Sign in to follow this  
bakaman

FSX + NGX : Some Performances "Tip-Tips" . A new FSX experience

Hi Fellas,Today my FSX experience was taken to another level by doing some tweaks. So what came up to my mind after 2hrs flight from Quito to Aruba was: "you cannot keep these tweaks to yourself"! So thats why i decided to post here. I'm 100% sure that there will be a couple of posts from people thinkin that they are always right, and/or know everything about this FS thing: I won't just answer to that. If you love the NGX just like i do and you think that your system needs a little more tweaking then you are in the right place.Alright, initially my system was clocked at 4.6GHZ but i used to notice some annoying stutters. I defrag'ed several times but it did not help. I've tried tons of things i read about on this forum but nothing helped until a guy named Turbine777 quoted one of my post saying that i should try the NVIDIA inspector or whatever.... So this morning when i woke up i started the beast and did 2 things:1- My rig is now set to 4,9Ghz (with respect to vcore limits and CPU temps )2- I changed some options in my NVIDIA control Panel: Pictures are attached, check 'em out.The result is AMAZING !!!!!!! See, i'm a simmer since the Sierra Pro pilot simulator: I've never had such a fantastic experience of Flight simulation. I get some crazy FPS. For example:- No less than 55 fps when in cruise (in busy areas such as Paris) with a maximum of mega_shok.gif and an average of 65 to 70 fps. I just completed a flight from Quito to Aruba (Both are some payware sceneries: actually i have so much sceneries now that i never fly to default airports, except Dakar )and my fps didn't drop below 45 fps at those airports. In conclusion my performances have increase about 7 to 10%.-STUTTERS JUST VANISHED !!!!! You can not imagine how much i'm happy!The only thing is that these settings are for people using Nvidia cards. Sorry for ATI owners!I'm enjoying this sim so much that after landing at TNCA i launched another flight to KMIA from latin vfr. (a FPS killer from my experience). Right now I'm cruising on IVAO under Copa Airlines colors . I'll let you know what are my FPS at destination.I'll also put together a video to share with you. Thats something i've been wanting to do for a long time, but I'm so lazy.....( you guys have no idea).Also My simple recommendation are:FSX in windowed mode allowing to travel EASYLY between FSX, TOPCAT, EFB AIVLASOFT, FSBUILD AND IVAP(Personally i run all these programs simultaneously). That way if ivap crashes your sim is still up and running. One last thing is sync off when tweaking your cfg file at Bojote website (if not it'll reduce your fps for nothing at least in the configuration I'm talking about).I guess thats pretty much it, and i also would like to add that you guys can feel free to contact me if you want to have some infos about any FSX payware, because i have 'em all (or almost all): I'd be glad to share with you performances matters at any airports or discuss about whatever you want.Really hope this will help you !Happy new year and enjoy the NGX !

That would be Dan, as always, a great font of knowledge and ever so helpful. I reckon he carries the mantle of the late great Opa Marshall. Nice one, Dan

Wow 32x AA.. That would bring my system to a hault. I guess I should of went for the i5 instead and picked up the 580 gtx.

Wow 32x AA.. That would bring my system to a hault. I guess I should of went for the i5 instead and picked up the 580 gtx.
i guess you can try something lower ! i just maxed out mine to see what happen. Since I'm doin fine....its all good.Anyway, i just landed at KMIA international airport and my FPS were jumping from 28 to 34 fps. Edited by bakaman

I tried them just now and my FPS were the same as before locked at 30.. but the autogen was shimmering and i was having some texture flashes.. I use nvidia Inspect though.

You think this will work with 560Ti ? I am currently using the settings pinned at the top of these forums.
you are talking about the pics on this topic right? Of course you can try . and i think you can get good results as long as you have a top notch cpu, since fsx is directly linked to your cpu capabilities. I remember the emails exchanged with Ryan when i was choosing my GPU: he advised 560TI, 570 and 580: he also mentioned that there was no (noticeable) difference between these GPU in FSX. SO YES. lol

I tried them just now and my FPS were the same as before locked at 30.. but the autogen was shimmering and i was having some texture flashes.. I use nvidia Inspect though.
I dont personaly. But did you try the bojote tweaks with my recom and running fs in windowed mode sync off?PS: fps unlimited in fsx

I tried the settings above on my system and only got a 2 FPS loss....8 FPS to 6 FPS in FlyTampa KBOS at Dusk sitting in the 744X....Maybe a lower AA setting? And yes, I'm fully aware of what a piece of crap my system is, but one can dream... :(

Edited by Wendall

I can't visually tell the difference between 8x and 32x.. granted I'm only on a 19" monitor right now, so maybe that has somthing to do with it.

I tried the settings above on my system and only got a 2 FPS loss....8 FPS to 6 FPS in FlyTampa KBOS at Dusk sitting in the 744X....Maybe a lower AA setting?
see my spec in my signature, they are very different from yours.....furthermore i really don't understand how you get single digit fps in fsx. Iwas running fsx on an iMac 27 2,8ghz and never get something lower than 15fps. Let me add that my density and autogen are set to normal and water settings to low 2x or something like that Edited by bakaman

Sorry, I got to burst your bubble, a bit.This does make FSX perform generally good, but with the sacrifice of the picture quality.This is your setting (around 31fps in this shot):This is my setting (around 29fps in this shot):Now, the difference is I run 8xS + 2x SGSS (Sparse Grid Supersampling) - a full scene supersampling, something other modes don't achieve - thus giving better performance.Also with your setting there are way too many jaggies on the external model for my taste.SGSS is known to kill the performance, just try 4x SGSS with clouds. GTX580 is virtually eating through 2x, but 4x is killing it.EDIT: Please note that JPG compression makes these shots even worse. Especially 2nd one, which is way cleaner uncompressed.

Edited by Kosta

running in windowed mode for me decreases my fps by at least 5not a very good solution for me
oops sorry for you. very weird because for me it is just the opposite. windowed mode allows multitasking and is a way for me to avoid ctd. Whereas full screen mode forces me to alt+enter all the time resulting in ctd, graphical pbs. FSX HATES ALT+ENTER.

FSX HATES ALT+ENTER.
Mine doesn't. I've never had a crash during alt+enter.