Sign in to follow this  
smokeyupahead

Boeing 737 ng...which class aircraft?

Actually, the standard flaps setting on approach is 30. 40 can be used but results in a lot more noise and fuel consumption (because more drag)Oh, and also there's a greater tendency to "balloon" since the attitude is much more nose up at flaps 40.

So on a standard approach/landing what flap settings are normally used ? Im using 30 at the moment but should I be using less ? Sorry to barge in.Andy Blake

The approach category is based on the maximum certificated landing weight of the aircraft. It does not change for a particular approach. A category C aircraft is always a category C aircraft regardless of the actual speed flown during the approach.For a circling approach it's a little different. Since the size of the protected area is based on the speed of the aircraft a category C aircraft flying a circling approach at a speed above 140 should use the category D minimums to ensure it remains within the protected airspace.That's why Jeppesen does not use the ABCD labels on the circling minimus but instead lists a max speed value in the minimums table.

The approach category is based on the maximum certificated landing weight of the aircraft. It does not change for a particular approach. A category C aircraft is always a category C aircraft regardless of the actual speed flown during the approach.For a circling approach it's a little different. Since the size of the protected area is based on the speed of the aircraft a category C aircraft flying a circling approach at a speed above 140 should use the category D minimums to ensure it remains within the protected airspace.That's why Jeppesen does not use the ABCD labels on the circling minimus but instead lists a max speed value in the minimums table.
...The answer I was looking for, now it has just become a little clearer to me! Thanks!

Because 757 is a narrow body jet.
I think that in the USA the 757 is sometimes considered to be a "Heavy" because it produces a lot of wake turbulence and therefore ATC have to increase spacing behind it as they would for a heavy.

Actually, the standard flaps setting on approach is 30. 40 can be used but results in a lot more noise and fuel consumption (because more drag)Oh, and also there's a greater tendency to "balloon" since the attitude is much more nose up at flaps 40.
Remember though, if visibility is marginal, you should use flap 40 anyways, not to lower the minimums, but because the lower pitch attitude increases forward visibility.... [At least that was the thinking back in 1989....]Capt. Rónán O Cadhain.

Rónán O Cadhain.

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

I think that in the USA the 757 is sometimes considered to be a "Heavy" because it produces a lot of wake turbulence and therefore ATC have to increase spacing behind it as they would for a heavy.
Only the 757-300 will have the HEAVY designation. As stated numerous times in this thread. The -200 is, however, treated like a heavy as you mentioned; for separation.We can go deeper and include the very few -200s that have "waivers" to exceed 255,000lbs. In which case obviously they can have the Heavy in their callsign.In review: -200s will not have heavy in their callsign. Edited by ZachLW

___________________________________________________________________________________

Zachary Waddell -- Caravan Driver --

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/zwaddell

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

Remember though, if visibility is marginal, you should use flap 40 anyways, not to lower the minimums, but because the lower pitch attitude increases forward visibility.... [At least that was the thinking back in 1989....]Capt. Rónán O Cadhain.
Good point, forgot about that.

Only the 757-300 will have the HEAVY designation. As stated numerous times in this thread. The -200 is, however, treated like a heavy as you mentioned; for separation.We can go deeper and include the very few -200s that have "waivers" to exceed 255,000lbs. In which case obviously they can have the Heavy in their callsign.In review: -200s will not have heavy in their callsign.
Thanks Zach for quoting me, but am not sure why you did. My point was about wake turbulence and separation, and I deliberately made no reference to whether Heavy is ever added to a 757 call sign. Therefore your last sentence does not apply to my post. Edited by Nixon