Sign in to follow this  
quadraspleen

Unruly behaviour in wind

Hi there all,Running a flight last night from YMAV-YPDN at FL240. I was very heavy with fuel and cargo (34K fuel and pretty much full up with cargo) so I kept the flight a low as I thought I could get away with.At around 1-2 hours in, I was encountering 70KT headwind with about a 6-8KT crosswind component.and NGX started doing all sorts of shenanigans. It would pitch up and down at least 50 feet at a time, and It was rolling around like a fish at one point. It started to overturn on waypoints (sometimes going way past the turn and just keep going) in LNAV so I ended up having to disconnect the FMC and reset the planes attitude in the air; get it turned back toward its proper route, and then re-engage the A/P.At one point it was also banking so hard under A/P that it was giving me bank angle warnings from Air Hauler (greater than 30 deg bank) How can it over-bank if the bank angle limitations are in force through the FMC?Is this normal behaviour?I've taken some Fraps vids so I'll compress and post them later on.Thanks in advance for any help

Edited by quadraspleen

JAKE EYRE
It's a small step from the sublime to the ridiculous...Napoleon Bonaparte
newSigBetaTeam.gif
lancairuk.jpg

Is that all it is? I want turbulence! I use REX2 and FSUIPC to smooth it a bit..

JAKE EYRE
newSigBetaTeam.gif
lancairuk.jpg

What weather engines inject into the sim as turbulence is not actually turbulence tho. Its a totally different effect, an effect not being present in real life

What weather engines inject into the sim as turbulence is not actually turbulence tho. Its a totally different effect, an effect not being present in real life
Yeah, I hear you. Pete Dowson has written some good stuff about weather. I thought REX was better at it, but i suppose it works within the limitations of the sims ability to model it?But disabling turbulence 'effects' as the REX UI has it (enable realistic storm shear updrafts etc) will stop this behaviour? I'm not sure I want to stop it if it's real behaviour though..

JAKE EYRE
newSigBetaTeam.gif
lancairuk.jpg

Believe me, FSX turbulence will not give you the desired experience of flying in turbulence. It's better to do without it. Also, FSX will often throw wild wind variations at you without tubulence. It's just a consequence of the simple method they use to derive conditions at a point based on nearby stations. Here, I use the weather smoothing features of the full registered version of FSUIPC.

Dan Downs KCRP