Sign in to follow this  
NGXfanatic

Crosswind Landings article on CNN.com

Hi everyone, I had stumbled upon a good article on crosswind landings on CNN.com I wanted to share with you.Be sure to see the youtube video referenced in the article, it must be one of the best airport landing videos I've ever seen, and reminds me of my replay sessions in FSX where I scrutinize my flares!http://www.cnn.com/2012/01/11/travel/plane-landing-crosswinds/index.html?iref=allsearch

I'd tip my hat to the pilot of that Condor 753. He got absolutely threw about and still kept on going! 757s are a real burden when they're lightweight.Great post!

I'd tip my hat to the pilot of that Condor 753. He got absolutely threw about and still kept on going! 757s are a real burden when they're lightweight.Great post!
When you get thrown you don't keep going. You are supposed to go around and try again. You can see he was either very light or flying fast because he touches down flat a great way to start a porpoise that can end up worse.

When you get thrown you don't keep going. You are supposed to go around and try again. You can see he was either very light or flying fast because he touches down flat a great way to start a porpoise that can end up worse.
Indeed, safety always first. But considering that he'd already gone around at least once, he'd be terribly low on fuel, plus he wont want much more of a delay. You're right in everything you say but I believe in this instance that "sticking it down" was the right way to go, he had a pretty good angle after the steep drop. :(

The link to the article now takes you to a "404 page not found" page on CNN.com. Can someone post a corrected link, or at least point me to the YouTube page where I can watch the video?Thanks!

The link to the article now takes you to a "404 page not found" page on CNN.com. Can someone post a corrected link, or at least point me to the YouTube page where I can watch the video?Thanks!
The original link seems to be working now, but here's the Youtube link...

Can someone please post an explanation on how to do a crosswind approach landing (with the NGX or a large plane)?Thank you :(

Soarbywire - Avionics Engineering

I cannot tell you how to fly crosswinds landings in something like the NGX (no RW experience).First thing I would do is consult the FCOM.Second... I can tell you some things about crosswinds landings in General Aviation aircraft which should be relevant to the "heavy iron".When landing, you do not want any drift... big stressor on the landing gear. You want the aircraft tracking straight down the centerline. Also when touching down, you want the longitudinal axis of the plane parallel to the centerline.To take care of drift, a commonly employed technique is to "crab" into the wind. You can see those jets actually doing this. You just fly a heading which allows you to track the centerline of the runway... and you want to do this a couple miles out, not on short final. Get the plane solidly tracking the extended centerline. Of course, now your longitudinal axis is no longer parallel to the centerline.To correct for this, once in the flare slightly before touchdown, use rudder to align the nose with the runway. You might have to be somewhat aggressive here depending on the crosswind. Then you will need opposite aileron to prevent any kind of turn from starting.This all happens very quickly btw (the removing of the crab etc...) and requires a bit of practice to be proficient.Watch the first "guy" (Emirates) to come in... he starts the crab... is still drifting... crabs some more... starts to pitch up a bit for the landing attitude and kicks in left rudder to align the nose with the centerline... I cannot tell if he uses any aileron...You can see the guy in the Condor land still in the crab and the resulting jerking of the nose to the left... not the best thing to do.Very important to continue flying the plane (and keep thinking) rather than setting it down hoping for the best.Anyone want to add or modify this?

Fantastic video !!! :( Yeah - it seems all the larger planes prefer to "crab" in - while many smaller planes do the "slip"... Crosswind landings in Flight Sim sure seem way easier than those in real life...Check out this pub - Crosswind Landings - start on page 8-13...http://www.faa.gov/l...083-3a-4of7.pdfRegards,Scott

Edited by scottb613

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

Very cool! Thanks for posting the youtube link!