Sign in to follow this  
ramrunner800

Noob Fuel Balancing

I feel like a fool, but I cannot for the life of me figure out how to balance my fuel while in flight. Can somebody please explain this to me, and where to find the appropriate switches in the cockpit? I would be greatly appreciative. At the momen I am listing heavily to the left on my way into KLAX blum.gif

The fuel lever is just below & to the right of pilots yoke. If you leave it in off it will equally pull from both tanks. Once you slide it to the L or R you will have to use your fuel gauges to know when to switch back & forth. Do not go back to off looking for "both" because it really means OFF now.

As the previous poster said, once you move the selector from the OFF position you have to manage the fuel for real - it gets real quiet if you return the selector to OFF.Pick a tank to start off on and fly on it until the FUEL IMBALANCE message is displayed on the center caution and warning panel. At that point you have reaced an imbalance of 10 gallons between the tanks (maximum allowed). Select the other tank and shortly the mesaage will go out. Fly on this tank until the message displays again. Continue alternating tanks as required. That's all there is to it really. If the tanks are not equal take off and land on the fullest tank.

Thank you guys, I really appreciate the fix. Now, I am a bit confused, because in flight when I selected off I lost the engine, as I would expect. Does the sim just assume that I want both and manage the fuel automatically as long as I leave it on off during start up? That doesn't seem particularly realistic.

Not very realistic, yes, but all my carenado add-ons feed from both tanks with the selector in 'off' at the time of loading! As said above, once you move it, off means OFF and an embarrasing whistle, beep then silence...Oh, remember to retard the power lever before flicking the fuel back on...... How high was that ITT? :(

I wish Carenado will correct this as it really is a nuisance.as teeboy said, it happens in a number of their last releases..

I was wondering why this was happening. Didnt make sense. By the way who beta tests these things? I've only purchased a few payare aircraft and all of them have problems that seem like they would be an easy fix. I don't know but I wonder why these things don't get resolved before release. Would it really take that long to fix a few extra issues?

I'm guessing they're making fuel simulation optional. If you want to do it like real world simply turn a tank on before you start. Oh, and don't forget to keep up with it.

I was wondering why this was happening. Didnt make sense.
The FSX default is "both" tanks...That is what you are seeing in most add-ons as a result.BTW, those addon vendors that have made changes to the fuel system have screwedup other airplanes I fly a lot as a result, so I actually prefer to stay within the FSXconventions even if it is slightly less realistic.

Bert

I guess it's just something to add to the checklist. Switch fuel level to fuller tank... I think it's on there already anyway.What screws me up is all the checklist items that I can't complete because it's not modeled. I find myself writing a new procedure or just crossing out the one written. Too bad

Sorry for digging out this old topic, but that is exactly the problem that I have. But what about the autofuel switch in the overhead panel? Does it have any function?

Autofuel switch is for the header tank. The Malibu Tprop conversion adds a header tank that feeds the Tprop, and holds about 11 gallons. The one in the overhead is for looks, but... on long flights, if you turn it off... behold... thy engine quits.

Left mouse click selects left tank, right click right tank.

For myself, I have a saved at base camp flight for the Malibu, and set up with the selector OFF, so that it runs on both tanks. The fuel burn is high enough that you'll be hitting that tank select allot in a flight... and that become a nuisance.