Sign in to follow this  
Rocky_53

Different SIDS and STARS

Since you are using FS Commander, why don't you use it to figure out the SIDs and STARs...? It seems you only start looking at SIDs and STARs when you are entering data in the FMC...?I just entered your route in FS Commander. RouteFinder showed me this:EGCC SID NOKIN N862 RETSI STAR EGGDAfter copying that into FSC, I went to the SIDS/STAR/TRANS menu, chose STAR display and I was shown 5 STARs for EGGD: BRI1A to BRI1E. By simply clicking on them you will see that BRI1A perfectly fits the plan! The STAR even starts at RETSI, while it's not called like that.Since I can't be bothered with looking up charts and all, this is how I always do it. Very easy and simple.

Edited by J van E

Hi HowardAt Bristol all the STAR's end at BRI(NDB 414) and then you fly outbound on a tear drop pattern to pick up the ILS for either 9 or 27. The SID's for Bristol are all named after the last fix on the SID ie BCN 1X is the SID from rwy 27 to the Brecon VOR and BCN 1Z is the SID for rwy 9 to Brecon. If you keep Flight sim commander updated at the same time as your FMS (at no extra cost with Navigraph) and check with the charts it's easy to get the route set up with the relevant SID's and STAR's. If you know your departure runway you can include the SID in your Flight sim commander flight plan. That way FS ATC will not start giving you headings away from the SID. Say I was departing Bristol on Rwy 27 on the BCN 1X SID, I would go to the departures/arrivals page in the FMS and select rwy 27 and then the BCN 1X SID, on returning to the route page you will see at the top of page 2 on the left side BCN 1X and then to the right of that BCN. You can then add the rest of the route. If you were flying back to Bristol say from Manchester you would choose the BRI 1A STAR and that starts at RETSI. When you get nearer to Bristol FSX ATC will tell you which runway to land on and give you vector's; if you wish you can tell them to stand by and select option 3 and that lets you ask for the BRI transition and then you will be cleared to BRI and as you get closer still it will clear you to the ILS and you then just follow the charts.Am over the Bristol Channel from you and both Cardiff and Bristol have simple SID's and STAR's and are great places to get used to using them.Am about to install VOX ATC as that will give you the exact SID and STAR (as long as you programme it correctly) and for my first few flights I will use Cardiff and Bristol.

Thanks a bunch fellas. I'm literally in the process of downloading all my relevant charts and airac from Navigraph... wow, what a fantastic resource. It will make things a lot easier! Now, if only they could release it on Ipad!!

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

Hello Rockliffe,I think that I am at approx. the same stage with PMDG737NGX as you are. I have read the above with great interest and have now looked into the Navigraph page. Now I wonder if it is worth while to get both a flight planner (e.g. FlightSim Commander) AND the data from Navigraph. I tend to think that it might be more fun to plan from the charts then code the FMC. (NOTE: The Navigraph data might not be expensive as such, but I am quite sure that after a while I will have spend a small fortune on that account ;-) )RegardsCarl Michael

You don't have to buy the charts, they are free from eurocontrol. You need to register but it is easy to use and has lots of stuff: http://www.ead.euroc...ic/pu/login.jsp
Thanks for the info Dan, but I'm afraid after subscribing, logging on and spending 20 minutes searching the site I'm afraid I haven't got a clue what the site is all about. With Navigraph, I found my way aroung and loaded all my charts in about ten minutes!

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke

Thanks for the info Dan, but I'm afraid after subscribing, logging on and spending 20 minutes searching the site I'm afraid I haven't got a clue what the site is all about. With Navigraph, I found my way aroung and loaded all my charts in about ten minutes!
Yeah, I too had the same after registering, etc. Cannot even load the app. Seems it only favours IE8 and as I run Firefox, seems I'm out. Anyone any clue why this should be so?

Hi again HowardFor UK charts there is no need to set up an account. You can download them for free from the NATS site.

Eurocontrol site is really straight forwardEnter Applications->PAMS Light [AIP]Select countryAIP Type ChartsPart AD (for aerodrome), Part ENR (for enroute)click Search

Edited by Sekstifire

I don't really like using STARS. Many (most) put you on the glide path a lot later than I like. Usually, what I do is plan the route in FS Commander (RIP Sascha), then manually enter the waypoints in the STAR until I get to a point at least 15 miles from EOD where I intercept the GS. Of course, ATC usually messes that up anyhow.

Dennis Trawick

Screen Shot Forum Rules

AVSIMSignature_zpsed110b13.jpg

Eurocontrol site is really straight forwardEnter Applications->PAMS Light [AIP]Select countryAIP Type ChartsPart AD (for aerodrome), Part ENR (for enroute)click Search
Yes, I click on 'Enter Applications', then the next screen I get is 'Important Legal Notice' ,followed by a blank page. Nothing after that.

Hi again HowardFor UK charts there is no need to set up an account. You can download them for free from the NATS site.
Hi Nixon, cheers for the info. Sure, I do in fact have most of my routes covered with charts, from eg, the NATS site. However, the main reason for Navigraph was to get the Airac up to date. It may all go by the wayside the next time I have to cough up. I hate it when guys on the forum are talking about somehting I know nothing about, so it's also been about trying something and getting and idea about things.

Howard

Once you figure it out it becomes easy. Make sure you have the recommended or later Java installed (free from Java).As said earlier, PAMS LIGHT to load data inquiry form, seleck UK (EG), Civil Authority, AIP Type: Charts and press Search. All UK charts are listed. EGGD is on pg 5 where you find aerodrome, approach, departure, STARs and other neat stuff. Much more than from Navigraph and it is free and the real thing.

Dan Downs KCRP

Works for me, I'm on FX 9.0.1
Just updated to Firefox 9.0.1 and made another attempt to open the Applications. Result, same blank screen as per previous Firefox version.