Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

A 'Flight' state-of-mind reset....

We being who?
"We" being those of us with the sense to recognize Flight for the steaming pile it really is.

"We" being those of us with the sense to recognize Flight for the steaming pile it really is.
Does it really matter what Flight is?

I'm giving XPlane 10 a chance. Yes it has it's faults, but at least Laminar Research are taking the simulation side seriously. I'm sure the issues will be ironed out in time.

Tom Wright

Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) | Intel Core i7 4770k @ 4.3GHz | 16GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM | GTX 1060 6GB | Samsung 860 EVO 500GB | Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Sidestick + Quadrant | Xbox Series S

I shall certainly download and try Flight - it's free! I'll also keep an eye on the DLC it offers.If I don't like what I see, I'll continue using FSX. I have that set up the way I want and don't need many new add-ons - I have most of what I need already.I'm also at a loss to understand the wailing and gnashing of teeth from those who aren't getting what they wished for. In reality, few of us ever do.

Some of the sentiments expressed are pretty much my own as well.In Fs9 and FSX plus top 3rd party addons I already have enough 'reality' for the rest of my life if required, no matter how good other games look. It's just a question of hardware longevity.But - we'll see how Flight and others evolve.

Regards,

Mark

Good posts.And as far as Windows compatibility goes, it's really not an issue. I only went from XP to Windows 7 late last year. Avoided Vista altogether, and guess what? Nothing happened. Everything still works fine in XP on the other machine too. XP was released in 2001. It's still perfectly fine 11 years later and runs eveything you want to run. 11 years!I'm pretty sure X-Plane will be ready by 2023 :)

With dual boot you can boot up good old mean and lean XP, and still enjoy the current sims. So its a non issue I guess.

I'm in an FSX state of mind reset again. The unlocked Ivy Bridge Core i7-3770K is scheduled now for April 8th release at $352. It is uncertain as to where it will finally overclock out at, but under any scenario it looks good. I've decided on that direction. And I think I will just buy the latest versions of the main scenery and traffic add-ons. I can alway have Flight on there too when I want to go and play a kiddy game, which is never !Bob

With dual boot you can boot up good old mean and lean XP, and still enjoy the current sims. So its a non issue I guess.
FSX runs fine in Win7.

I'm pretty sure X-Plane will be ready by 2023 :)
The day after tomorrow I turn sixty-three. By 2023 I'll not likely still be in a position to use any sim at all, so I suppose what is ready by then or not really won't matter at all... :(

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

The day after tomorrow I turn sixty-three. By 2023 I'll not likely still be in a position to use any sim at all, so I suppose what is ready by then or not really won't matter at all... :(
Happy Birthday in advance! May you have many years left to enjoy whatever the Flight Simulation world brings to us all :(.Thanks also for your own contribution to the Flight Simulation world.

Dillon, I still have one laptop running Win98. I have three really old 486 machines in my basement running DOS 3.1 for crying out loud! As long as the hardware holds up, those running WinXP, Vista (both flavors) and Win7 (both flavors) will be able to run their beloved FS98, FS2000, FS2002, FS2004 and/or FSX... :(
Not to mention if and when the day comes when you are running systems that are no longer 32-bit Windows compatible; someone is bound to come up with an emulator. So, for example, I could also run Sublogic Flight Simulator for the Commdore 64 on my Windows machine. :(-James

63? Oh c'mon don't pretend you're old. Only people who expect old age get it :)

HAPPY BIRTHDAY Bill !!You have BETTER be around in 2023, and still be able to help me with my XML issues, as even by 2023, I will still not have mastered it, anywhere nearly as well as you have !!Like many other, I'm "content" with Fs9 & FSX. No new massive learning curve, it's bought & paid for, and will not dissapear out of the CLOUD.When, and IF, I see "MS Flight SIMULATOR X64" released, I will take notice again, although if I was a betting man, I would put my money on seeing "GOOGLE Flight SIMULATOR X64" .The DX9, 32 bit code of MS FS was already pittyfully "past it's prime" when they released FSX -- any significant advances in FS with need a complete redesign, to take advantages of current and future computer technolgy.Remember: "You can't make a "silk purse", out of a sow's ear" -- but I guess if you have a surplus of Sow's ears about, you can give them away and call them just "a purse". :(

Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.