Sign in to follow this  
nudata

Will Flight Hurt FSX Addon Vendors?

@ Johnny Thunder, you are making some valid point but.... Where will the addons be made is not the problem, how good will they be CAN be a problem, JV's quote "they must have installed our scenery into Flight"....well, as far as I know Orbx never made addons for Hawaii so where did MS (supposedly) installed Orbx scenery...other part of the world seems plausible to me....about you?As I said from the beginning, several devs were in bed with MS, now we all know that was the truth, I also said that one of them was trying to be the main player in Flight......so to me there is not that many reason why MS closed the door to the devs involved in the project.1: Big disagrement $$$ wise between MS and the devs (or some of them), MS's rules and some may have not like to be told where and what scenery or plane to make....the table was turned on them.2: MS knew what they were doing all along and gave the shaft to the devs. after sucking them up of all the valuable info they had... If you have a better idea I would like to hear it.....

^^ My gut reaction is option number 2.What Microsoft dose is just practical bussness sense to those who live in the bussness world; What they want to do is buy content for as cheap as possable and sell it for as much as possable to make the most revanue. When Microsoft executives realized that FSX content devlopers were actully making money off selling content for flight simulator, they realized that making flight sim using the old modal (I.E. make a compleat game and sell it for $50) was not as profitable as it could be.So what I think happend is that MS executives went to the developers of FSX back in 2009 and said "Hey, we want you to use a new closed development model for the flight simulator, one were we sell all the content and make all the money those 3ed party devlopers have been making..." When the development team said no, because they realized FSX 3ed party devlopers are what made FSX what it is today, microsoft fired them all and hired a new team who would agree to the new terms.Thus we have microsoft flight which is "Free" the same way that herion dealers give you your first dose of their drugs for free. After that, EVERYONE needs to buy their content if they want to have a full game. It's not just the 40,000 people who buy flight simulator content from 3PDs, but everyone who buys flight simulator ever! They will be forced to convert to the cult of DLC junkiehood if they wanna have a compleat game, bordening the market from 40,000 to 100,000+! Then consider adding consoles to that mix, and the market gets bumped up again to something like 400,000+ people buying hundreads of dollars worth of content every month!Do you understand how much money there is to be made here? Microsoft wants it all, that is the nature of Microsoft. And the biggest threat to Microsoft getting all that money is 3PDs that can make the same content but better and sell it on their website. Microsoft wants to shut them down, or buy them out if they can't; Problem is, they can just shut them down by having the market place inside the game and making it impossable to add FSX content to MS Flight- which is what they are doing.It's that sad state of things we live in today.

Edited by Johnny Thunder

It'a a bit of both, the devs new from the get go that Flight would have a market place inside the game, the main fonction for the market place was to reduce or try to eliminate piracy as much as possible.Piracy a a big problem for 3PD, even if the 3PD were to sell the same amount of addons thrue the store for the same price (assuming they will get the same profit) as they are now they will end up with more money in their pockets.Controlling piracy was not the only thing that make the devs. excited about Flight, the exposure was a BIG DEAL, I mean how many customers do you think they would have been able to reach using MS's store compare to all customers they are reaching now....the numbers of sales MS anticipated would have been enough to make who ever was involved very happy, you can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar....Trust me, there is more to the story, what is written here is the tip of the iceberg.MS's game MS's rules, and this is why I said a long time ago, Flight will not be business a usual.....

i hope they allow add ons eventually, if they dont, harcore simmers will draw back too FSX.

I think FSX was it for PC flight simmers, they will never make one better... kinda like windows XP.However, good things could still come out of MS flight. It could flush out a dorment market on consoles that nobody knew exsisted before. I think the best case senario is that MS Flight dose extrodnarly well on consoles. If it dose well enough, microsoft could start making and selling custom hardware for the game. Eventuly this would evolve until people could set up FAA certified flight sims for relativly little money on the console in their living room. Even better would be if the FAA got on board and started using Xbox live to check your proficiencies and test you for real world aviation. It could lead to a whole new way for people to get their pllots licenses! Or just cheap hardware for us PC flight simmers.

Edited by Johnny Thunder

However, good things could still come out of MS flight. It could flush out a dorment market on consoles that nobody knew exsisted before.
Since it won't be available "on consoles" I wonder just how this could possibly happen? Flight is a "PC only" title... :(

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Bill, either folks don't read or their comprehension level is low for the month.... :(

Best Regards,

Ron Hamilton PP|ASEL

Forumsig16.png

Thus we have microsoft flight which is "Free" the same way that herion dealers give you your first dose of their drugs for free.
This is very true and scary stuff. But it will not work unless MS delivers a superior product to anything else available - including it;s legacy simms FS9 and FSX.

I think FSX was it for PC flight simmers, they will never make one better... kinda like windows XP.However, good things could still come out of MS flight. It could flush out a dorment market on consoles that nobody knew exsisted before. I think the best case senario is that MS Flight dose extrodnarly well on consoles. If it dose well enough, microsoft could start making and selling custom hardware for the game. Eventuly this would evolve until people could set up FAA certified flight sims for relativly little money on the console in their living room. Even better would be if the FAA got on board and started using Xbox live to check your proficiencies and test you for real world aviation. It could lead to a whole new way for people to get their pllots licenses! Or just cheap hardware for us PC flight simmers.
Fs2004 was more like WinXP, while FSX was a Vista showcase software and sadly got infected with the Vista virus. Lets hope that the best is yet to come with a Win7 equivalent flight sim.

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

Fs2004 was more like WinXP, while FSX was a Vista showcase software and sadly got infected with the Vista virus. Lets hope that the best is yet to come with a Win7 equivalent flight sim.
I personally think Flight will be more like a Win8 equivalent, since Win7 is not that different from Vista.

Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.