Sign in to follow this  
vadriver

Some US Gates

teamthe attached of gate cordinates at the respective payware airports can be added to your sidstars folder files .... to call up when setting the IRS alignment.i believe they can be used in any PMDG sim.enjoy if of interest.

Edited by vadriver

for now, cheers

john martin

Very cool. Where did you get these? I'd like to add some of the airports that I frequent.

Very cool. Where did you get these? I'd like to add some of the airports that I frequent.
jackit is a "cumbersome process" .... but briefly as follows:
  • with ADE, make an xml copy of the airports compile.
  • open that file with notepad & copy the data on the gates / parking to excel.
  • then sort that data to remove the unwanted bits and move the required to separate columns for editing / concatenating to the ariac format
  • then save to a unicode txt file for copying to the sidstar file.

please note you need to convert the coord's decimal degrees to degree decimal minutes.hope this helps.

for now, cheers

john martin

What is the "airports compile"? Is it a file in FSX?Also, what is "ADE"?

teamthe attached of gate cordinates at the respective payware airports can be added to your sidstars folder files .... to call up when setting the IRS alignment.i believe they can be used in any PMDG sim.enjoy if of interest.
Thanks for these...DJ

jackit is a "cumbersome process" .... but briefly as follows:
  • with ADE, make an xml copy of the airports compile.
  • open that file with notepad & copy the data on the gates / parking to excel.
  • then sort that data to remove the unwanted bits and move the required to separate columns for editing / concatenating to the ariac format
  • then save to a unicode txt file for copying to the sidstar file.

please note you need to convert the coord's decimal degrees to degree decimal minutes.hope this helps.

I'm guessing it would be really straight forward to write a tool that does automatically. Thats the approach I would have gone for anyways, instead of tedious manual work.

jackADE at http://www.airportde....uk/ade_003.htm & in which you can create an airport's xml by using the compile option (& you have settings set to do so) !!
OK, one more try....I figured what ADE was and downloaded it. Now, where does this program get the information that contains the coordinates of the gates? Is this information stored in BGL files in FSX? I'm just not understanding what you are saying here. There has to be a source file for ADE to obtain this information.

I'm guessing it would be really straight forward to write a tool that does automatically. Thats the approach I would have gone for anyways, instead of tedious manual work.
MakeRunways already does this - all you have to do is look at the g5.csv file that it generates and extract the positions you are interested in. It also lists any airline assignments to those gates.DJ

DJhaven't used MakeRunways for a while now, but as I recall there would still be a lot of sorting / editing to do to put into the required Airac format.Johani'm sure someone a tad "geekier" than i could write a tool to "automate" the process though it only took me an hour to do 8 after understanding what needed to be done the first time.it surprises me that navigraph haven't such a tool to do the default airports for the PMDG airac, given it would cover many aircraft !!the ones i did are all paywares which can be different & thus not done by navigraph.Jackthe data is in the respective airports "airport bgl" file.firstly, check ade's settings / options / general to save an xml after compile, then open your airport and file / compile airport the file thus creating / saving to another (your desktop) folder, a redundant bgl copy alongside the required xml file)

for now, cheers

john martin

teammy apologies .... there were some glitches in the airac formatting in 4 of my efforts.the corrected files are as follows (& please let me know if there are others) :

Edited by vadriver

for now, cheers

john martin

DJhaven't used MakeRunways for a while now, but as I recall there would still be a lot of sorting / editing to do to put into the required Airac format.Johani'm sure someone a tad "geekier" than i could write a tool to "automate" the process though it only took me an hour to do 8 after understanding what needed to be done the first time.it surprises me that navigraph haven't such a tool to do the default airports for the PMDG airac, given it would cover many aircraft !!the ones i did are all paywares which can be different & thus not done by navigraph.Jackthe data is in the respective airports "airport bgl" file.firstly, check ade's settings / options / general to save an xml after compile, then open your airport and file / compile airport the file thus creating / saving to another (your desktop) folder, a redundant bgl copy alongside the required xml file)
Not directed at you John - your posting provided a service to users. My comment was directed at Johan, who was wondering about an automated tool. Given the MakeRunways output, it would be trivial to create such a tool. However, given the peculiar naming conventions that I see in many airports' AFCADS, it isn't clear whether or not it would actually be useful, since many sceneries don't necessarily reflect the same numbers visually.DJ

DJyou're spot on ... there is often discrepencies between afcad data and photreal / developer markings / codings, even in paywares.the more i look at it, the more i see why navigraph avoid adding gate coords in detail to their airacs !

Edited by vadriver

for now, cheers

john martin

DJyou're spot on ... there is often discrepencies between afcad data and photreal / developer markings / codings, even in paywares.the more i look at it, the more i see why navigraph avoid adding gate coords in detail to their airacs !
I think that the NaviGraph gates are limited to those that the original customer for the data they use requires... none the less, you're quite right - the whole subject is a can of worms. Codings don't match across the board, and gates fairly frequently change. In truth, while it is nice to fill in the blanks in the FMC, it really isn't required for RW or FS navigation when a GPS is providing the actual location data dynamically.DJ

Where are the airport bgl files held in the FSX directory structure? I see files with names like AP*.bgl in those 0000 through 1070 folders under the fsxscenery folder, but finding a specific airport seems to be trial and error. For example, how would I find the bgl for KPHL?