Sign in to follow this  
Nixon

Longest taxi times

HiI have just flown the 737-900WL from EHAM to EGLL. Schiphol airport covers a massive area and FSX ATC is not the best so when I was given 19R for take off I knew I was in for a long taxi. In fact it was just over 17 mins. My flight time from starting my take off run to vacating 27R at Heathrow was 43 mins. I then had a 12 min taxi to my gate at T4. So that was 29 mins taxi time for a 43 min flight!That got me wondering what other airports have long taxi times (caused by the distance to taxi rather that heavy traffic). In Europe CDG, Madrid and Arlanda all cover vast areas.So it would be interesting to hear of other peoples experience of long taxi routes.

Edited by Nixon

I don't think they actually use 19R for departures. As far as I know, it's arrivals only on 19R, and departures only on 1L.ATC in real life generally assigns runways closer to the terminals if at all possible, as long as it fits SOP. As an example, there's 19R/L here at KIAD, but they avoid using it unless they really have to because of the taxi time.

Kyle Rodgers

Ah, the infamous Polderbaan. I dont think there is any other runway known as well for just being so-effing-far...

I assumed that in real life 19R would only be for arrivals as you have to back track to take off on it.Mind you having to taxi to 1L would take almost as long! Schiphol is not exactly compact, nor is CDG

Edited by Nixon

Two that I frequent that always seem to take forever to taxi over to...

• 08R (the Reef runway) at PHNL Honolulu
  • 16L at YSSY Sydney - getting to or from it from the Intl cargo apron

Dean Stringer

Rick, and to that, LCCs use western parts of the terminal, imagine you were to taxi to the D gates or so :)

Denver.
+1

Chris Ferguson

PC Specs(Rebuilt 1/11/19): i7-9700K - Non-OC'd, EVGA RTX 2080ti, G.Skillz 16GB Ram 3000mhz, EVGA SuperNOVA 1000w PSU, Cooler Master ML360R, ASRock Phantom Gaming 4 MoBo, 2x 2TB HDD, 1x 1TB Samsung EVO SSD, 1x 220GB WD SSD

I like EHRD, must be the shortest.

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

• 16L at YSSY Sydney - getting to or from it from the Intl cargo apron

I have done that one many times as a PAX, and it does take a fair while to get there. I've also landed on the Polderbaan shortly after it was opened (after a long overnight flight from Kuala Lumpur), and it was interesting to look around the cabin as we made the trek to the terminal. People seemed really confused about the time it took.

HiI have just flown the 737-900WL from EHAM to EGLL. Schiphol airport covers a massive area and FSX ATC is not the best so when I was given 19R for take off I knew I was in for a long taxi. In fact it was just over 17 mins. My flight time from starting my take off run to vacating 27R at Heathrow was 43 mins. I then had a 12 min taxi to my gate at T4. So that was 29 mins taxi time for a 43 min flight!That got me wondering what other airports have long taxi times (caused by the distance to taxi rather that heavy traffic). In Europe CDG, Madrid and Arlanda all cover vast areas.So it would be interesting to hear of other peoples experience of long taxi routes.
Assuming you have the latest AFCAD for Amsterdam Schiphol Airport, 19R does not exist anymore. That would now be 18R. And indeed, it is never used for take off. Same goes for 36L, never used for landing. But indeed, it is a long way to go to/from the terminal. A/c with 3 or more engines are requested to switch one or two off for environmental reasons.I have multiple AFCAD´s of Ray Smith´s EHAM airport to make sure the right runways are assigned by FSX ATC since it easily makes mistakes. Not all runways are used for both take off and landing and so I can install the right AFCAD depending on the wind.To add some extra confusion; 06 and 27 are never used for take off and 24 and 09 only rarely used for landing. Menno

Menno 

i7-11700, 16GB, 1 TB SSD, 2 TB HDD, RTX 3070, Windows 11, MSFS 2020 DeLuxe, P3D 4.5

EHAM runway 18R takes the cake for me, for arrivals of course. And vice versa, using 36L for takeoffs. Haven't taken the NGX to EHAM yet, but about a year ago I made frequent stops to EHAM in the PMDG MD-11 and 747, and used that runway about eighty % of the time.All my flights are based on real world routes/times/equipment. In fact, I used those runways, despite the long taxi times, because I had proof that the runways were being used IRL according to the following website.http://casperflights.com/As a side note, that website was free when I used it a while back to research past flights, now unfortunately, you are limited to only 2 hours prior real time. I miss those good ole days....

Edited by 767fan

At EGLL taxi from T5 to Rwy 27L/R uses up loads of fuel especially if one has to wait in the queue as well.vololiberista

Edited by vololiberista

If you run RC4 you can ask for another one if you are not happy with the one they assign you first.

Per W Sweden