Sign in to follow this  
alfletcher

C172 Panel – full size panel

Hi,Just wondering if someone would be willing to be partner in the development of a 3D cockpit using this configuration? This picture is an actual (half size) X-Plane 9 screen capture of a 2D panel I did in Photoshop (from 3D render model made in cinema 4D). I have all textures in HR. My panel fits 2048 x 1200 pixels screen. I proposed this project to Austin but he said he was satisfied with the model within X-Plane. As a private pilot and freelance illustrator, I still think there is a market for this kind of product.Very attractive and fun to fly but could be better in 3D. I don't have the knowledge to port it in planemaker.ThanksAlain(apologize for my english, since I am french born)

• Upvote 1

For those waiting for a wide panel (2048 pix wide), with bigger and cleaner gauges, you will be happy.

I finally decided to create my panel in 2D first, using Plane-maker and generic instruments exclusively. A project inspired by the once amazing Fly cockpit... expected to be done by June .

It fit perfectly on my CD30" display at 2560x1600. I put a lot of energy in this project to match almost all the specs of the C172SP including the following features:

• Fully adjustable Flight instruments (with closeup window for better precision)

• All Switches and Breakers fully functional

• Fine tuned Electric System (ex. Flaps activation impossible without prior Battery Switch activation)

• Radio stack improved (all devices could be turn Off independently, Nav/Com receiver with Freq memory and Timer function)

• Engine instruments (added a Ref needle to the EGT gauge)

• Fully functional Parking Brake lever

• Fully moving Yokes (pitch/roll/yaw)

• Fully moving Rudder pedals

• Realistic Key system (Removable from ignition)

• Magnetic Compass (ball reacting to acceleration/deceleration)

• Visible 2D Propeller (position matching the 3D one viewed from outside and reacting to rpm adjustments)

• Mixture (Adjustments Coarse/Push, Fine/Rotate)

• Dynamic panel shadow (in relation to sun position, the best I could)

• Many extra features (E6B flight computer, Integrated Checklist, CO2 detector card, First aid kit)

• Special Windshield Effects (Glare, Icing, bird impact...)

I will also try to improve sounds. Thats it for now.

Happy flying

Hello

I wanted to create also a 2D panel in high-resolution for my Piper-Cockpit. But after a lot of hours working with generic instruments I found a major limitation.

I do not know the current status of X-Plane 10 Planemaker. But in Planemaker 9 you can not create generic instruments which require two independant inputs on the same needle or indicator. This limitation affects the artificial horizon (the horizont plate needs pitch and roll) and the heading-bug on a gyro-compass (combination of heading bug (HDG) and actual course). Any other instrument can be done to my knowledge.

So let us know if you were able to create an aritficial horizon with generic instruments.

There is a rumor that this missing functionality will be implemented in one of the later X-Plane 10 versions. Maybe 10.4. Currently we are at 10.04.

I effectively found a trick to link two dataref to one instrument and succesfully create a working gyro compass with a slave heading bug. I also used the same technique for the artificial horizon but in that case the result was not as fluid as the non generic one. I will post a video as soon as possible showing the result of my experiments. The only thing i can say right now is that a lot of work is needed in the process. For exemple, my gyro instrument need more than 364 images to work...

So I really hope some improvement in future realease of plane maker despite my succesful attempt.

I'll keep you posted.

Alan

The only thing i can say right now is that a lot of work is needed in the process. For exemple, my gyro instrument need more than 364 images to work...

Hello

Thank you for that idea, I can roughly imagine what you did. This is a temporary workaround but unfortunately not practical.

For the heading bug / gyro compass, another workaround is to write a plugin. That's what another user did. Not me, since this is also too complex.

Let's see what Laminar Research will do. At least they claimed that the future will be generic instruments.

Have a nice day - Valentin

Well, I’m almost done.

I just want to be sure before releasing my project that everything is working fine. But before the launch, I’ll post a quick movie preview.

So stay tuned...

Alan

Hi Alan,

I couldn't see the image in your first post (perhaps it's been taken down?). Is it this Cessna 172 panel from your website?

http://www.talisman-illustration-design.com/turbulence/pages/modules3_gen/3_01_02_instrumentsVol1.html

That looks fantastic!!! Austin declined it? Seriously? Sometimes I just don't understand why things like this just get brushed aside, when they would surely add some polish and professionalism to the default assets in X-plane that would really benefit the simulator.

Keep up the great work, you are a very talented illustrator.

Rhydian

Yep, this is the same picture. For those curious, here is a new screen capture of my actual project taken from X-Plane X (reduced at 66%).

On top, on the ground and the bottom one in final approach at CYUL 24R (Montreal). I’m too busy at work to post anything else.

Apologize for the delay.

Alan

http://www.talisman-...WidePanel-1.jpg

http://www.talisman-...WidePanel-2.jpg

Yep, this is the same picture. For those curious, here is a new screen capture of my actual project taken from X-Plane X (reduced at 66%).

On top, on the ground and the bottom one in final approach at CYUL 24R (Montreal). I’m too busy at work to post anything else.

Apologize for the delay.

Alan

:O FANTASTIQUE Alan! Incredible C172 panel illustration.

Rhydian

P.S Please....somebody...anybody.... please make a 3d cockpit VC with Alan, it would look epic!!!

I’m about to release my project.

But before, I need someone willing to test it.

So, send me a private message including your name and system spec (hardware, monitor res. and graphic card).

I’m looking for Windows and Unix users with very specific setup, since I created and test it myself under OSX.

Thanks

Alan

Hi again.

The road to the end is longer than expected... as I found a major problem in the XP10 electric system architecture so I have to work harder to bypass this. I really want my panel to be accurate, so expect some delay.

Sorry to everyone.

;-)

Thats a shame about the delays in your project as its one of the finest panels i've seen and incredibly accurate... however I have to take my hat off for not wanting to release something which isn't 100%.

I will look forward to ay updates.