Sign in to follow this  
nudata

Will Flight Hurt FSX Addon Vendors?

Simmerhead,look at the pics. and vid.of Flight released by MS and tell me you don't want to have more area covered like that, if there is enough peoples who want them they will build them (if the price is right of course) I mean, we are already buying area like PNW or Australia so why not buying them from MS if they are as good or better, I would.I don't fly over Africa, Iran or Russia, that does not mean MS can't make them, they will if there is enough buyers, it's call demand and supply, who's making FSX's addons for Russia or Iran right now......there is not enough demand for them right now, what do you think Orbx will do if 20,000 customers were welling to prepay for Stalingrad airport at $32.99au.....take a guess, now how many customers do you think MS can reach with their store.....It's like I said before, if the big fish are not in with MS and MS can't keep up with a demand they possibly can create....a smaller fish wanting to be big will take their place.

Actually I am currently working with high quality Tehran photorealistic for FSX, will have also some custom autogen buildings placed on top of photoscenery too to make it look a bit more depth... Will be available at Simmarket just in case anyone is interested. Of course there is probably not too much demand for sceneries to that area, but anyways making sceneries is just one way to spend some of my freetime, not something I would do to really earn much. Anyways about Flight, I rather take even poor quality default area of Iran like in FSX than no Iran at all because there is no enough demand.

Actually I am currently working with high quality Tehran photorealistic for FSX, will have also some custom autogen buildings placed on top of photoscenery too to make it look a bit more depth... Will be available at Simmarket just in case anyone is interested.Of course there is probably not too much demand for sceneries to that area, but anyways making sceneries is just one way to spend some of my freetime, not something I would do to really earn much.Anyways about Flight, I rather take even poor quality default area of Iran like in FSX than no Iran at all because there is no enough demand.
I see where you'r comming from but like I said long time ago Flight will not be business as usual.....

I see where you'r comming from but like I said long time ago Flight will not be business as usual.....
I'm with pvjinflight here. Flight Simulator is all about world coverage. Without it I'll have to find a new hobby...

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

Don't worry, you won't have any issues with Flight add-ons because some of the stuff will just not be needed or available any more.There will be no need for various mesh upgrades, ground/cloud texture upgrades or different airport complexities.MS will decide what it wants to make and that will be it. If you want a better mesh, tough. You don't like the sky color because it is unnatural, tough. You want airports with follow-me cars and people unloading planes. Ha-ha.So, yeah, there won't be any problems with updates either, because there won't be any. You will be able to complain all you want about your plane moving with engines at idle while you stand on the brakes. Who is going to care? MS? Right.I am sure the code will be updated more often than it was with FSX, but I don't see content ever being updated unless it is a catastrophic problem. The money is in new DLC, not in fixing what you already paid for.And in two years time, MS can simply stop making DLC and start working on Flight 2, so you can start hoping and collecting add-ons again.

Atila,Why did JV said that again?.... Quote" We see no reason why anyone would walk away from 5 years of FSX addons investment to a new simulator. " end of quote. .....because Flight is a coin game and JV is impartial, nothing to do with Orbx selling addons for FSX..... right?I mean if Flight is a coin game and just a coin game JV has nothing to worry about.....right....so why pushing FSX and Prepar3D, mind you Aerosoft is pushing XP-10?Let me tell you something, if Flight is (or close to) like I described it in my post # 43 I'll leave FSX in a heart beat without looking back.

Edited by alainneedle1

Atila,Why did JV said that again?.... Quote" We see no reason why anyone would walk away from 5 years of FSX addons investment to a new simulator. " end of quote. .....because Flight is a coin game and JV is impartial, nothing to do with Orbx selling addons for FSX..... right?I mean if Flight is a coin game and just a coin game JV has nothing to worry about.....right....so why pushing FSX and Prepar3D, mind you Aerosoft is pushing XP-10?Let me tell you something, if Flight is (or close to) like I described it in my post # 43 I'll leave FSX in a heart beat without looking back.
+1I am already 99% sure MS Flight will satisfy my GA needs in the future. But it could well be I will keep FSX installed for my 737NGX needs (although I fly that one just a few times a year). I will be HAPPY to leave FSX behind me.

Seriously? No one has become "rich off of the FS sim." Some have made enough to remain viable as a cottage business.
That's all very true.In fact, according to popular rumor, Father Bill originally wanted the S-Class version, but had to settle from the smaller C-Class version instead :crazy:It's like something out of a Charles Dicken's novel...Popemobile+Displayed+Ahead+State+Visit+Pope+BpO5SMKfv-Ql.jpg

If no addon developers are interested in creating stuff for MS Flight, then Microsoft will have to do it all themselves......and that isn't going to get us anywhere as far as wide scale coverage is concerned.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

If no addon developers are interested in creating stuff for MS Flight, then Microsoft will have to do it all themselves......and that isn't going to get us anywhere as far as wide scale coverage is concerned.
As it stands, there's no SDK for Flight, so we can't develop addons for it even if we wanted to.And even if MS did put out an SDK at some point in the future, I would expect it to come with a lot of conditions that developers would find unfavorable, indeed untenable, especially given that making FS addons often involves doing things... how shall I put it... "outside the box".And if Microsoft is anything like Apple, I don't think they're going to want us operating "outside the box", which is going to make building complex 3rd party planes and utilities very difficult, because such planes and utilities are almost always built "outside of the box", namely, outside the parameters of the SDK.

As it stands, there's no SDK for Flight, so we can't develop addons for it even if we wanted to.And even if MS did put out an SDK at some point in the future, I would expect it to come with a lot of conditions that developers would find unfavorable, indeed untenable, especially given that making FS addons often involves doing things... how shall I put it... "outside the box".
I thought that there will be SDK, but its available only for those who make agreement with Microsoft and then their product will be sold through Live Market and part of the income naturally goes to MS.

Who cares about addon aircraft if you have to circle around "islands" of scenery in them...

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

Christopher, what do you mean by no addon developers are interested in creating stuff, who are they, are you talking about the big fish only like Orbx or PMDG, the one who openly talked about Flight on Avsim's forum....So you really think that if MS want to find good developers they have to take the big fish only, another word, who ever is working on Flight right now (employed by MS) are not as good as any FSX 3PD.If I listen to some 3PD developers (big fish) I feel like without them Flight as no future what so ever....really....they are that indispensable....peleaaaaase give me a break.Bryan, I read your post as I was typing mine, I see that you are a commercial member (what company, I don't know) so I'm assuming you are a 3PD, it is true that there is not public SDK released for Flght, assuming you are not developing for Flight right now let me ask you this, if MS was to post some jobs opening as a scenery or plane developers for Flight under their conditions (assuming you can make money) would you take a look at their job offer, I bet you would, you may have to make scenery for the area they want you to, or the plane they want you to make, but what the heck you'r not doing anything for Flight right now, so developing for Flight may be interresting, income wise....

Edited by alainneedle1

I'll repete myself, The best selling add on's for FSX will be the best selling add on's for Flight.
That will be Abacus then. A firm favourite around these parts...

Konrad

Christopher, what do you mean by no addon developers are interested in creating stuff, who are they, are you talking about the big fish only like Orbx or PMDG, the one who openly talked about Flight on Avsim's forum....So you really think that if MS want to find good developers they have to take the big fish only, another word, who ever is working on Flight right now (employed by MS) are not as good as any FSX 3PD.If I listen to some 3PD developers (big fish) I feel like without them Flight as no future what so ever....really....they are that indispensable....peleaaaaase give me a break.Bryan, I read your post as I was typing mine, I see that you are a commercial member (what company, I don't know) so I'm assuming you are a 3PD, it is true that there is not public SDK released for Flght, assuming you are not developing for Flight right now let me ask you this, if MS was to post some jobs opening as a scenery or plane developers for Flight under their conditions (assuming you can make money) would you take a look at their job offer, I bet you would, you may have to make scenery for the area they want you to, or the plane they want you to make, but what the heck you'r not doing anything for Flight right now, so developing for Flight may be interresting, income wise....
You have to realize some of the words you are using...say "job". That's exactly what MS is offering 3PDs. It seems to me MS does not have enough people to do the job and wants sub-contractors. Regardless of what the profit sharing scheme is, doing what MS assigns you at the quality MS decides and then giving up your IP means you become an employee of MS. That's not what an independent company wants to become. I suspect MS wants all this without actually putting up any money up front and if the product they assigned to you does not sell, you are SOL.

Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.