Sign in to follow this  
ramrunner800

Turbine Enging Management

I feel like such a noob asking this, but all the time I've flown MSFS is in pistons and jets. Does anybody have a good explanation, or a link to an explanation, of appropriate turboprop engine management techniques? I keep burning out the engines on my pretty new Turbine Duke, and I'm also finding the speed really difficult to control on descent (I've overstressed more than a couple). Any of your help is much appreciated.

Guest jahman
appropriate turboprop engine management techniques? I keep burning out the engines on my pretty new Turbine Duke
Check the manual: There are time and temperature limits on the ITT (and you can disable them im the config). In the RW you also need to avoid hot starts and engine wear is also a function of (start-stop) cycles, not just hours.Cheers,- jahman. Edited by jahman

Thanks for the replies, Im slowly figuring out how to work these engines. They're not quite as simple as the throttles forward=more thrust on turbojets and piston aircraft.

Guest bstolle

You can keep the condition lever and the prop lever full forward all the time. Many performance tabled only quote cruise performance at max RPM,The only item which remains is the throttle. No leaning, no shock cooling etc.. A jet / turboprop is IRL easier to operate than a pisten engine.

Guest jahman
A jet / turboprop is IRL easier to operate than a pisten engine.
Especially if your piston engine is the venerable 28-cylinder supercharged and turbocharged P&W R-4360 Wasp Major! :((Operating instructions here. Fly 4 of them on A2A's Boeing B-377, video
.)Cheers,- jahman.

Basically keep ITT and torque values in the green at all times. One will always be the limiting factor, you just need to watch which one comes first.