Sign in to follow this  
IFR7700

Incredible Ground Speed on Tribute Trip

Today I completed a tribute trip with the NGX from Saigon to San Antonio via Tokyo, Honolulu, and San Francisco. This is the exact trip my father took on this date in 1967 while returning from Vietnam, as a member of the US Air Force. I still have the flight documents.While flying to Tokyo, I encountered a tail wind that I've never seen before. I'm using Active Sky 2012. This is a screenie:OnRouteMaxGS.jpgSince the tailwind wasn't exact, I took a little off route jaunt to see what the maximum Ground Speed I could get. This is that screenie:OffRouteMaxGS.jpgMy questions are: Is this even realistic? Have you ever seen this? Can you beat it? I'm sure you can program your weather engine to produce these winds, but this was real world weather downloaded live by AS2012. I did have a nice tailwind the entire flight, but these winds only lasted ten minutes or so. I landed with a lot of extra fuel.

Dennis Trawick

Screen Shot Forum Rules

AVSIMSignature_zpsed110b13.jpg

172 is high, but not unheard of. I think I have a pic somewhere of 202knot headwinds on ORD-ANC. 9.5 hours with a tech stop in MSP. Yuck.

Matt Cee

Looks like you picked up the jetstream, normally going west to east you get a good tailwind, that one is definatly a fuel saver :-)

Jay

From the ND, I'm assuming you were off the Southeast coast of Japan? Yes, I'm not surprised at all...have experienced some of the most ferocious winds and general turbulence in that corridor heading north to Japan... more than anywhere else in the world in over 1/2m. miles of real world travel.That's a great tribute to re-create. I hope my son will do the same someday for some of my 'jaunts.'Hope you enjoyed the ride ;))

Edited by GlobalGentleman

Alan

Dennis: Yes it is. Also a reason why NATs for one direction are way up north while for the other they are way down south.

Its easy in the Concorde... try doing that speed in a 737.. blum.gif

The Concorde is a Museum piece along with the Space shuttle, let them rest in peace where they belong.

The Concorde is a Museum piece along with the Space shuttle, let them rest in peace where they belong.
And thats why we can fly them in the SIMULATOR.... that's why it is called that way... but everybody as he likes it....

Regards,
Chris Volle

i7700k @ 4,7, 32gb ram, Win10, MSI GTX1070.