Sign in to follow this  
llenrow

terrain.dll crashes

Hi all,I have had CTDs occassionally like most have over the years. Episodically they would worsen and I'd always figure out something like reinstall FSX which would work for a while. For a long time I loaded and opened FSX twice in a row to the starting airport which made all the difference, but lately that failed. I recently traded in my old 8800 GTS for a 560GTS and put FSX on a dedicated SSD.....still have the crashes. They happen after some time, an hour or so...therefore they generally happen only on LD flights....which I love so this is torturing me. The crash is sudden, no warning, and dosen't seem related to game stress such as heavy weather or frame rate issues....just cruising along. "FSX has to stop", error ALWAYS reads as - terrain.dll version 10.061472.0 fault address 0x0003e14f. Otherwise, FSX runs well, sliders are moderate. I use AS 2012 which seems to interface well and I have no fsiupc on board. Heat seems stable and normal. Aircraft are mostly non-payware, off FS.com which have generally worked well over the years. No scenery add ons. I have defragged and have a pretty clean machine. I use C cleaner, malwarebytes. Trying XPs disc scanner, check, and repair but I'm not optimistic. Any ideas?Thanks,DougIntel dualcore 3.14XP pro 64 bitnvidea 560GTSFSX sp1 and 2 on dedicated SSD (all else on the default drive) 3.94 GB RAM

Guest firehawk44
The crash is sudden, no warning, and dosen't seem related to game stress such as heavy weather or frame rate issues....just cruising along. "FSX has to stop", error ALWAYS reads as - terrain.dll version
So, where were you flying? Is it a newly installed scenery area? My research indicates this crash is caused by a bad scenery installation. The scenery is 'looking for an item that's not there'. If you recently installed an addon, reinstall it. A lot of software uses FSUIPC.dll and some will not work properly without it. The developer of FSUIPC recently created a fix for the G3D.dll error that many here at AVSIM were getting and it is included in the most recent versions. The free version works great! You have an older system too and you should be careful with moving your sliders too high. I recently got a terrain.dll crash when flying in heavy weather with AS2012 and in my PMDG 737. I had good fps but it still crashed. I lowered some settings (believed I had textures set at HD - 4096) and I never saw the crash again. Strange things WILL happen to your system if you put too many system resources on FSX. Let your system breathe a little by lowering some sliders.Best regards,Jim

JimCome to think of it, this problem most often crops up on my round the world trips. Last was over the Amazon....currently trying to cross northern Siberia westbond from Khtanga UOHH 1800 miles to Moscow UUDD. One might guess if there]s something missing in FSX it would be in such places. I have no new addons or non-stock scenery.My plan, in response to you:Will try a test USA cross country say, KSEA to KEWR which I've successfully done a zillion times but not recently.Nothing to lose from installing the latest FSUIPC right?Will turn the sliders down a notch. The 560 GTS seems to handle the highest res setting easily....should I lower that as well?Thanks so much.Doug

Guest firehawk44
The 560 GTS seems to handle the highest res setting easily....should I lower that as well?
I would lower a bit as you DID get the terrain.dll error so, technically, in my estimation, the 560 isn't handling the highest resolution very easily. My Terrain settings in FSX.cfg are:[TERRAIN]LOD_RADIUS=4.500000MESH_COMPLEXITY=100MESH_RESOLUTION=23TEXTURE_RESOLUTION=27AUTOGEN_DENSITY=0DETAIL_TEXTURE=1WATER_EFFECTS=6TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_TREES_PER_CELL=1000TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_BUILDINGS_PER_CELL=800Best regards,Jim

Jimthanks, I'll make those changes. I did a cross country while I slept from KSEA to KJFK and back....no issues. I think there are some bad terrain areas in the world. I'm looking at 2006 mod terrain fix which was listed as a must have on FS.com...not sure if its of value here or not.Thanks again, Doug