Sign in to follow this  
rsrandazzo

Advance Notice: SP1c pending for the NGX...

Captains-I wanted to give you some advance notice that we are in the process of wrapping up another update to the NGX.This is a minor update that is being done primarily to clean up a couple of items that we have addressed since the release of SP1b on 09DEC11. We have found some areas for improved performance efficiency, as well as a few other items that have been fixed along the way.In addition, this update will prepare your NGX installation to fully utilize products created by developers using the NGX SDK. A few developers have had access to the SDK for some time now, and they have been quietly helping to provide feedback on various functionality bits in order to help us ensure that we are accomplishing the desired tasks without any unexpected consequences.WIth respect to the SDK, we are sorting out how to bring a few pieces of the distribution mechanism into compliance with the guidance we have received from legal. Once we have those details sorted out *and* the SP1c built, we'll make it all available to you!A few are likely to ask: Why all the updates, PMDG? After all- we normally issue one or two updates and then move on to the next project, right?Well... the beauty about the way the NGX was created is that we are adapting the 777 to match some of the things we are learning about the NGX as it matures in the marketplace. Part of ground up redesign we did starting in 2008 was to make certain that we can easily roll changes forward and backward between products so that if we find an efficiency while developing the 777, we can roll it into the NGX with relatively little fuss...We want these products to be a bit more living and breathing than they've been in the past- because ultimately it improves your experience with the simulator- and that is whole mission goal!I do not have an firm ETA for SP1c/SDK release just yet- but it is pretty close... (Closer than the NGX release was when we started it in 2008, for example. :( )

Robert S. Randazzo coolcap.gif

PLEASE NOTE THAT PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at:  http://forum.pmdg.com

Thank you for the update. I hope all the SDK folks can simmer down a bit. (I'm not so sure about the folks wanting a JS41 SP though...)Best wishes

"I am the Master of the Fist!" -Akuma

Great news Robert. Thanks for the update. A welcome message for sure.Regards,

Rick Hobbs

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

Thank you for the update. I hope all the SDK folks can simmer down a bit. (I'm not so sure about the folks wanting a JS41 SP though...)Best wishes
Lol you shouldn't have gone there.

Nice update surprise! One of the reasons every morning the first thing I do with the coffee is to check the PMDG site for the news :Cuppa:I was sure (FS2CREW) might be closer to release than we would expect (here I open the Pandora box)...Best news indeed is the fact that presimably delivery time of 777 will be much shorter after NGX than NGX after MD-11.

Edited by MMartinov

Regards,

Martin Martinov / VATSIM 1207931

Martin-If the development timeline for the 777 isn't shorter than the NGX, we will be forced to make a ritual sacrifice of Ryan in order to please the development gods...

Martin-If the development timeline for the 777 isn't shorter than the NGX, we will be forced to make a ritual sacrifice of Ryan in order to please the development gods...
This indeed will be done in front of the marching ordes of PMDG fans :(

Regards,

Martin Martinov / VATSIM 1207931

Well done...good to hear

Edited by crosswind

KROSWYND    a.k.a KILO_WHISKEY
Majestic Software Development/Support
Banner_MJC8.png

Sys 1:  AMD 7950X3D, NOCTUA D15S, Gigabyte Elite B650, MSI 4090, 64Gb Ram, Corsair 850 Power Supply, 2x2TB M.2 Samsung 980s, 1x4TB WDD M.2, 6xNoctua 120mm case fans, LG C2 55" OLED running at 120Hz for the monitor, Win11. Sys 2:  i7 8700k, MSI GAMING MBoard, 32Gigs RAM, MSI 4070Ti & EVGA 1080Ti. Hardware:  Brunner CLS-E-NG Yoke, Fulcrum One yoke, TM TPR Rudder Pedals, Yoko TQ6+ NEO, StreamDeck, Tobii Eye Tracker, Virpil VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Base with a TM grip
SIMULATORS: MSFS2020/XP12/P3D v5.4 & v6:  YouTube Videos

A question regarding the SDK...no not about when it's released. If some developers have had access to it already, does that mean they could potentially release their products fo ruse with the NGX without the SDK itself being officially released to the public (once we ge SP1c of course)? I know some NGX owners want a personal copy of the SDK for hardware interfacing, etc, but I think the vast majority of us aren't even so anxious for the SDK itself than for things like FS2Crew that will need it to run. Personally I'd be happy never even having the SDK personally as long as people like Mr. York can develop off this.Eric Szczesniak

Eric Szczesniak

If the development timeline for the 777 isn't shorter than the NGX, we will be forced to make a ritual sacrifice of Ryan in order to please the development gods...
Ryan... Been nice knowing ya....Just kidding.. glad to hear Captain, hope thing move forward, cleared direct...

7900X OC @ 4.8GHz | ASRock Fatal1ty X299 Professional | 2 x EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 (SLI) | 32GB G.Skill DDR4 2800

Eric-

A question regarding the SDK...no not about when it's released. If some developers have had access to it already, does that mean they could potentially release their products fo ruse with the NGX without the SDK itself being officially released to the public (once we ge SP1c of course)?
The developers who are currently working with the SDK to test and verify the funtionality are doing so by working on the products/interfaces that utilize the SDK. They are trusted partners of PMDG, so I highly doubt any of them would violate this trust by releasing something that does not comply with the guidance that they have been provided. At this point they are not even allowed to identify themselves as working with the SDK.That being said- their testing efforts will dramatically shorten the time to market for them... Which is one of the side benefits of having them work with us to test and validate the suite of tools we are providing.It is worth noting that the SDK really isn't geared toward home users. You have to have some coding skills and understand how to work with development tools. The end user will benefit when the hardware and software developers spend some time to create plug-and-play interfaces to make allow their hardware to work with the NGX without the user having to spend time figuring out how to make that happen...

...They are trusted partners of PMDG, so I highly doubt any of them would violate this trust by releasing something that does not comply with the guidance that they have been provided...
Understood. Please understand, I wasn't asking or expecting them to release things that aren't approved or ready. I was just wondering if perhaps the SDK could be used by a few people without need to be available to the public for installation (in the same way that I don't need the FSX SDK installed in order to run scenary made by someone else using the SDK).Eric Szczesniak

Eric Szczesniak