Sign in to follow this  
Zack Millar

Blurring textures and colours appearing magically!

Hello all. I posted a wee while back in the CTD forum about problems with blurring textures, disappearing system text and CTDs, but I didn't have any screenshots to show what's going on. Unfortunately, I still don't have a screenshot to show the colours appearing, but this is a screenshot of the Wilco A319 with the disappearing text problem:Re the colours thing, it happened briefly last night when I was flying over open countryside in England. Basically, these rectangles or columns seem to randomly spawn from the ground and shoot up into the sky, not appearing to stop anywhere. They can be any colour in the spectrum, but usually browns, purples and greys, although it has been known to put up blues, yellows, etc.By the way, I'm running on Windows XP through Parallels Desktop 6.0 for Mac, which is giving XP 8GB of RAM, 2 CPU cores of the four on my i7 chip, 256MB of video cache and an automatically expanding hard drive. It should be more than enough to run FSX, right? If trying to run too high graphics, what graphics levels do you recommend for me?Thanks!

Zack you did'nt mention which gpu you have, anyways if you have an ati you need to see if 'MipMap detail level' in CCC is set to high qualitity for starters.bob

Zack you did'nt mention which gpu you have, anyways if you have an ati you need to see if 'MipMap detail level' in CCC is set to high qualitity for starters.bob
Bob - I'm running an ATI Radeon HD 5750 1GB (but as I say, Parallels is only able to give Windows XP 256MB of that). Can I ask what CCC is? Thanks.

Zack its the 'catalyst control center' the control manager for your gpu driver settings.see if its listed in your program list, if not you need to download the update driver from here.http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/index.aspxread the instructions re updating the drivers.when you open ccc there are some settiings you can change, just change the one i have mentioned so farbob

By the way, I'm running on Windows XP through Parallels Desktop 6.0 for Mac, which is giving XP 8GB of RAM, 2 CPU cores of the four on my i7 chip, 256MB of video cache and an automatically expanding hard drive. It should be more than enough to run FSX, right?
I run FSX on a Mac too ( Mac Pro 2009 model with 8 Xeon cores, ATI 4870 ), but I strongly suggest you to switch to Bootcamp instead, Parallels will never give you enough performances, especially on the video card. The issue is, the emulated video card under Parallels it's not "just" a reduced memory version of your real card, it's not an ATI 5870 anymore, but a lowly generic S3-like 3d accelerator.Also, if your XP it's 32 bit, you are wasting your 8GB, since FSX under XP 32 bit will never see more than 4GB MINUS the amount of memory used by all expansion cards.Under Bootcamp, instead, you'll run on a separate partition without any emulation, and Windows will be able to access to your full hardware, so you'll be able to install Windows 7 x64 natively, and your video card will perform to the max, natively with its proper drivers.Forget Parallels to run FSX on a Mac, it's very good to run MS Office or the like, but surely not FSX. Bootcamp and a separate Windows partition it's the way to go.I tried FSX under Parallels once, just out of curiosity, but FSX ran very slow (like 10 fps agains 60 fps under Bootcamp), and I had blurred textures all the way.

Try turning down autogen. Autogen can produce spikes if set too high.

you need to download the update driver from here.http://support.amd.c...ages/index.aspx
Onebob - thanks, I have downloaded the drivers package and we'll see what happens.
Try turning down autogen. Autogen can produce spikes if set too high.
GHD - thanks for the tip. I suppose that's step one for me.
I run FSX on a Mac too ( Mac Pro 2009 model with 8 Xeon cores, ATI 4870 ), but I strongly suggest you to switch to Bootcamp instead, Parallels will never give you enough performances, especially on the video card. The issue is, the emulated video card under Parallels it's "just" a reduced memory version of your real card, it's not an ATI 5870 anymore, but a lowly generic S3-like 3d accelerator.Also, if your XP it's 32 bit, you are wasting your 8GB, since FSX under XP 32 bit will never see more than 4GB MINUS the amount of memory used by all expansion cards.Under Bootcamp, instead, you'll run on a separate partition without any emulation, and Windows will be able to access to your full hardware, so you'll be able to install Windows 7 x64 natively, and your video card will perform to the max, natively with its proper drivers.Forget Parallels to run FSX on a Mac, it's very good to run MS Office or the like, but surely not FSX. Bootcamp and a separate Windows partition it's the way to go.I tried FSX under Parallels once, just out of curiosity, but FSX ran very slow (like 10 fps agains 60 fps under Bootcamp), and I had blurred textures all the way.
Virtuali - oh, I see! That probably explains why, when I upgraded my memory from 4GB to 16GB on the Mac and I put Parallels to 8GB, there was no noticeable performance increase in FSX anyway! Thanks very much for this - I will give Bootcamp a try. Bootcamp Assistant, here I come!!! Edited by Zack Millar