Sign in to follow this  
Benjamin J

Opinions on Shanghai Pudong by EAS

Hey guys,I was wondering if people know this scenery:http://secure.simmarket.com/eas-zspd-shanghai-pudong-intl-airport.phtmlI've been eyeing it some time but always got turned off because of the apron and taxiway textures and the price. For such a price, I want a FSDT style airport, and that's not what I'm apparently getting. Does anybody own this airport, and if so, what do you think? I really want a good Shanghai Pudong airport scenery to fly Air Koryo flights between Shanghai and Pyongyang with the PT Tu-154B2.

Benjamin van Soldt

Windows 10 64bit - i5-8600k @ 4.7GHz - ASRock Fatality K6 Z370 - EVGA GTX1070 SC 8GB VRAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3200MHz - Samsung 960 Evo SSD M.2 NVMe 500GB - 2x Samsung 860 Evo SSD 1TB (P3Dv4/5 drive) - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM - Seasonic FocusPlus Gold 750W - Noctua DH-15S - Fractal Design Focus G (White) Case

Did you read the review at the link above?"Messy approach data. It is full of mistakes. I could not use the ILS approach with ATC. It is because nothing is set to the way point. Buildings are beautiful. but low framerate, too much heavy scenery."

Messed up approach data is very common with 3rd party developers. I have had to make corrections with stuff from FSDT in the past. Don't get me wrong, I am not an approach ######, I just want the default ATC to give me a ILS approach when it is appropriate.

MSFS Premium Deluxe Edition; Windows 11 Pro, I9-9900k; Asus Maximus XI Hero; Asus TUF RTX3080TI; 32GB G.Skill Ripjaw DDR4 3600; 2X Samsung 1TB 970EVO; NZXT Kraken X63; Seasonic Prime PX-1000, LG 48" C1 Series OLED, Honeycomb Yoke & TQ, CH Rudder Pedals, Logitech G13 Gamepad 

I know maybe I should stay quiet since I do NOT own this addon.But as a scenery maniac, I can't help adding my two eurocents.If you have some experience in buying, having and using scenery addons, I don't think it is essential to buy an addon to have an opinion on it.In 90% of cases it is well enough to look at the screenshots and have some good thinking afterwards. In this case I can't force myself to watch more than some ten images.Enough to tell me I would rather not fly there if it was freeware. And paying 31 euro to make sure? Well...Another factor you should take into consideration is the addon's popularity. This one was released over one year ago. How much popularity did it get? How many screenshots or videos featuring it have you seen?Did anyone insist on AES credits for it? Does the developer's name sound familiar to you? Especially that ZSPD is not a where-is-it regional type aerodrome. It is one of Asia's most important pax and cargo hubs.I always take such things into consideration before I make a purchase decision.I, both aviation and Asia freak, would be first to buy a quality ZSPD or ZBAA.But somehow I am sure there is none so far. Neither for FSX nor for FS9 by the way (the old Samsoft version does not meet today's standards).Please don't blame me for having a little harsh opinion, but spending 30 euro should be well thought, shouldn't it? :(

Edited by Rafal

Having done a freeware ZSPD I have some interest. I think in general there is a lack of attention to Asia. For me just getting the terminal buildings would be a help -- the architecture of these new major terminals in Asia doesn't make for easy modeling.In discussing the approach data, a major problem you have in China is that the position data in FSX is for the most part wrong, due to China's data not being in WGS-84 and corrections not being made by MS. Recently China has been updating all its data to WGS-84, but it would be a huge effort to correct. In my ZSPD, I left the airport in the default (wrong) location but it aligns with the default VORs and waypoints, and doesn't also mess up ZSSS. The problem comes if you try to also model accurate terrain. So I would want to see how this designer located the airport.scott s..

Edited by scott967

Was MS unable to convert Chinese data from what ever datum is used in China? That sounds really sloppy considering different coordinate systems/datums are used all of the world. As long as you know what coordinate system was originally used, you can convert one to the other.BTW, My earlier comment was not a promotion of the scenery. I saw it and I didn't think it was worth it either. I was just stating that many excellent developers miss the mark on approach data and ADE files.Also, I agree that you do not need to own a scenery to make a judgement. The screen shots should sell the scenery and if they don't it says something about the developer.

MSFS Premium Deluxe Edition; Windows 11 Pro, I9-9900k; Asus Maximus XI Hero; Asus TUF RTX3080TI; 32GB G.Skill Ripjaw DDR4 3600; 2X Samsung 1TB 970EVO; NZXT Kraken X63; Seasonic Prime PX-1000, LG 48" C1 Series OLED, Honeycomb Yoke & TQ, CH Rudder Pedals, Logitech G13 Gamepad 

I know maybe I should stay quiet since I do NOT own this addon.But as a scenery maniac, I can't help adding my two eurocents.If you have some experience in buying, having and using scenery addons, I don't think it is essential to buy an addon to have an opinion on it.In 90% of cases it is well enough to look at the screenshots and have some good thinking afterwards. In this case I can't force myself to watch more than some ten images.Enough to tell me I would rather not fly there if it was freeware. And paying 31 euro to make sure? Well...Another factor you should take into consideration is the addon's popularity. This one was released over one year ago. How much popularity did it get? How many screenshots or videos featuring it have you seen?Did anyone insist on AES credits for it? Does the developer's name sound familiar to you? Especially that ZSPD is not a where-is-it regional type aerodrome. It is one of Asia's most important pax and cargo hubs.I always take such things into consideration before I make a purchase decision.I, both aviation and Asia freak, would be first to buy a quality ZSPD or ZBAA.But somehow I am sure there is none so far. Neither for FSX nor for FS9 by the way (the old Samsoft version does not meet today's standards).Please don't blame me for having a little harsh opinion, but spending 30 euro should be well thought, shouldn't it? :(
I don't blame you, and as a matter of fact, I agree with you. That's the reason I started the thread: to make sure that what I understand from the pics and overall idea I get from the scenery is correct. As such, I would like to hear from somebody who has the scenery. It's for that final 10%.Messy approach data isn't my concern, to be honest. I anyway use Navigraph, and if some ILS frequencies are incorrect, I can always change them to match Navigraph's data.In the end, I think I might just buy it, or review it or whatever. I'll post here afterwards to share my experience.EDIT: just saw they have a forum! Apparently, a free expansion package, including AES support, is coming our way: http://forum.simflight.com/topic/67129-zspd-expansion-package/

Benjamin van Soldt

Windows 10 64bit - i5-8600k @ 4.7GHz - ASRock Fatality K6 Z370 - EVGA GTX1070 SC 8GB VRAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3200MHz - Samsung 960 Evo SSD M.2 NVMe 500GB - 2x Samsung 860 Evo SSD 1TB (P3Dv4/5 drive) - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM - Seasonic FocusPlus Gold 750W - Noctua DH-15S - Fractal Design Focus G (White) Case

I think I might just buy it, or review it or whatever. I'll post here afterwards to share my experience.
As you wish, Benjamin, anyway it is YOUR 31 euro. Big%20Grin.gif Even FlyTampa, FSDT, UK2000 and Aerosoft sceneries are much cheaper. And just compare them....If you are (I am definitely not) satisfied with the way the scenery looks in the screenshots, I see no reason indeed not to give it a try.I am aware the visuals are not essential to everybody and even if they are, we all have different demands or simply tastes. And that is perfectly fine!I will eagerly read your impressions after you share them with us.Good luck!

As you wish, Benjamin, anyway it is YOUR 31 euro. Big%20Grin.gifEven FlyTampa, FSDT, UK2000 and Aerosoft sceneries are much cheaper. And just compare them....
I know Rafal, I know. That's why i was thinking of doing a review :(

Benjamin van Soldt

That's why i was thinking of doing a review
Smart, smart! :(

FYI: I will be doing a review of this scenery over at simflight.com :)

Benjamin van Soldt