Sign in to follow this  
Rush1169

Flight is to Audio CDs as FSX is to Cassette Tapes

And, honestly, the graphics and performance of Flight are not "holy cow, how can I ever go back to FSX!".
Yep, that's what happend when FSX came out. Many stayed with FS2004 (and remain to this day). FSXI, with 3PD add-ons remaining largely compatible, would have suffered the same plight with even fewer convertees. MS took FSX to it's limits in terms of features-for-the-price and there simply isn't much else to do with it. Heck, there's not a whole lot 3PDs can do that even they haven't done, much less some start-up coming on the scene and taking the risk of trying to "one up" Orbx or PMDG or Carenado. The established 3PDs should rejoice at the mere thought that *maybe* they will be able to sell their existing inventory again as well as to new blood of those who were our age when we first took control of the yoke (I was 13 and now 42). . .

Jimmy Angel, on 16 January 2012 - 05:52 PM, said:And, honestly, the graphics and performance of Flight are not "holy cow, how can I ever go back to FSX!".Yep, that's what happend when FSX came out. Many stayed with FS2004 (and remain to this day).
Excellent analysis.I stayed with FS9 because there just weren't enough revolutionary advancements in FSX that could make me decide to abandon my investment in FS9, and start all over again with FSX. Instead of exciting the entire FS9 fan base to move to FSX, MS only succeeded in splitting an already fragile market. It would have been better if they didn't just rush to bring out the next version within the time frame that marketing said they should, but rather wait a bit longer until the studio had actually written a true "next-gen" version of FS.

Ditto. Flight could end up the BetaMax of simulators :)
Don't know if Betamax is the right analogy since Sony retooled the format into Betacam and later Betacam SP which dominted the professional video production industry for almost two decades.

Don't know if Betamax is the right analogy since Sony retooled the format into Betacam and later Betacam SP which dominted the professional video production industry for almost two decades.
. . .or maybe it is the right analogy . . .lol Edited by Rush1169

Cassettes get ate up too :( by tape players . Flight Simulator X it was not the flying was the problem it was some of the things they did under da hood that was a problem. Have to tweak it to death to get running correctly. Flight Simulator X it was running into bottle necks in terms of technical design, and its was poorly designed for most computers people have, and that why a lot people stuck with fs2004. In the last 2 years FSX is actually gotten to the point a mid priced new computer can run it decent. CD get starched too and newer not always easier to fiddle with or work with. Give free download a chance may get tiki-girl included.

Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.