I think the negativety is not from what has been lost, but more from disappointment for what Flight appears to be as opposed to what it could have been. I can almost guarantee that everyone on this forum wanted MS Flight to be another simulator, and because at first glance it doesn't appear like this is the case, then comes the dissapointment/negativety.You are right though, we should all keep an open mind. After initial disappointment, I am now staying positive. Que sera sera Edited by spen2

Some people spend a lot of time enjoying FSX. The promise of Flight now seems dismal. That is then going to spill negative expressions into the forums. Should the people be denied civil expression if others are upset by negative comments? North Korea is a great haven for those that seek only positive thoughts.

regards,

Dick near Pittsburgh, USA

Some people spend a lot of time enjoying FSX. The promise of Flight now seems dismal. That is then going to spill negative expressions into the forums. Should the people be denied civil expression if others are upset by negative comments? North Korea is a great haven for those that seek only positive thoughts.
Of course people shouldn't be denied civil (!) expression :( but that's not my point. I also know people are disappointed and were expecting more, but as I said: nothing is lost, things won't get worse, it can only stay the same or even get better so... what's the problem? :wink:I have to add though that more and more people already seem to calm down and start seeing things in perspective after the initial disappointment has faded away. I wouldn't have posted what I did two weeks ago but apparently for some my post still came a bit too early. :(

Of course people shouldn't be denied civil (!) expression :( but that's not my point. I also know people are disappointed and were expecting more, but as I said: nothing is lost, things won't get worse, it can only stay the same or even get better so... what's the problem? :wink:I have to add though that more and more people already seem to calm down and start seeing things in perspective after the initial disappointment has faded away. I wouldn't have posted what I did two weeks ago but apparently for some my post still came a bit too early. :(
Many people were always calm. They were calmly expressing their views on a product that MS was very secretive about and still is. I consider myself in that calm group and I try to base my posts on what we know, not on gut feelings, past performance or other useless indicators.This thread is here to bait the other side. You were probably worshiping MS for the wonderful product that Vista was. As someone else posted, if people had your attitude towards that product, we would likely not have Win7.It is because people show their displeasure with products that companies are forced to improve them. Applauding MS for the abysmal introduction of Flight is counterproductive. Not that this thread will make a difference in a sea of negative sentiment towards Flight and MS in particular.Also, things can get worse because of Flight. It is 100% sure that some people will abandon FSX in favor of Flight. It is also 100% sure that people will continue to use FS9 and FSX and not Flight. So the community is fractured even further. It is bad enough that XP10 failed to unite the community behind one simulator, but now MS not only failed to do that, but further reduced the market for add-ons to multiple niche products.The initial disappointment has not faded away. Nothing has changed. No new information of substance to change our minds.People who went to MS last year had nothing hopeful to report, so these optimistic reports from beta testers are highly suspect to me. Reading Tom's blog does not mirror your enthusiasm. Let me quote:
the ACES Team were let go, with only a handful transferred to other sections of Microsoft. (I believe that there is one individual from the earlier ACES team that is on the FLIGHT team today.)In a very short period of time a tremendous amount of experience and talent were lost. From that point forward, there were two things that influenced the path to a new flight simulater; the pressure to improve margins and the loss of many man-years of experience and talent.
Yes, thank you MS. Very bright move this was.There was a time when Big Blue was the enemy and Bill cut it down to size. Now, MS is the epitome of the uncaring mega-corporation. I see nothing to applaud here.

I thank Microsoft for nothing, especially when they sent all our ACES friends to the unemployment line. Instead I thank all the third party developers, flight sim website operators and of course all of us (consumers) who made Flight Simulator what it is. Microsoft's contribution to create Flight Simulator was purely driven by profit... which isn't a bad thing, but should not be mistaken as an act of kindness for us.

Yes thanks, looking forward to flight next to my FSX of coarse.

Kimo

Good topic.Please MS, be a little more forthcoming at this point (can't go anywhere but up from here).

I worked in thermoplastic molding all my life before I retired, managing the installation of brand new thermoplastic molding facilities from concept to completion all over the world. And the technology changed dramatically, especially after computer control became practical. If I failed to keep up with the state-of-the-art technology, I would have been fired. Frankly, U.S.corporations in general allowed themselves to fall so far behind in the efficient use of computerized molding equipment development that it never fully recovered. A small family owned company (when I first used them) in Schwertberg, Austria (Engel) completely redefined plastics molding for the entire world simply because they had no corporate bureaucracy to get in their way. They are now the largest manufacturers of injection molding machined in the world, and for good reason. Take out of that whatever you will.Bob - Las Cruces, NM (Formerly Lecanto, Florida, Anderson, Indiana, and Palos Heights, Illinois)P.S. And that's why I want Austria and other beautiful places in the world that I've lived or experienced in my simulator. Who cannot want to be a bush pilot in Alaska after seeing all those amazing new shows flooding the "Discovery" type channels ? To roll out a program with Hawaii only is madness at it's finest.

Edited by Toys_R_Us

I've read that Microsoft does scan this forum, so to bring things a bit into balance, I'd like to say: Thank you, Microsoft, for...1. ...giving us FS and all those years of pleasure.
You can thank Bruce Artwick, Bill Gates and the Aces Team for that, but why thank Microsoft?
2. ...creating MS Flight: even though we don't yet really know what it will bring us, it's something new. You didn't have to do anything at all when it comes to flight simming/gaming, but you did, so thank you for that.
With Flight, Microsoft have taken the genre and debased it to the level of an arcade game. They have whittled away all the technical and advanced feature, put the pilot outside the aircraft as default, in an attempt to reduce it to the lowest common denominator for the widest possible audience. The philosophy is simple - mininum work and outlay, maximum profits. No freeware either, so they make even more money. Thank you indeed. Do we really need to thank people for making money for themselves, for locking out developers and banning freeware!those who deserve thanks are those who give to this genre at their own expense - the countless freeware developers, and the dedicated payware developers like A2A and PMDG. These are the ones who really give of themselves and deserve all the thanks. And of course the same goes for X-plane, and Austin too.

I've read that Microsoft does scan this forum, so to bring things a bit into balance, I'd like to say: Thank you, Microsoft, for...1. ...giving us FS and all those years of pleasure.2. ...creating MS Flight: even though we don't yet really know what it will bring us, it's something new. You didn't have to do anything at all when it comes to flight simming/gaming, but you did, so thank you for that.No matter how you look at it, things can ONLY get better, not worse (really!), so... thanks!
Kill them with kindness... :Whistle:I might work (I doubt it). I'm open to try anything at this point...

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

Do you really believe 3rd party developer are doing what they do because they "Feel the love for you?" They are no different than MS or me as far as that goes!
You clearly don't have a clue about what it takes to develop and bring FS add-ons to market.

Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.