Guest jahman
Where does IB gets it 10% bump, assuming was saying clock for clock?
For example, can be from increased L1/L2/L3 cache sizes and faster RAM access.
What is the next Tick for Intel CPUs?
After the 22 nm IB Tick comes 22 nm Haswell Tock.Cheers,- jahman.

For example, can be from increased L1/L2/L3 cache sizes and faster RAM access.After the 22 nm IB Tick comes 22 nm Haswell Tock.Cheers,- jahman.
Will Haswell run on 1155? Will IPC be improved? I know that the series is a few years away but, I am interested to know these kind of questions for the series that might be the cure for FSX once and for all.

Remember that this leaked test was on an early engineering sample. Whether Ivy Bridge will be a worthwhile upgrade from Sandy Bridge will be a lot clearer shortly. I think it will be. If not, I will hold onto what I have for awhile longer than expected.Kind regards,

Guest jahman
Will Haswell run on 1155?
Haswell being a new microarchitecture (a "tick"), most likely not.
the series that might be the cure for FSX once and for all
For those OCing their CPU to 5 GHz, SB already is the cure!Same for those OCing IB (when released) to 4.5 GHz, assuming a 10% clock-for-clock performance improvement over SB. Those OCing to 5.5 GHz (and I'm guessing this will be possible with Tri-Gate) could sport a 21% improvement over SB at 5 GHz.FSX
will only require 4 GHz with Haswell (assuming a 10% improvement over IB). Those able to OC Haswell to 5.5 GHz would get a 33% improvement over SB.So as these new CPUs are introduced what you will see is the 10% that get "satisfaction" with SB will increase to definitely most with IB and to absolutely all with Haswell. (Then again the appearance of 8192 x 8192 textures and 10 cm/Px sceneries will eat away at that satisfaction.)So what's the likely hood of a 10% improvement from SB to IB and another 10% to Haswell? Considering the massive investment need to develop each new CPU generation (new microarchitecture for a tick and new process -die shrink- for a tock), it would be foolish for Intel to make those investments without that 10% performance bump. It would also be a marketing flop brandwise and a financial flop stock-wise (as the assumed P/E Ratio was decreased by analysts).Cheers,- Jahman.

Haswell being a new microarchitecture (a "tick"), most likely not.For those OCing their CPU to 5 GHz, SB already is the cure!Same for those OCing IB (when released) to 4.5 GHz, assuming a 10% clock-for-clock performance improvement over SB. Those OCing to 5.5 GHz (and I'm guessing this will be possible with Tri-Gate) could sport a 21% improvement over SB at 5 GHz.FSX
will only require 4 GHz with Haswell (assuming a 10% improvement over IB). Those able to OC Haswell to 5.5 GHz would get a 33% improvement over SB.So as these new CPUs are introduced what you will see is the 10% that get "satisfaction" with SB will increase to definitely most with IB and to absolutely all with Haswell. (Then again the appearance of 8192 x 8192 textures and 10 cm/Px sceneries will eat away at that satisfaction.)So what's the likely hood of a 10% improvement from SB to IB and another 10% to Haswell? Considering the massive investment need to develop each new CPU generation (new microarchitecture for a tick and new process -die shrink- for a tock), it would be foolish for Intel to make those investments without that 10% performance bump. It would also be a marketing flop brandwise and a financial flop stock-wise (as the assumed P/E Ratio was decreased by analysts).Cheers,- Jahman.
Thanks for the in depth analysis. I wonder if I might hold off on IB.... So tempting though.... Those 3770K's seem like they have got some seriosuly OC'ing potential. Only worry is voltage.... :unsure:

Only worry is voltage.... :unsure:
Nothing to worry about Ben. Let Srdan blow his Ivy Bridge up with his high voltage while we catch the pieces! :Nerd:

Let Srdan blow his Ivy Bridge up with his high voltage while we catch the pieces! :Nerd:
:LMAO:

Guest jahman
Thanks for the in depth analysis.
You're welcome!
I wonder if I might hold off on IB.... So tempting though.... Those 3770K's seem like they have got some seriosuly OC'ing potential. Only worry is voltage.... :unsure:
And then of course you get PCIe 3 (2x the BW of PCIe2), plus native USB3 (5 GBit/Sec) support on IB MBs with the Panther Point chipset. So that's my aim for for my next PC upgrade.Cheers,- jahman.

Haswell seems to be 1150 pins.For me IB will run in the current MB with BIOS update. This time next year migrate to Haswell if IB doesn't finally do it for FSX.

Regards

Howard

H D Isaacs

Haswell being a new microarchitecture (a "tick"), most likely not.For those OCing their CPU to 5 GHz, SB already is the cure!Same for those OCing IB (when released) to 4.5 GHz, assuming a 10% clock-for-clock performance improvement over SB. Those OCing to 5.5 GHz (and I'm guessing this will be possible with Tri-Gate) could sport a 21% improvement over SB at 5 GHz.Cheers,- Jahman.
I love your analyses Jahman, don't know how spot on they are but they do sound so!OK, looking for your opinion on this as I can't recall if you chimed in on this topic previously: will water cooling give me the best shot at quiet & maximally over clocked CPU? Quiet and cool sure sounds appealing. And, how much risk is there in water leakage aka a catastrophic event? Thanks in advance for your opinion, which I value.Noel

Noel

System:  9900K@5.0gHz@1.23v all cores, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S w/ steady supply of 40-60F ambient air intake, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 2, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frametime Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320NX, WT 787X

Guest jahman
OK, looking for your opinion on this as I can't recall if you chimed in on this topic previously: will water cooling give me the best shot at quiet & maximally over clocked CPU? Quiet and cool sure sounds appealing. And, how much risk is there in water leakage aka a catastrophic event? Thanks in advance for your opinion, which I value.Noel
Noel, I have no actual experience with water cooling except for what I read on this forum.That said, water cooling is better than air. As for leakages, they seem to be a thing of the past as liquid coolant technology for PCs matured. There are many folks raving about the Corsair H-100 cooler on this forum, and I will likely get one myself for my next PC build.Cheers,- jahman.

That said, water cooling is better than air. As for leakages, they seem to be a thing of the past as liquid coolant technology for PCs matured. There are many folks raving about the Corsair H-100 cooler on this forum, and I will likely get one myself for my next PC build.
The H100 is kinda of a POS. I have a dead one right now and I need to get it replaced. I had another dead one before this one.... Corsair seems to have a problem with them as many other people have this issue.

Guest jahman
The H100 is kinda of a POS. I have a dead one right now and I need to get it replaced. I had another dead one before this one.... Corsair seems to have a problem with them as many other people have this issue.
Yikes! Thanks for the HU!Cheers,- jahman.

Yikes! Thanks for the HU!Cheers,- jahman.
It appears the H80 is a very good compromise in terms of cooling & noise. It appears to share similar parts so I wonder if it's troublesome. Pretty compelling, liquid cooling that is. Here is a good comparison of the different models from Corsair using this basic engineering:http://www.anandtech.com/show/5054/corsair-hydro-series-h60-h80-and-h100-reviewed

Noel

System:  9900K@5.0gHz@1.23v all cores, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S w/ steady supply of 40-60F ambient air intake, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 2, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frametime Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320NX, WT 787X

Guest jahman
It appears the H80 is a very good compromise in terms of cooling & noise. It appears to share similar parts so I wonder if it's troublesome. Pretty compelling, liquid cooling that is.
I wonder if it's possibl to install longer hoses to have the radiator out of the PC case or even out of the room.
Here is a good comparison of the different models from Corsair using this basic engineering:http://www.anandtech...d-h100-reviewed
And then there's also Indigo Extreme to solder (literally!) the CPU to the H-100 base (Heat sink compatibility, requires spring-loaded base).Cheers,- jahman.