Sign in to follow this  
spen2

How long in a Stearman?

Assuming I could fill the tank up every 300 NM or so, how long would it take to reach the west coast of the US? Taking off from say....Hilo International Airport as an example.

I'm going to guess about 20 hours :(

plus same time back to Hawaii because you cannot land on the west coast :-)

Phil Leaven

i5 10600KF, 32 GB 3200 RAM, MSI 3060 12GB OC, Asus ROG Z490-H, 2 WD Black NVME for each Win11 (500GB) and MSFS (1TB), MSFS Cache and Photogrammetry always disabled, Live Weather and Live Traffic always on, Res 2560x1440 on 27"

plus same time back to Hawaii because you cannot land on the west coast :-)
Well technically, by the time he reached a westerly sided coast of anywhere, he'll be able to land back at hawaii

Jack Cannon

Assuming I could fill the tank up every 300 NM or so, how long would it take to reach the west coast of the US? Taking off from say....Hilo International Airport as an example.
Head or tail wind? Edited by alainneedle1

Front wind or tail wind?Head or tail wind?
I was waiting for someone to ask that. Lets say a 10 knot tailwind, as a little help :)

ok, got bored of waiting for an answer. Fsau wasn't far off. I reckon about 23 hours and 40 minutes with a cruising speed of eighty kts. A distance of approximately 2129 nautical miles to KLAX. Not forgetting the 10 knot tail wind of course!Might give it a try. I'll let you know what I find, unless I forget to top up the fuel and end up ditching somewhere in the pacific...Edit: why can't i write 'eighty' in numbers without it showing a smiley?

Edited by spen2

How many kts? :(

Edited by pstrub

My simming system: AMD Ryzen 5800X3D, 32GB RAM, RTX 4070 Ti Super 16GB, LG 38" 3840x1600

I know how to calculate myself - but his 8 0 (eighty) written in numbers resulted in a smiley mega_shok.gif, which was kind of funny. Ok, back to topic...Edit: BTW, nice flying calculator!

Edited by pstrub

My simming system: AMD Ryzen 5800X3D, 32GB RAM, RTX 4070 Ti Super 16GB, LG 38" 3840x1600

Use this calculator.Cheers,- jahman.
Very useful tool. Thanks!I was quite close then :) PHTO (19°43'13"N 155°02'54"W) KLAX (33°56'33"N 118°24'29"W) 58° (NE) 2128 nm 23:39

It would take about an hour and then you would hit the edge of the 'world'. Ever seen 'The Truman Show'? :(

It would take about an hour and then you would hit the edge of the 'world'. Ever seen 'The Truman Show'? :(
I was thinking that since flight simulation seems to be regressing, maybe in Flight the Earth is still flat and you might fall off the edge...

With no air refuling available, just how would you "fill 'er up?"

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest jahman
With no air refuling available, just how would you "fill 'er up?"
An add for a consumer product like Coca-Cola would appear and you would have to click "Like", but this would only work if your MS Live account was linked to your Facebook account. Otherwise you're SOF (just like SOL, but for Fuel).Cheers,- jahman.

Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.