Not that great of an article, but thought I would post anyways.http://lenzfire.com/...g-review-87206/Some of the things don't make much sense like RAM speed etc. Their sample got to 4.8 ghz, but supposed to be 10% quicker clock for clock; but that 10% may loose some of that in high oc's, but future samples may yield better oc ability than this sample. Most are aware of this already. Not sure what is ment by the CPU got hot and single threaded and double threaded applications and different ghz levels..

Edited by simon747

Simon

2800MHz RAM. Wowzers.Also exciting that if you're willing to forgo PCIe3.0 you can stick IB in your Z68 motherboard as an interim upgrade. But that's been the word for a while, now.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Zachary Waddell -- Caravan Driver --

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/zwaddell

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

2800MHz RAM. Wowzers.Also exciting that if you're willing to forgo PCIe3.0 you can stick IB in your Z68 motherboard as an interim upgrade. But that's been the word for a while, now.
Glad that P67 is is compatible as well.. Might pick up one of these in a few months :D

Guest jahman

IB OC'd at 4.5 GHz = 5 GHz SB-equivalent performance for the masses! (With some lucky dudes OCing IB to 5 GHz getting 5.5 GHz SB-equivalent performance!) Will the autogen slider hit the right stop now?Still, I would wait for the second generation masks for improved OC-ability and general stability of the processor, as well as wait for the IB-specific chipset.Cheers,- jahman.

Edited by jahman

Still, I would wait for the second generation masks for improved OC-ability and general stability of the processor, as well as wait for the IB-specific chipset.
Remember that IB is a die shrink, not a new architecture. All of SB's "short comings" (are there any?) will be ironed out with IB.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

Guest jahman
Remember that IB is a die shrink, not a new architecture. All of SB's "short comings" (are there any?) will be ironed out with IB.
A die shrink requires a new mask (especially when the gate technology is changed!) Masks need to be "ironed out" not for logic defects as much as for optical defects, as well as for optical process improvements, all relating to how to better etch gates that are too small (they always are!) for the wavelength used. Specifically, this means using wave equations to mathematically model expected interference patterns to anticipate etching errors and work them out by slightly adjusting the mask.I'd post the link, but Wikipedia is going through with a blackout due to SOPA: Next election day, remember to thank the politicians in Washington! :Big Grin:Cheers,- jahman. Edited by jahman

A die shrink requires a new mask (especially when the gate technology is changed!) Masks need to be "ironed out" not for logic defects as much as for optical defects, as well as for optical process improvements, all relating to how to better etch gates that are too small (they always are!) for the wavelength used. Specifically, this means using wave equations to mathematically model expected interference patterns to anticipate etching errors and work them out by slightly adjusting the mask.I'd post the link, but Wikipedia is going through with a blackout due to SOPA: Next election day, remember to thank the politicians in Washington! :Big Grin:Cheers,- jahman.
Fair enough. I'll take your word for it. I always forget not to get you on a physics rant. :unknw: HahaIn my experience, newer steppings, etc. within die shrinks haven't made much difference over the years.And this wiki black out is miffing me! I never knew how many times in a day I glance at a wiki page!

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

Guest jahman
Fair enough. I'll take your word for it. I always forget not to get you on a physics rant. :unknw: Haha
Hey, I'll take IFR lessons from you any day! :Big Grin:
In my experience, newer steppings, etc. within die shrinks haven't made much difference over the years.
10% IB over SB performance, as per quoted article test results.
And this wiki black out is miffing me! I never knew how many times in a day I glance at a wiki page!
Mask improvements are called "OPC - Optical Proximity Correction". In the photo mask below:the thick green lines are the actual circuits. The thinner lines are not transferred to the silicon and only assist in focussing the beam. The zig-zag waviness is the OPC bit.The next image is a close-up of OPC Correction. The desired shape is in blue (includes most of the red except the corners), the OPC shape is in green and the actual shape that's constructed on the silicon is in red.And that's how they get away with printing 22 nm circuits on silicon! It is rather amazing...Cheers,- jahman. Edited by jahman

Hey, I'll take IFR lessons from you any day! :Big Grin:10% IB over SB performance, as per quoted article test results.Mask improvements are called "OPC - Optical Proximity Correction". In the photo mask below:the thick green lines are the actual circuits. The thinner lines are not transferred to the silicon and only assist in focussing the beam. The zig-zag waviness is the OPC bit.The next image is a close-up of OPC Correction. The desired shape is in blue (includes most of the red except the corners), the OPC shape is in green and the actual shape that's constructed on the silicon is in red.And that's how they get away with printing 22 nm circuits on silicon! It is rather amazing...Cheers,- jahman.
An amazing age we live in!

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

I wonder how many people in this forum that are going to upgrade to these chips are going to upgrade their motherboards too.

It will be a small upgrade, not sure how much IPC difference between the chips when both are oc'd to 4.5 or so maybe 2-3%, I doubt 10% will stand there at highish oc levels. Also, they were testing a 3.4 ghz (2600k) vs the new IB that starts out at 3.5 ghz (3770K) thats 3% difference there in clockspeed alone.As long as you have a chipset that supports pci 3.0, if that is of use to you, then there is no real difference between the new z77 chipset and the current SB chipsets. You can use IB in all SB chipsets and all SB motherboards via a bios update for older boards. Still good to see some improvement in a die shrunk; looks like they are not going for higher clock speeds yet on the 22nm, maybe later...

Edited by simon747

Simon

I wonder how many people in this forum that are going to upgrade to these chips are going to upgrade their motherboards too.
I will probably upgrade both mobo and processor. I figure I can sell my 2600k and get the 2500k IB equivalent, sell the Z68 Deluxe and get the Z77 Pro equivalent, and lose very little to no money in the whole process. I'll time that with the release of Kepler and pick up a very high-end card for my system!

Corey Meeks

Flight Simulator - FS2020 | CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Video Card - Sapphire RX 5700 XT Main Board - ASUS ROG Strix X570-I mini-ITX | RAM - G.SKILL Trident Z Neo 2x16Gb DDR4 3600Mhz CL16 | Monitor - DELL 38" U3818DW (3840x1600) | Case - Cooler Master NR200 | CPU Cooling - Noctua NH-U12A | Power Supply - Corsair SF750 | 6x Phanteks T30 120x30mm Fans

Download: FSXMark11 Benchmark and post results here

Not that great of an article, but thought I would post anyways.http://lenzfire.com/...g-review-87206/Some of the things don't make much sense like RAM speed etc. Their sample got to 4.8 ghz, but supposed to be 10% quicker clock for clock; but that 10% may loose some of that in high oc's, but future samples may yield better oc ability than this sample. Most are aware of this already. Not sure what is ment by the CPU got hot and single threaded and double threaded applications and different ghz levels..
These two comments don't look too attractive:
  • Theoretically the temperature should be low but under load the CPU temperature readings are high
  • Stability of multi-threaded benchmark has been achieved at a frequency of 4.8 GHz only

Where does IB gets it 10% bump, assuming was saying clock for clock? What is the next Tick for Intel CPUs? I am wondering if the trend towards dedicating more towards GPU performance is where most of the upcoming improvements really will focus on. 10% improvements are really uninspiring to me. Why bother! However, as I'm still on Core 2 Quad I should see maybe 60% bump w/ IB, or 50% w/ SB. May have to hang around till the next Tock cycle hits and who know maybe I can get double the fun!

Edited by Noel

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

I just realised that we have like buttons in these forums and it was your post that i noticed it on. As for the question, at the moment I am saving for an ASUS Transformer Prime or Motorola Droid Xyboard 10.1 as I have thought that my computer is very good, compared to most household and even many gaming rigs. I figure I will upgrade on the next tock and hopefully be amazed instead of thinking, huh, this is a nice change.