Sign in to follow this  
Vagabondo

VNAV, LNAV and Navaids

Hi There,I am a NG pilot and I bought NGX to practice some procedures that I don't often get the chance to do on the line, during the course of which I noticed some significant issues.There is something out of whack with the navaid database. If I reference KTM VAR (Kathmandu) in the FMC is shows correctly in terms of data and position. But if I tune 113.2 in NAV1 or 2 it actually tunes a nearby BDA (BIDA) VOR which is not only (according to the FMC) a freq of 112.7. BDA actually doesn't appear on any of my real and up to date charts. This is with the stock database as provided with NGX. I tried updating the database with the latest cycle too.Because I am training, I want to start a scenario from a specific point, speed, heading and configuration (etc). This works fine, not great, but adequate (takes too long to initialise, looses height, etc), but it is workable. However, after the initialisation is complete and back on path it is not then not possible to engage VNAV despite all the conditions being valid. Related to this (I believe) is that at that time I cannot access the DES page without getting a "PIN ERROR" message that sends me back to the root menu from where I need to reselect "<FMC" to get back to the legs page. The DES page remains inaccessible.The FMC calculates some strange magenta paths, with unnecessary turns or too tight/wide. I guess replicating the real FMC in this regard would be very challenging without their actual algorithms. But to compound this, LNAV does not seem to follow its own magenta line very well for turns requiring much managements. Especially, when VNAV won't engage and one has to manage the speed and vertical profile manually too. This does detract from the training benefit somewhat. Obviously, LVL CHG and VS are available, but that is a different training scenario.These issues withstanding, it is a fine product and I look forward to having some of these issues resolved.Cheers.

The NGX is not a level-D sim/FTD with an instructor station.Fred.

Edited by RYR738

Wrong VOR reception is not an NGX issue, but a platform issue (FSX). I am not sure this can be effectively changed, as FSX does not support deleting default navaids (circa 2006 dated database), but for your purposes zeroing the range may work for BDA.When loading the flight mid-air, entering slew mode for the period of initialisation makes your aircraft stop, but unlike pausing the game, does not stop the initialisation. Make sure you are not inputting any control pressure when loading, then hit "Y" as soon as you are in-flight.I don't know about VNAV issue.LNAV acts funny sometime... although I am somitemes not sure whether it is not that because LNAV algorythms are actually close to real algorythms, as other less complex add-ons can work fine. Problem might in my layman opinion be in the fact that the algorythms are made for an ARINC-like format (it was stated that ARINC data formats are planned to be supported in future), while the data themselves are in a very basic format.

Thanks Fabo,How unfortunate that the VOR problem can't be properly fixed.Thanks for the slew tip. Great info.Regarding VNAV, for takeoff and departure this all works great, but even if I don't pause or reload, but just continue the flight, loading up the arrival in the FMC , then I see still the problem as I previously described with the pin error, lack of speeds in the LEGS page, the descent path missing and being unable to engage VNAV or access the DES page.

If I remember well there is an update of airac for FSX on a website around the web,here we go http://www.btinterne...itch/index.html It says for FS9, but it works in FSX just fine.Manual wayI think you can do that with the SDK by copile an xml and place in add on scenery.First you need to exclude the VOR and then add the new vor.<ExclusionRectangle latitudeMinimum="X" latitudeMaximum="y" longitudeMinimum="x" longitudeMaximum="y" excludeAllObjects="TRUE" /><Vornav="TRUE"dme="TRUE"lat="41.35184943"lon="-89.15309158"alt="199.33918762"type="LOW"frequency="116.3500"range="12345"magvar="0.0"region="K6"ident="ABDY"name="Some VOR"><!-- Optional Dme element here --></Vor>Install SDK FROM FSX Professional on the document you will find all info.

Edited by simbio

There is something out of whack with the navaid database.
Hi there,I'm in the same shoes.There is a nice French gentleman doing regular updates to FSX's default navdata. Only VORs and NDBs.Try it there:http://www.aero.sors.fr/regardsPotroh