Sign in to follow this  
Superpilotv2

Offset setting and its influence on Vcore and temparatures on an 4,5 GHz OC

Those temperatures seems quite high for your Vcore+Freq combo. But in all honesty, I might be spoiled by my watercooling.I'd either start looking at the CPU thermal compound or just let it be. I don't think there's much you can if you get such high voltages - just try 4.5, see what is the lowest Vcore it's gonna run. Also turn off PLL Overvolt if being under 4.8, since it shouldn't be needed. My settings are basically what I'm testing right now for the staibility under 5.0.My problem has always been my machine locking at boot - earlier that happened more often since I had only basic settings, now I'm still waiting for it to happen - the problem was both with sleep and shutdown.I know about the supposed problem with PLLO and sleep mode on P67 and Z67, but ASUS said they fixed it with latest BIOS updates.Right now, everything's peachy.

I have read in a few areas that offset is useful to possibly prolong processor life for those using their OC system to internet browse, you tube it etc and use as a 24/7 machine. I have heard for gamers that sometimes it does cause some instability with breif periods of too low vcore which could cause annoyance.For the gurus out there, my system is only used for FSX and I use my laptop for all other use, is there a point in setting offset if my computer is never really at idle; used just for FSX? Idle temps are 30 degrees with an oc of 4.9 at 1.37.Many thanks for your help,Simon

Simon

Steffen, do you still have that Mugen mounted vertical?What speed is the fan spinning at?Does it run cooler with the case open?

It's an increment or decrement to the base Vcore. The base Vcore depends on the frequency and LLC and power saving modes (C1E, SpeedStep, C3 & C6 reports)It simply means you are adding or substracting a certain amount of voltage to a base line Vcore, as opposed to manual Vcore that gets it fixed at whatever is set manualy in the BIOSManual Vcore doesn't let C1E & SpeedStep lower your Vcore and frequency when the CPU is idle, even if they are enabled. With offset Vcore C1E & SpeedStep will adjust vcore & frequency depending on the CPU load.from the little overclocking "guide" I pmed you:8.- If you want to use the power saving modes, you'll need to switch from manual to offset Vcore modeHere's how to obtain the offset value to get the Vcore at which your OC was stable in the previous steps (in manual mode)this are the approximate values for each LLC level. I believe this table was made at 4.6GHz. Not sure thoughoffsetm.pngSo for example, if you want 1.35V and your LLC is set to Ultra High, set your offset to -0.010.Boot into windows and open CPU-Z. Stress test for a minute to see what full load Vcore you have and see if your Vcore is where you want it to. Lower? raise it in BIOS and try again. Higher? lower it in BIOS.Once you have your offset, you can enable C1E and EIST. Check if it throttles down to 1.6GHz and 0.9 - 1V while idle, and stress test again for 8+hours. Monitor temps and Vcore while you do
Thanks guys; the above helped me use offset; which works fine on my system btw; volts are now lower on idle and perhaps a little lower during FSX play and pretty much the same voltage using prime as they were prior to setting up offset. Maybe this will extend the life of the cpu some. Max vcore in prime is now 1.36-1.37 at 4.8 and 1.37-1.385 on 4.9. Not too bad. Thanks again Edited by simon747

Simon

It's an increment or decrement to the base Vcore. The base Vcore depends on the frequency and LLC and power saving modes (C1E, SpeedStep, C3 & C6 reports)It simply means you are adding or substracting a certain amount of voltage to a base line Vcore, as opposed to manual Vcore that gets it fixed at whatever is set manualy in the BIOSManual Vcore doesn't let C1E & SpeedStep lower your Vcore and frequency when the CPU is idle, even if they are enabled. With offset Vcore C1E & SpeedStep will adjust vcore & frequency depending on the CPU load.from the little overclocking "guide" I pmed you:8.- If you want to use the power saving modes, you'll need to switch from manual to offset Vcore modeHere's how to obtain the offset value to get the Vcore at which your OC was stable in the previous steps (in manual mode)this are the approximate values for each LLC level. I believe this table was made at 4.6GHz. Not sure thoughoffsetm.pngSo for example, if you want 1.35V and your LLC is set to Ultra High, set your offset to -0.010.Boot into windows and open CPU-Z. Stress test for a minute to see what full load Vcore you have and see if your Vcore is where you want it to. Lower? raise it in BIOS and try again. Higher? lower it in BIOS.Once you have your offset, you can enable C1E and EIST. Check if it throttles down to 1.6GHz and 0.9 - 1V while idle, and stress test again for 8+hours. Monitor temps and Vcore while you do
Thanks a lot Dario for this chart.I just made a little test with the LLC and offset settings from this cart and so far it´s working perfect. The LLC is set to "Ultra high" and the offset for 4,5 GHz was +0,005. The little 10 min OCCT test was passed without any problem and the Vcore varied between 1,360 and 1,352 V and also the temps were only at 70°C with the max at 74°C but mostly it stayed on arround 69 - 71°C. Juts where i want them to be. I think I´ll test how far I can lower the offset to get the coolest CPU and a slow degradation.Btw. idle is now on 0,992 - 1,000V. :smile:

Thanks a lot Dario for this chart.I just made a little test with the LLC and offset settings from this cart and so far it´s working perfect. The LLC is set to "Ultra high" and the offset for 4,5 GHz was +0,005. The little 10 min OCCT test was passed without any problem and the Vcore varied between 1,360 and 1,352 V and also the temps were only at 70°C with the max at 74°C but mostly it stayed on arround 69 - 71°C. Juts where i want them to be. I think I´ll test how far I can lower the offset to get the coolest CPU and a slow degradation.Btw. idle is now on 0,992 - 1,000V. :smile:
Very, very good Steffen! That's much better. Considering the small space you have in that chassis, I'd say you're doing great!

___________________________________________________________________________________

Zachary Waddell -- Caravan Driver --

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/zwaddell

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

Very, very good Steffen! That's much better. Considering the small space you have in that chassis, I'd say you're doing great!
Yeah, I think so too! :smile: I´ll do an prime95 test now to test its stability over a longer periode.

That looks really good now! The question is what is your lowest Vcore for the given multi - you should be using that one. Then I usually bump one notch up, just to be sure.Running 4500?

Running 4500?
Yes, 4,5 GHz for arround one hour on normal usage (web, a bit of ADEX) and for far everything works.

That looks really good now! The question is what is your lowest Vcore for the given multi - you should be using that one. Then I usually bump one notch up, just to be sure.
I just did an 45 min prime95 test to check everything is all right on a long term too. The temps once hit 8 0 °C on one core but they were mostly arround 69 - 77°C. I think it´s pretty usable for FSX if you take into consideration that the stress prime95 generates will never be in FSX and thus the temps should be a bit lower, in the lower 70ies I suppose.The lowest Vcore was 1,352V but that´s just from a 0.005 to an -0.005 offset. I don´t think it´s very important and will have a big infuence on the temps.

Just to tell you something: 45min on P95 doesn't mean it's stable OC. I tested once 3 hours, then played for couple of days, FSX and Starcraft 2, and then, out of the blue sky, in SC2, a blue screen, message that not enough Vcore.

Just to tell you something: 45min on P95 doesn't mean it's stable OC. I tested once 3 hours, then played for couple of days, FSX and Starcraft 2, and then, out of the blue sky, in SC2, a blue screen, message that not enough Vcore.
I know but any longer wasn't applicable. I don't want to let it run the whole night. I'll test the oc this afternoon with an quick NGX flight and see how much better it behaves now. And I'll record the temps. I'm curious how much lower than in prime95 they are.

On my last computer, I stress tested for an hour, and saw no BSOD's for an entire year and a half. That was running my i7 920 @ 4GHZ

Prime95 can be overkill, but advise to use as Word Not Allowed mentions; I always test in occt and then prime for an hour...not the best I know, but at least I conserve energy! Stability was only a problem back on my old 920.

Edited by simon747

Simon