Sign in to follow this  
JohnY

Incorrect messages

I've had this a few times now on various flights and think its time to mention it.An example; I'm on my way to Madrid flying at the correct height and as instructed on my own navigation. At each waypoint I've received the little bleep. Yet even though I'm still dead on the line flying the correct heading when a controller comes on and tells me I'm off course and to travel a heading in the opposite direction I want to go.So, I opt to a 'go direct' to a waypoint on my route and get permission. I am still dead on the line and heading for my 'go direct' when a minute or two later on comes the ATC controller telling me again I'm off course and to change my heading to the opposite way I want to fly together with a telling off and request if I want assistance.A minute only after that, I get a controller on giving me the directions for 'approach'. I follow the new directions and get down safely at Barrajas.There's got to be something wrong somewhere don't you think?John

Compare your heading with the one in the RC status window. Also compare your next checkpoint in that window to the one you are using on your nav equipment.On a direct to make sure your nav equipment is set to navigate from your present position to the waypoint to be credited. Do not return to the original flight path. Your heading should be within 15 degrees (default RC tolerance) of that shown in the RC status area.You state you have heard the checkpoint ding. Are you sure this is not a crossing restriction issue at just pass forty nm out from destination? Be sure if you are above the transition altitude that you have set the altimeter to standard pressure of 29.92 in or 1013 mb. Below transition altitude it will be local pressure. Be aware that outside of FAA territory the transition altitude is set to a local standard as noted in the RC options tab for each airport on the controller tab.To insure RC doesn't jump into issuing a correction too soon delay sending an ack until your aircraft is performing as instructed. Also be aware that a delayed ack near a checkpoint can stall RC from giving you credit for that waypoint.See if that works for you.

Hi Ron,Thanks for your reply.'Compare your heading with the one in the RC status window. Also compare your next checkpoint in that window to the one you are using on your nav equipment.'Yes, I always work from the status window. However, sometimes its windy so I do amend that by a few degrees, never more than say 5 either way, in order to stay on course.'Are you sure this is not a crossing restriction issue at just pass forty nm out from destination'Absolutely, I get the dings all the way!'Also be aware that a delayed ack near a checkpoint can stall RC from giving you credit for that waypoint.'Now, that could be a possibility. I have occasionally discovered that I haven't acknowledged a message, usually because I haven't heard it! I promptly then do so but that could be too late. I can't say that I've connected the two events myself but I'll try to be more diligent in future.As I say, it's annoying because it doesn't happen with every flight and when it does it comes as a complete surprise and of course, the well known law applies, when it does happen it's on a long flight!Thanks very much for this helpful information Ron. It doesn't explain why they contradicted themselves within a minute but that may have been due to the program not being able to skip and it was dealing with things in turn. I was convinced it was Radar Contact causing the problem but you've placed a seedling of doubt in my mind. And, let's face it, it's more likely to be me than RC isn't it?!!John

About the crossing restriction. There is no 'ding' involved since it only checks your coordinates, not altitude.If you need more flexibility during departure and arrival try the NOTAMS option but be aware flexibility does not apply to the crossing restriction.If you are flying very long legs in RC options increase you heading tolerance. It has to do with great circle navigation differences.

Edited by ronzie

Thanks for this Ron but I'm afraid you're now talking in a language with which I'm totally unfamiliar!I'll have a look at NOTAMS even if I don't know what it means..All the best.John

No Dan, I always fly in real time, and with FSX Real World Weather (15 min.Updates) and REX with my settings which I find combine with the RWW perfectly.I never speed anything up. If the flight is going to take too long I don't do it.What sensitive souls all these flight simulator programs are!John

You need to look at the manuals or at least at the tutorials in order to be competent in using RC. Check out NOTAMS, crossing restriction, and transition altitudes. Also do not use the 'B' key to set your altimeter as it would give incorrect settings outside of FAA territories. In FS the TA is hard coded at 18,000 feet which will not work outside of FAA areas.

Thanks for this Ron but I'm afraid you're now talking in a language with which I'm totally unfamiliar!I'll have a look at NOTAMS even if I don't know what it means..All the best.John

Another thing I've learned Ron. Thanks. I must admit to using the 'B' key fairly frequently because even without the prompt I find that the pressures change which of course affects the altitude.I'll give setting it a try.It seems that for the time being I'm not really going to have a lot of time for sight seeing!I think the whole of the manual is a 'Notice to Airmen' . However, I do know a little about crossing restrictions, speed restrictions and transition altitudes. Enough to get by anyway. That is to say the controllers are not constantly having to nag me for getting them wrong and most times I get a; 'good, at this rate you'll be putting us out of business' critique at the end of a flight.John