Sign in to follow this  
mas618

Terrain mesh for FSX

Hi people.What I'm looking for is to enhance my visual expericence of the terrain when flying.I only (almost) fly Europe in the NGX and particulary in the northern regions. I know of FS global, UTX and so on.Is there a product, that will enhance the looks of the terrain at a low FPS cost and also maybe only for the desired region (as suppose to buying terrain mesh for the whole world)? What are your experiences with the above mentioned products are the likes?Thx in advance,Mas(PS: I oughta let you know, that I'm days away from upgrading the i5 2500K @ 3,3 GHz to be OC to myabe 4, something. I run payware scenerys also - just to make your guestimation on FPS cost more precise)

Edited by mas618

Unfortunately you are kind of looking for the unicorn of the FSX world. Everything in FSX is a trade off. A more detailed mesh means that the processor and graphics card have more to render. Add a more detailed land class and that piles it on too. With UTX I know there is some tweak ability, but it comes at the cost of what is rendered. For examble, you can reduce the number of streams or roads which it will display.

Detailed mesh doesn't hurt the FPS very much actually. I have most of the world in FS Genesis's 10m product and I don't see any real hit on a modern system from it.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

FS Genesis here too with no fps hit

Chris Howard

@ all of you:Thx a bunch - much appreciated!I think I'll be looking into that FS Genesis - any experience on how it works with add-on airports from Aerosoft?Mas

Just went by FSG, and it appears that it does not cover Scandinavia (except Denmark), I just can't live without Norway and Sweden... Guess I'll have to look at UTX or FS Global then?@Branton:How large would you say the FPS trade off is (I know it's a hard one) on UTX?Mas

Hi George - yes I just realized that - thx anyways... The way I see it (and understand it) so is GEX. So if I want mesh for the whole of Scandinavia, I'm looking at FS Global 2010? How will that go with Aerosofts scenerys?Mas

I've added mesh for specific locations like KLAS where it makes a big difference arriving and departing, but never figured out how to enjoy the scenery from flight levels. My big complaint is how washed out the desert regions of the southwest look from the air and nothing resembling 'as real as it gets.' Any solutions?

Dan Downs KCRP

There is a Norway 38m Mesh that was for FS2004 that does work really well with FSX.http://www.flightsim.no/fsno/filbibliotek/FS2004/scenery/europa/norge/114.htmlThe file actually includes two mesh's - a 76 meter one and a 38 meter one.Just extracts the "quality.zip" file into a addonscenery/NorwayMesh/Scenery folder or something along those lines and activate it. There's also an updated landclass on that same site with some improved coastlines as well.

So does the mesh of FSG run alongside scenaries and no FPS hit? Wayne

http://fs2crew.com/banners/Banner_FS2Crew_MJC_Supporter.png

Wayne HART

I've added mesh for specific locations like KLAS where it makes a big difference arriving and departing, but never figured out how to enjoy the scenery from flight levels. My big complaint is how washed out the desert regions of the southwest look from the air and nothing resembling 'as real as it gets.' Any solutions?
That's the ground textures - I've been discussing this with Orbx's John Venema and I intend to help out when they do their Southwest USA FTX regions. No one has the look of the southwestern US right in any addon.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

I wish Orbx would do some English stuff!

Chris Howard

I wish Orbx would do some English stuff!
They're working on ORBX Great Britain already. http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/38871-orbx-expands-uk-development-team-announces-ftx-gb-series/