Sign in to follow this  
Superpilotv2

Offset setting and its influence on Vcore and temparatures on an 4,5 GHz OC

Hi guys,I´m currently trying to get my system running at 4.5 GHz. i had it on 4.2 Ghz for about a half a year now and it performs quite good. but after the GFX card upgrade (only 60% GPU usage instead of 100% before) and the NGX I thoughtI could get it a bit higher. I made now severals testwith various osffset valuesa nd got interesting results:My basic configuration @ 4,2 GHz (7/24): Vcore 1,328 - 1,32 V and 70 - 73°CFirst test @ 4,5 GHz with settings from Word Not Allowed (a bit tweaked for my case): Offset 0,160: 1,52V and 89°C Offset 0,080: 1,44 - 1,424 V and 85°C Offset 0,070: 1,424 - 1,416 V and temps max at 86°C but mostly arround 81°CI don´t think I have a lot more room to get the Offset down. If I can´t get the Vcore under 1,4V and the temps arround 75°C (Which should be archiveable) I´ll have to clock down but then It won´t be a big difference from the stable 4,2 GHz setting.

Hi guys,I´m currently trying to get my system running at 4.5 GHz. i had it on 4.2 Ghz for about a half a year now and it performs quite good. but after the GFX card upgrade (only 60% GPU usage instead of 100% before) and the NGX I thoughtI could get it a bit higher. I made now severals testwith various osffset valuesa nd got interesting results:My basic configuration @ 4,2 GHz (7/24): Vcore 1,328 - 1,32 V and 70 - 73°CFirst test @ 4,5 GHz with settings from Word Not Allowed (a bit tweaked for my case): Offset 0,160: 1,52V and 89°C Offset 0,080: 1,44 - 1,424 V and 85°C Offset 0,070: 1,424 - 1,416 V and temps max at 86°C but mostly arround 81°CI don´t think I have a lot more room to get the Offset down. If I can´t get the Vcore under 1,4V and the temps arround 75°C (Which should be archiveable) I´ll have to clock down but then It won´t be a big difference from the stable 4,2 GHz setting.
Are those temps in FSX?

Can someone explain Offset for me?I can't seem to grasp it for some reason.

Can someone explain Offset for me?I can't seem to grasp it for some reason.
It's an increment or decrement to the base Vcore. The base Vcore depends on the frequency and LLC and power saving modes (C1E, SpeedStep, C3 & C6 reports)It simply means you are adding or substracting a certain amount of voltage to a base line Vcore, as opposed to manual Vcore that gets it fixed at whatever is set manualy in the BIOSManual Vcore doesn't let C1E & SpeedStep lower your Vcore and frequency when the CPU is idle, even if they are enabled. With offset Vcore C1E & SpeedStep will adjust vcore & frequency depending on the CPU load.from the little overclocking "guide" I pmed you:8.- If you want to use the power saving modes, you'll need to switch from manual to offset Vcore modeHere's how to obtain the offset value to get the Vcore at which your OC was stable in the previous steps (in manual mode)this are the approximate values for each LLC level. I believe this table was made at 4.6GHz. Not sure thoughoffsetm.pngSo for example, if you want 1.35V and your LLC is set to Ultra High, set your offset to -0.010.Boot into windows and open CPU-Z. Stress test for a minute to see what full load Vcore you have and see if your Vcore is where you want it to. Lower? raise it in BIOS and try again. Higher? lower it in BIOS.Once you have your offset, you can enable C1E and EIST. Check if it throttles down to 1.6GHz and 0.9 - 1V while idle, and stress test again for 8+hours. Monitor temps and Vcore while you do

It's an increment or decrement to the base Vcore. The base Vcore depends on the frequency and LLC and power saving modes (C1E, SpeedStep, C3 & C6 reports)It simply means you are adding or substracting a certain amount of voltage to a base line Vcore, as opposed to manual Vcore that gets it fixed at whatever is set manualy in the BIOSManual Vcore doesn't let C1E & SpeedStep lower your Vcore and frequency when the CPU is idle, even if they are enabled. With offset Vcore C1E & SpeedStep will adjust vcore & frequency depending on the CPU load.from the little overclocking "guide" I pmed you:8.- If you want to use the power saving modes, you'll need to switch from manual to offset Vcore modeHere's how to obtain the offset value to get the Vcore at which your OC was stable in the previous steps (in manual mode)this are the approximate values for each LLC level. I believe this table was made at 4.6GHz. Not sure thoughoffsetm.pngSo for example, if you want 1.35V and your LLC is set to Ultra High, set your offset to -0.010.Boot into windows and open CPU-Z. Stress test for a minute to see what full load Vcore you have and see if your Vcore is where you want it to. Lower? raise it in BIOS and try again. Higher? lower it in BIOS.Once you have your offset, you can enable C1E and EIST. Check if it throttles down to 1.6GHz and 0.9 - 1V while idle, and stress test again for 8+hours. Monitor temps and Vcore while you do
I am using an offset of +0.04 with LLC on Ultra High. Clock speed is 4.8 and voltage hovers between 1.37-1.384. How should I adjust my voltage offset to push my voltage LOWER. I am confused on your wording.

I am using an offset of +0.04 with LLC on Ultra High. Clock speed is 4.8 and voltage hovers between 1.37-1.384. How should I adjust my voltage offset to push my voltage LOWER. I am confused on your wording.
Just lower your offset if you want less Vcore. Up it if you want more Vcore. You can set a negative offset if you want it even lowerIf you have 1.38V with +0.04, you should see 1.36V with +0.02, 1.35V with +0.01, 1.34 with 0.00, 1.33 with -0.01 and so onEnable C1E and EIST/SpeedStep and your CPU clock & Vcore should go to 1.6GHz/0.9V when idle Edited by dazz

Just lower your offset if you want less Vcore. Up it if you want more Vcore. You can set a negative offset if you want it even lowerIf you have 1.38V with +0.04, you should see 1.36V with +0.02, 1.35V with +0.01, 1.34 with 0.00, 1.33 with -0.01 and so onEnable C1E and EIST/SpeedStep and your CPU clock & Vcore should go to 1.6GHz/0.9V when idle
Thanks so much for the help Dario.You haven't got a clue what your contributions are to me and this community. :)

Alrighty, I bumped my offset to .035 and I am stress testing as we speak. Voltage is currently @ 1.376 and temps are from 55-65.Just so I have an idea to make sure I am doing this right, what offset do you use?

Mine is at -0.060 for 1.36V, but that's because I use Extreme LLC, so my offset needs to be much lower.

Edited by dazz

Mine is at -0.060 for 1.36V, but that's because I use Extreme LLC, so my offset needs to be much lower.
Can't stress this enough, THANK YOU! B)I actually feel like I understand this a little bit now... :Nerd:

Steffen, those temps are absolutely horrible. You're running +1.45v and reaching mid to high 80s. I'm wondering why you can't reach 4.5GHz with less than 1.37v, and I'm thinking you shouldn't push the overclock so hard.What case are you using? I've forgotten.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Zachary Waddell -- Caravan Driver --

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/zwaddell

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

Steffen, those temps are absolutely horrible. You're running +1.45v and reaching mid to high 80s. I'm wondering why you can't reach 4.5GHz with less than 1.37v, and I'm thinking you shouldn't push the overclock so hard.What case are you using? I've forgotten.
That's what I was thinking. I ran 1.31 manual voltage for so long on 4.4ghz, now running with offset mode and having a voltage of about 1.336 on 4.6ghz. Haven't tested its stability yet but it seems stable so far.

Are those temps in FSX?
Nope, they're from an 10 min OCCT test.@Zach: I've got an Cooler Master Sileo 500. Quiet bit its airflow isn't perfect.