Sign in to follow this  
kerke

FSX: Windows XP 32bit or Windows 7 64bit?

I will try to run FSX on my old Dell XPS 410, which has 8GB RAM, Intel Core2 2.4GHz CPU and NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GTX+ 512MB graphics.First question, regardless of what operating system I install, will FSX be 'usable' on a weak machine like this?If I instal FSX on this machine, what OS will give me the best performance: Windows XP 32bit or Windows 7 64 bit?Thank you in advance,Kerke

Guest firehawk44

Your system meets the minimum requirements for FSX - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/925724. Windows 7, 64 bit manages memory better than Windows XP, 32 bit. Some like XP, some like Windows 7. FSX works well in both. If you get the 32 bit version of XP, you'll have to install the /3GB switch so FSX can see at least 3 GB of memory. You won't with a 64 bit system.Best regards,Jim

I have a similar machine (XPS-410, 4G, GTX240, QQ6600 @2.6Mhz)I had ok performance with FSX before re-installing using Nick's Guide and Bojote's tweaks. Now I run with an external limiter set to 30fps, and I get very improved performance. I am actually running under Vista HP.I would think that your best bet would be the 64 bit OS.

David Norman Paul

I would probably go for Win7 64, runs great on it and the OS it a lot more stable than XP ever was !!!G

Gary Davies aka "Gazzareth"

Simming since 747 on the Acorn Electron

I have a similar machine (XPS-410, 4G, GTX240, QQ6600 @2.6Mhz)I had ok performance with FSX before re-installing using Nick's Guide and Bojote's tweaks. Now I run with an external limiter set to 30fps, and I get very improved performance. I am actually running under Vista HP.I would think that your best bet would be the 64 bit OS.
Would you mind posting a link to Nick's Guide and Bojote's tweaks? Thank you!!!

Windows 7 64bit. If you go for 32 bit it won't use more than 4Gb of your RAM even with the switch.

Tom Wright

Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) | Intel Core i7 4770k @ 4.3GHz | 16GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM | GTX 1060 6GB | Samsung 860 EVO 500GB | Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Sidestick + Quadrant | Xbox Series S

I used to have similar system. Stock scenery and aircraft run ok, a little over 10 fps. For addon planes check the reviews about performance. Only the most cpu friendly aircraft will fly worth anything. Trial versions, where available, are great for testing!

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

Windows 7 64bit all the way. Nevermind the ram issue, I got a noticeable improvement in general FSX performance too.

I used to have similar system. Stock scenery and aircraft run ok, a little over 10 fps. For addon planes check the reviews about performance. Only the most cpu friendly aircraft will fly worth anything. Trial versions, where available, are great for testing!
Is 10fps really "ok"? I'm not one of these people who need at least 45fps to be happy, far from it, but surely 10 is unflyable? It's not hugely different from my machine and I get 60fps with a stock FSX installation. (Admittedly after tweaking it like it was my day job for 6 months) Edited by TheBFG

Yeah, I get about the same, 60fps, stock with the system in my Sig.It was only with a similar system to the original poster, about 10 to 20, which was flyable, but I used FS9 instead....Everyone might be able to afford Sandy Bridge a couple months after the new Intel Ivy Bridges are released, if they already have a cool enough case and good enough powersupply. All it will take is MB and CPU, perhaps 8 GB memory as well. Many cheaper memories sticks run perfectly fine in overclocked with Sandy Bridge systems. Many cheap 1300 memory being as good as say 1600, in general no difference in FSX if one first studies up and buy chips that have worked for other people (from what I read this is very reasonable approach)... Probably around June if Ivy Bridge comes out in early April, the latest release guesstimate I read...

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

Ecosse_821, all: Thank you so much for your input. I tweaked my FSX following Nicks guide, used Bojote's FSX.cfg and I am using the external FPS limiter. My FSX now runs as well as my FS9 used to run, very fluid!THANK YOU!Nick's Guide: http://www.simforums...topic29041.htmlBojote's Tweak-o-matic: http://www.venetubo.com/fsx.htmlExternal FPS limiter: http://www.vaafse.org/simskunkworks/...imiter_0.2.rar