Sign in to follow this  
Ian McPhail

I apologise but I give up

No matter how much I try I cannot get my button allocations on my CH quadrant and my albeit temporary Logitech Extreme 3D to stick. I have to redo them at the beginning of every session as they revert to some unfathomable earlier settings.I have used Accept, Apply then Accept, exported the file to the standard XML in the Roaming/Controls Folder in both P3D and FSX. Yet each time it seems to read some other version, not even the original defaults.If this has been answered before, do not flame be, just gently point me to the solution. But I would greatly appreciate some assistance.

130 views but still no kindly advice. The allocations will not stick after I have made them in the Controller menu.

Hi Ian,I'm not certain, but this may be related to your problem. I do recall in the past with FSX, that controller mappings would change when USB devices were unplugged and then plugged in again. After much investigation it was determined that there was no solution to this as Windows allocates device values, which if it changes can render controllers useless or cause axis/buttons to control something other than that intended. If you are using several USB devices, I recommend using Pete Dowson's FSUIPC, it was the only solution to this problem. I have controllers disabled within Prepar3D and let FSUIPC do the rest. Make sure if you pursue this route, that in the FSUIPC.cfg file options the "AutoAssignLetters" under the "[JoyNames]" is set to "=Yes" or the re-mapping problem will persist. I have a registered version, so I'm not certain if this is enabled in the free use version. The cost is small but this utility has paid for it's self multiple times for me.

Cheers,

Cpt. Thad Wheeler

preview_prepar3dbarcode0.jpg?rev=0

Thank you HIghIron I will firstly try your suggestion not to plug and unplug USB devices. Otherwise I shall go the FSUIPC route.ohairus: I do that already so that is probably not the source of the error, but I have been fiddling with the USB devices as HighIron suggests.Sorry, ohsirus - no insult intended ... just finger trouble.

It still defeats me. There must be a step I have missed, or do I have to export the profile to the Controls standard xml, or what? Maybe I have a setting that I should alter but out of ignorance have not.The learning centre has nothing diagnostic, and the LM mods just have not responded at all to this one.

Now I think I got it from a post on the P3D forum: The dashed unstoppable crash on exit means it is suggested that all of the control configurations are lost. Damn and blast. I hope the LM devs make good on their promise to cure that bug.If anyone else has a fix that an amateur puter operator can manage, please tell us.

Ian,If you havent already, save your joystick configuration to a file before you exit P3d. Make sure P3d is running as administrator or turn off UAC in Windows. This problem happened to me once. I saved my config as a file and assumed P3d would keep forgetting my settings because after installing a bunch of addons I now get the crash on exit syndrom, but so far (knock on wood) it hasent lost my settings. I just have to be aware that when I exit, it will look like it exited fine and a 10 secs later say thats its re-starting P3d, in which case I click cancel.Rob

Now I think I got it from a post on the P3D forum: The dashed unstoppable crash on exit means it is suggested that all of the control configurations are lost. Damn and blast. I hope the LM devs make good on their promise to cure that bug.If anyone else has a fix that an amateur puter operator can manage, please tell us.
John has confirmed that the "crash on exit" has been fixed, and will be available whenever the next dot version is completed and released.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Fr Bill, is your statement ex sedele?Rob: you save your settings, but do you mind giving me a simple step by step. Because I export them to the P3D Control/XML and still nothing seems to fix.When I open the XMl file with editor, then I find that it refuses to accept my changes.

Ian, From the control settings menu, I click on "Buttons & Keys" Then set everything up that way you want it. Then click "Export Controls and give it a name in the field that pops up and save it. If you need to reload them, just click "Import Controls" and select tihe file you created and click OK. I think you can have multiple configurations.Just so I understand, your problem, when you exit P3d, and go back into it, are the settings not there again?Rob