Sign in to follow this  
mwilk

FSX performance not up to par (stutters)

Hello, Just recently, I installed my OS on a SSD. I didn't do a fresh install but I cloned my previous install to the new drive. I haven't had any problems to speak of other than having to reactivate a couple of addons. All of a sudden though I'm getting major stutters along with disk access. I've tried using process monitor to figure out exactly why the heavy drive access with no luck. I'm wondering if it has to do with something that might not have made the transfer when I cloned the drive. That being said, I'm probably looking at a full reinstall of FSX and all of my addons.(I've got a bunch) This is going to be a daunting task to be sure. Thankfully,I still have FS9 to use in the interim. Should I uninstall each individual addon or can I just reformat the FSX drive and reinstall from scratch. Also, would you recommend using FSX Acceleration or just the Service Packs. Any help would be appreciated.

NAX669.png

Adding the UsePools=0 for the BufferPools tweak seemed to smooth things out for me. Doesn't work for everyone though. Try it and see how it works.

Also, would you recommend using FSX Acceleration or just the Service Packs. Any help would be appreciated.
If you have Acceleration, there is no need to install SP2. It comes with it. Edited by magnetite

Jeff, I was using Bejote's config when it started. I deleted it and started fresh with no luck. It's as if FSX is looking for something.

NAX669.png

Adding the UsePools=0 for the BufferPools tweak seemed to smooth things out for me. Doesn't work for everyone though. Try it and see how it works.If you have Acceleration, there is no need to install SP2. It comes with it.
Bufferpools=0 will definetly cause stutters and artifacts on most systems.
Jeff, I was using Bejote's config when it started. I deleted it and started fresh with no luck. It's as if FSX is looking for something.
Good! The .cfg rarely contributes to stutters besides autogen settings. What are your Inspector settings? This issue seems to be a recurring theme here on the forums. Edited by ZachLW

___________________________________________________________________________________

Zachary Waddell -- Caravan Driver --

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/zwaddell

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

It's as if FSX is looking for something.
If it's looking for better code, Lockheed Martin has it. :( Edited by Arklight1

Ark

--------------------------

I9 9900K @ 5ghz / 32GB G.Skill (Samsung B) / Aorus Master Mobo / EVGA GTX 2080Ti FTW 3

What are your Inspector settings? This issue seems to be a recurring theme here on the forums.
Hi Zach, The strange thing is, my framerates are fine. There doesn't seem to be a drop in FPS that corresponds to the disk access and stutters. Here are a couple of screeens of my inspector settings.

NAX669.png

I'm betting your AA setting is causing these stutters. 8xS is aggressive. Bring the settings to 8xQ and 8x super sampling.I'm also betting you got your settings from Ryan's post. I'm going to shoot him a PM.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

Zach, I'll give your suggestion a try, but I've been using these settings for quite a while and it's only been recently that I've had this problem.

NAX669.png

You've got an awful lot of desktop icons which has been known to affect/degrade CPU performance. You might try saving your icons off to a safe place and run FSX with a cleaner desktop to see if that helps out. Worth a try.

Hello, Just recently, I installed my OS on a SSD. I didn't do a fresh install but I cloned my previous install to the new drive. I haven't had any problems to speak of other than having to reactivate a couple of addons. All of a sudden though I'm getting major stutters along with disk access. I've tried using process monitor to figure out exactly why the heavy drive access with no luck. I'm wondering if it has to do with something that might not have made the transfer when I cloned the drive. That being said, I'm probably looking at a full reinstall of FSX and all of my addons.(I've got a bunch) This is going to be a daunting task to be sure. Thankfully,I still have FS9 to use in the interim. Should I uninstall each individual addon or can I just reformat the FSX drive and reinstall from scratch. Also, would you recommend using FSX Acceleration or just the Service Packs. Any help would be appreciated.
You have almost the exact same system. Here's what I suggest:1) Check motherboard bios and update if necessary.2) Use the 275.33 driver with the latest settings. Change the driver version in Inspector so that the Inspector limiter works.3) Delete cfg (back it up first) Let FSX create a new on and only use these tweaks:[bufferPools]Poolsize=30000[GRAPHICS]HIGHMEMFIX=1Hope that helps.Jose

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

You have almost the exact same system. Here's what I suggest:1) Check motherboard bios and update if necessary.2) Use the 275.33 driver with the latest settings. Change the driver version in Inspector so that the Inspector limiter works.3) Delete cfg (back it up first) Let FSX create a new on and only use these tweaks:[bufferPools]Poolsize=30000[GRAPHICS]HIGHMEMFIX=1Hope that helps.Jose
Jose, I'm curious. Why do you recommend the older driver?Mike, try the different settings in Inspector first. I'd hate for you to solve the issue but not know exactly how you solved it. Edited by ZachLW

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

Zach, Tried the new settings but still the same stutters. I'm beginning to think that it may be something other than a pure graphics problem. I've tried new drivers, old drivers and different inspector settings. I can get stutters just sitting still at the end of the runway. I can't help but feel that this is somehow tied to the switch to the SSD. I'm half tempted to go back to my original mechanical hard drive just to see if that's the case. I left it as it was, so the registry should still be intact.

NAX669.png

Zach, Tried the new settings but still the same stutters. I'm beginning to think that it may be something other than a pure graphics problem. I've tried new drivers, old drivers and different inspector settings. I can get stutters just sitting still at the end of the runway. I can't help but feel that this is somehow tied to the switch to the SSD. I'm half tempted to go back to my original mechanical hard drive just to see if that's the case. I left it as it was, so the registry should still be intact.
You might need to start all over.
Jose, I'm curious. Why do you recommend the older driver?Mike, try the different settings in Inspector first. I'd hate for you to solve the issue but not know exactly how you solved it.
They seem to work wonders for most FSX users.

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

You might need to start all over.
Jose, I'm afraid you might be right. Like I stated before, I still have FS9, so I can take my time and put this back together carefully. Thanks for your help.

NAX669.png