Sign in to follow this  
IAF747

Which PC can run PMDG 737 NGX on FSX with FSDreamteam scenery and traffic at high FPS?

the 780 included the optical drive and hard drive from my old computer. They were going to add an i5 2500 (no OC) and a 1.2Gb asus 560 also 16mb ram and a new PSU.Saw no sense trading in my old desk top as my wife uses it with all my software etc on it. if I am spending that amount I would like a new desk top solely for FSX.Thanks Evan

Having spent all day on this I have decided to go for the spec below. I have beed advised toupgrade the PSU. In your opinion is this a well rounded system i.e the CPU and graphics card?Thanks for your help. Evan Processor: Intel Core i7 2600K Processor overclocked to 4.5GHzCooler: Corsair A70 CPU CoolerMotherboard: Asus P8Z68 Pro MotherboardVideo Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580 1.5GB Video CardCase: Xigmatek Elysium CaseMemory: 8GB PC3-12800 MemoryOptical: Samsung Blu Ray / DVD Combi DrivePrimary Drive: 120GB Corsair Force 3 6Gb/s SATA III SSDSecondary Drive 1000GB SATA 7200rpm Hard Disk (FSX)PSU: 750 watt Corsair PSUSound: Onboard High Definition AudioOS: Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit OEM

Great system, you're gonna be enjoying your FSX.Oh btw. I would swap those disks - SSD for FSX and 7200rpm for windows - seriously, who needs windows fast when you are buying a system for FSX...

Having spent all day on this I have decided to go for the spec below. I have beed advised toupgrade the PSU. In your opinion is this a well rounded system i.e the CPU and graphics card?Thanks for your help. EvanProcessor: Intel Core i7 2600K Processor overclocked to 4.5GHzCooler: Corsair A70 CPU CoolerMotherboard: Asus P8Z68 Pro MotherboardVideo Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580 1.5GB Video CardCase: Xigmatek Elysium CaseMemory: 8GB PC3-12800 MemoryOptical: Samsung Blu Ray / DVD Combi DrivePrimary Drive: 120GB Corsair Force 3 6Gb/s SATA III SSDSecondary Drive 1000GB SATA 7200rpm Hard Disk (FSX)PSU: 750 watt Corsair PSUSound: Onboard High Definition AudioOS: Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit OEM
The PSU you have at 750watts seems fine to me!!!The question is do you need to install a few fans for the cooling when you overclock? Or do you have a good air conditioner and a small room you can chill in at about 15C (60F approx)?I have never overclocked, but would like to know the requirements if you overclock to 4.0 Ghz.Also I have a 2400 i5, can that still be overclocked? Even though it is not the overclockers model? (The store I go to didn't have the overclockers model in stock when I bought it).Daniel

Thank you both for your replies once again. Will swap those disks! do you agree I need a better PSU?Will let you know how I get on. Cheers Evan.

Also I have a 2400 i5, can that still be overclocked? Even though it is not the overclockers model? (The store I go to didn't have the overclockers model in stock when I bought it).
It's very risky to overclock a non-K model. You have to up the base clock, which can't really be upped very high without endangering your whole mobo and CPU.Gains are probably negligible.IMHO, you are stuck at what you got.
do you agree I need a better PSU?
What? NO. 750w is plenty for what you are getting! See my sig, I know what my rig is pulling... and that ain't 750w. Edited by Kosta

It's very risky to overclock a non-K model. You have to up the base clock, which can't really be upped very high without endangering your whole mobo and CPU.Gains are probably negligible.IMHO, you are stuck at what you got.What? NO. 750w is plenty for what you are getting! See my sig, I know what my rig is pulling... and that ain't 750w.
Thanks Word Not Allowed!! I am happy with what I have got anyway! Daniel

Finally got my new system, i7 2600K OC with 580 graphics card. Running NGX and concorde X with Rex 2.0, also got ultimate terrain X and Ground environment X. Getting roughly 25-30Fps, falls to 11-19 fps when using aerosoft airports (to be expected?). Guess theres lots of tweaking I have still to do but overall happy with performance.Sometimes FSX crashes (not too often) but enough to have me wondering what updates I might still need. Sometimes get HRESULT 0x000014b??Is there any tweaks you guys would recommend. I have win 7 64 bit, SP1 and SP2.Thanks once again for your help/advice

Finally got my new system, i7 2600K OC with 580 graphics card. Running NGX and concorde X with Rex 2.0, also got ultimate terrain X and Ground environment X.Getting roughly 25-30Fps, falls to 11-19 fps when using aerosoft airports (to be expected?). Guess theres lots of tweaking I have still to do but overall happy with performance.Sometimes FSX crashes (not too often) but enough to have me wondering what updates I might still need. Sometimes get HRESULT 0x000014b??Is there any tweaks you guys would recommend. I have win 7 64 bit, SP1 and SP2.Thanks once again for your help/advice
Use THIS. Also, make sure you overclock the total crap out of that CPU and you will be happy. :smile:

While Bojote might work for the most, I disagree running Bojote's tool with today's very strong hardware.I suggest you try following:BP=0HIGHMEMFIXAffinitymask 14 (disable HT in BIOS)4096 TMLdon't overdo clouds, up to 2048LOD_RAD 6.5and yes, overclock that CPU.GPU settings in NI, according to TABS in PMDG forums.Good luck!

Thankyou will adapt these as soon as I can work out how. Do I go into FSX cfg folder?

Hehe, I guess I caught you a bit...First of all, tweaking without really knowing what tweaks do, is not really a smart thing to do.Second, just search here around for each one, it's easy to find.But, basically:You delete/rename fsx.cfg and start FSX, forcing it to create a fresh one.[bUFFERPOOLS]Usepools=0[GRAPHICS]HIGHMEMFIX=1TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=4096[JOBSCHEDULER]AffinityMask=14(you must turn off hyperthreading in BIOS to use 14, otherwise this number is wrong)[TERRAIN]LOD_RADIUS=6.500000See how it works with these tweaks only. If you renamed your fsx.cfg, you can always come back to it.http://forum.avsim.n...f-all-settings/And install 2048 clouds from REX if you have it.

Word Not Allowed, when you overclock a CPU, is it just setting the voltages in the CMOS? And do you need cooling, say, for going from 3.30ghz to 4.5ghz?Daniel

I am not going to build a super computer (I am more curious but may put $$$ to upgrading if there is a CPU option or something) but I was wondering what kind of FPS people get with their super rigs on here? Like in New York, with FS Dreamteam scenery, running the PMDG 737 NGX and traffic? Not asking for sliders to be maxed out but a good level.Any takers on this?Daniel
After getting the NGX I was surprised at how well it ran. Especially in dense scenery at FSDreamteam airports.Daniel
Having spent all day on this I have decided to go for the spec below. I have beed advised toupgrade the PSU. In your opinion is this a well rounded system i.e the CPU and graphics card?Thanks for your help. EvanProcessor: Intel Core i7 2600K Processor overclocked to 4.5GHzCooler: Corsair A70 CPU CoolerMotherboard: Asus P8Z68 Pro MotherboardVideo Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580 1.5GB Video CardCase: Xigmatek Elysium CaseMemory: 8GB PC3-12800 MemoryOptical: Samsung Blu Ray / DVD Combi DrivePrimary Drive: 120GB Corsair Force 3 6Gb/s SATA III SSDSecondary Drive 1000GB SATA 7200rpm Hard Disk (FSX)PSU: 750 watt Corsair PSUSound: Onboard High Definition AudioOS: Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit OEM
That will blast!!!! You could run 2 PMDG NGXs on that at the same time!!!Daniel

Word Not Allowed, when you overclock a CPU, is it just setting the voltages in the CMOS? And do you need cooling, say, for going from 3.30ghz to 4.5ghz?
Um, no, setting voltages only will get your CPU only hotter lol... you also need to up that clock (multi), if that is what you mean. But apart from those two - for some basic clocks of 4.2-4.5Ghz, nothing else is needed usually.If you wish to get into real performance waters, 4.8-5.0, then you do need some real good cooling solution + some fiddling around (but also first understand what everything does).2nd Q: Yes, you always need cooling. Man you have some funny questions. But I guess you mean better cooling: I would recommend it. Definitely don't OC with stock cooler. But a strong aircooler is going to be OK. It will all depend on how good your CPU is. If temps stay below 85c on 24hr Prime95 then your OC is stable and good.