Sign in to follow this  
paula

hardware question

my system runs smooth and I am very happy with it but

in heavy clouds (using FEX) I got some problems with spikes.

my internal fps=25

I use no tweaks other than aff=14

I have i7 and 920 overclocked to 4.2 and have no problems with it and with my

extra cooler noctua temps are 65 average.

my question is :should another processor like i7- 980 extreme or a 960 solve this problem or is it caused due to the grafic card and is better gtx card the solution?

I have now gtx460- 2gh

I was looking for someone who has the knowledge about hardware.The software part I figured that out a long time ago.thanks anyway

Your i7-920 has 4 cores / 8 threads 8MB cache 4.8GT/sec system bus and DDR3 1066 memory Max memory bandwith=25.6 GT/sThe i7-960 has 4 cores / 8 threads 8MB cache 4.8 GT/sec system bus and DDR3 1066 memory Max memory bandwith=25.6 GT/sThe i7-980X has 6 cores / 12 threads 12MB cache 6.4GT/sec system bus and DDR3 1066 memory Max memory bandwith=25.6 GT/sAll other specs look identical between all three CPUsSo there are only a couple questions you need to answer to answer your question (in diminishing order of importance):1) How much faster can you overclock the 960 or 980X than you get out of the 920?2) Do you think FSX can take advantage of 2 more physical processors?3) Do you think FSX can take advantage of 4 more logical processors?As far as I can tell – the only think that matters, if you are not changing the graphics card, is the max GHz you can OC to.So – what do you think?Here is some more data to digesthttp://www.cpubenchm...ocked_cpus.html980x 34 test reports Average OverClock=4.31GHz PassMark CPUMark=12751960 17 test reports Average OverClock=3.94GHz PassMark CPUMark=8050920 27 test reports Average OverClock=3.65GHz PassMark CPUMark=7459the average 980x OC is only 0.1 GHz faster than you currently runHowever – the average 980x OC is only 9.4% faster in GHz than the average 960 at 3.94 GHz (still slower than your OC) but the 980X yields 58.4% HIGHER CPUMark score. The i7-960 is identical to the 920 except the 960 was able to RELIABLY run the Intel test at a higher clock rate so they label it a 960 and sell it for more money. If you can reliably run your 920 at 4.2 GHz then I wouldn't expect too much more out of a 960. But I still doubt that FSX will yield that kind of FPS percentage increase because of the inability of FSX to efficiently use all those PHYSICAL processors. And – last but not least the average 980X price in early January 2012 was $1029!

Edited by TacomaSailor

i7-9700K @4.9 GHz  / Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro Mobo / 32 GB DDR4 / RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU / AORUS FO48U 4k display
 SSD for Drive C and another SSD dedicate to Flight Sim / 1 GB Comcast Xfinity Internet connection / HP Reverb G2 / Tobii 5 Head & Eye Tracking

read about me and my sailing adventures at www.svmirador.net/WebsiteOne/ or at Flickr TacomaSailor

thanks and I understand now how to save money!so my problem can only be solved by future replacements of the computer.