Sign in to follow this  
fakeflyer737

Shimmers

Guys,I'm using the latest nVidia + Inspector drivers, however it seems that FSX AA is getting worse and worse with newer drivers. I have tried tons of different types of AA. I either get horrid FPS or it just shimmer like all hell. I have UTX, GEX and UT2 and everything is shimmering. There must be a combination AA/Drivers/ etc that would work best for FSX., can you please help. I am using the GTX 480 card.Cheers

Ron Hamilton

"95% is half the truth, but most of it is lies, but if you read half of what is written, you'll be okay." __ Honey Boo Boo's Mom

Guys,I'm using the latest nVidia + Inspector drivers, however it seems that FSX AA is getting worse and worse with newer drivers. I have tried tons of different types of AA. I either get horrid FPS or it just shimmer like all hell. I have UTX, GEX and UT2 and everything is shimmering. There must be a combination AA/Drivers/ etc that would work best for FSX., can you please help. I am using the GTX 480 card.Cheers
The latest Nvidia drivers and Inspector v 1.9.5.9 should give great results with your card. Can you post a pic of your Inspector settings in the FSX profile?

___________________________________________________________________________________

Zachary Waddell -- Caravan Driver --

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/zwaddell

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

I run a much older nVidia 8800GTS (640MB) and have carefully studied the shimmer problem. The OP is correct - as I update my nVidia driver - my shimmer gets worse and worse. Nothing I do can get 290.53 shimmer to be as unobtrusive as it was in 196.21.On the other hand - my FPS, in a carefully managed benchmark, has increased about 20% by going from 196.21 thru the various upgrades and now settling at 290.53.I have running the latest nVidia Inspector - but that should make no difference. Inspector is just a tool for managing the graphics configuration.

i7-9700K @4.9 GHz  / Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro Mobo / 32 GB DDR4 / RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU / AORUS FO48U 4k display
 SSD for Drive C and another SSD dedicate to Flight Sim / 1 GB Comcast Xfinity Internet connection / HP Reverb G2 / Tobii 5 Head & Eye Tracking

read about me and my sailing adventures at www.svmirador.net/WebsiteOne/ or at Flickr TacomaSailor

I just posted in this thread on SimForums, which has lots of good stuff on shimmers:http://www.simforums.com/forums/topic41128_post242274.html#242274I was seeing bad shimmer on trees and other fine objects with my GTX580 with drivers 285.62 & 275.33.The fix (for me - not necessarily saying it will work for anyone else, or indeed that it may not introduce other problems) was to set Antialising Transparency Supersampling to 8xSparse Grid Supersampling. Everything is now rock steady.

I just posted in this thread on SimForums, which has lots of good stuff on shimmers:http://www.simforums...274.html#242274I was seeing bad shimmer on trees and other fine objects with my GTX580 with drivers 285.62 & 275.33.The fix (for me - not necessarily saying it will work for anyone else, or indeed that it may not introduce other problems) was to set Antialising Transparency Supersampling to 8xSparse Grid Supersampling. Everything is now rock steady.
At 8x you will get hamered in cloud. I use 2x grid and no shimmering with a GTX580. Have you tested in heavy weather ? just curious

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

I have now ! I set up some heavy weather over London and flew through it at different Grid SS settings. All flights were smooth, and to be honest, I couldn't see much difference (in performance or IQ) between 2x and 8x. That being the case, taking into account all the feedback, I will probably go with 2x for the time being.