Sign in to follow this  
lensman

Easy install CPU cooler recommendation needed

Hi,My recently built gaming machine has strangely started overheating. Specs are in the signature. It had been running FSX in the 50C range, but after a complete reinstall of W7x64, FSX, and all my files, it runs FSX in the 70-85C range. Processor is i7-2600K, not overclocked. The case (Antec 900) has six fans, two 140 mm over the drive bays blowing in, one 140 mm on the side panel blowing in, one 200 mm on top blowing in, and two 140 mm (one on the PSU, one on the case) blowing out. There's also two fans on the Radeon 6950, blowing into the case, but the side fan blows cool air onto it. All are running as fast as they can. The stock Intel CPU cooler fan runs proportionally to the temp of the CPU. There were no hardware changes, no position-of-hardware changes, and no changes to the cabling. I'm not sure reversing the fans (to make a negative-pressure setup) would make any difference.The case does not have a cutout in the motherboard tray to install an aftermarket cooler. My vision is not that good, so I'd prefer to get a cooler that "plugs" into the board (ASUS P8X68-V-Pro) the way the stock cooler does. In looking at reviews, I've not seen a cooler that does that. I don't care whether it's air or liquid-cooled (although liquid sounds better at this point), I just need the part that contacts the CPU be of the "push-pin" Intel type.Any recommendations would be very welcome.Thanks in advance,dan "lensman19067" davison

Edited by lensman

There are no aftermarket coolers that use the same mounting method of Intel (because it's junk). However, have you tried re-seating the Intel stock cooler?Sine you've got that shiny 2600K (meaning I'd overclock it), I suggest biting the bullet and purchasing a good high end cooler like the DH-14, Phantek PH-TC14PE (you can choose colors!), or an H-series from Corsair. For that case I would have suggested one of the H-series Corsairs, but with the amount of fans you have the DH-14 or Phantek would be happy in there.On a side note, is noise an issue with all of those fans, or have you got a fan controller? I suggest ordering a fan controller along with your new cooler to help cable management and noise management. Anyone with over 3 fans should have a controller IMO. Just an idea!

Edited by ZachLW

___________________________________________________________________________________

Zachary Waddell -- Caravan Driver --

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/zwaddell

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

There are no aftermarket coolers that use the same mounting method of Intel (because it's junk). However, have you tried re-seating the Intel stock cooler?Sine you've got that shiny 2600K (meaning I'd overclock it), I suggest biting the bullet and purchasing a good high end cooler like the DH-14, Phantek PH-TC14PE (you can choose colors!), or an H-series from Corsair. For that case I would have suggested one of the H-series Corsairs, but with the amount of fans you have the DH-14 or Phantek would be happy in there.On a side note, is noise an issue with all of those fans, or have you got a fan controller? I suggest ordering a fan controller along with your new cooler to help cable management and noise management. Anyone with over 3 fans should have a controller IMO. Just an idea!
Thanks for the quick reply. I do intend to overclock the processor when I get the machine stable. You're right-that's why I went for the "K". I've not reseated the fan but that's worth a try. Those Intel/AMD connectors come loose but usually it happens when the machine is moved or bumped.I'll check out the coolers you mention although I dread having to take everything apart again.Oddly enough, I've never had a noise problem with the case. I've had a hissing sound in my ears since a stroke and infection about a year ago, and the machines that keep me breathing make enough background noise that I've never heard the fans in the case.Thanks again,dan

Thanks for the quick reply. I do intend to overclock the processor when I get the machine stable. You're right-that's why I went for the "K". I've not reseated the fan but that's worth a try. Those Intel/AMD connectors come loose but usually it happens when the machine is moved or bumped.I'll check out the coolers you mention although I dread having to take everything apart again.Oddly enough, I've never had a noise problem with the case. I've had a hissing sound in my ears since a stroke and infection about a year ago, and the machines that keep me breathing make enough background noise that I've never heard the fans in the case.Thanks again,dan
Join the club! Changing out a heat sink is one of the most laborious tasks with a system, followed closely by cable management and sleeving! Having a removable motherboard tray with a hole in the back for the mount is the best way to remedy the problem.And bless your heart. I'm sorry to hear about your medical complications.System building should be an escape, not work! Do task at your own pace and try to enjoy it. It is a hobby, after all! Though I guess we're all prone to turning a hobby into sweatshop labor. Edited by ZachLW

___________________________________________________________________________________

Zachary Waddell -- Caravan Driver --

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/zwaddell

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

You can see my spec's in my signature. I am also running an Antec 900 case with a Corsair H70 (earlier version of the H80), which I upgraded to from a Xigmatic Dark Knight air cooler. I've tried different fan arrangements and intake/exhaust setups. Here's the best I found for low temps.I replaced both the stock Corsair 3pin fans with Scythe KAMA-FLEX PWM 4 pin fans. These are both connected through a Gelid PWM Y Cable to the mobo CPU fan header. They are running as intake fans. The 200mm Big Boy top case fan is running exhaust on the high speed setting. I reconfigured my two front fan placements. I have one of the fan/HDD bays at the top position in the case. I have 3-HDD's in that bay and the fan is running as exhaust in the medium speed position. The external drive bay is in the middle bay position. The second fan/HDD bay is at the bottom. This bay is empty except for the fan which is running intake at medium speed.I am also running a small 40mm fan on my Northbridge heat sink and a Gelid HGA cooler on my GTX470. The lower case fan blows directly into the VGA cooler.After several different configurations, this one gives me the lowest temps for my rig. Depending on ambient (I'm in Florida), I run in the mid to high 30's at idle and in the mid to high 70's in OCCT stress and FSX full out.If you think about this setup, it gives me circulation from back to front/top at the top of the case. I have circ' from front to back and top at the bottom. Overall, it gives me a kind of clockwise circulation in my case.Noise has never been a problem for me.

Awesome advice. I think I'll go with either the H60 or the Antec 620 for cooling and rearrange fans as superglide17 suggests. Reviews of the H60 and 620 both say they are easy to install, and YouTube videos and the installation manuals both seem relatively straightforward.The stock cooler is indeed firmly mounted, so the high temps aren't due to one of the clips working loose.@superglide17: do you know where I'd find instructions on replacing the Big Boy fan? I have a replacement already, but cannot figure out how to get the current one out (has 2 broken blades). I found 2 screws and 2 clips by comparing to the replacement fan. I can get the left side up (as seen from the front), and sort of get the right side clip loose, but can't figure out where to go from there. It looks like the metal top has to come off, but if there's a way, I don't have the visual acuity to see it. I asked Antec tech support and didn't get an answer I could understand (although the reply came after the microstroke which affected mostly language processing).Again, thank you both *very* much for the advice. I really want to get this fixed, because Tuesday is chemo day. I need something relatively mindless to do late that day and the next. FSX missions, with a few changes, are perfect.dan

Take a look here for the case top removal: http://www.tomshardw...0mm-replacementOnce you get the screws loose. slide the entire top assembly forward and up. Watch out for the switch and plug assembly on the top. It's kinda light weight.Here's a mechanical drawing that might help: http://www.antec.com/pdf/drawings/900_manual_mechdrawing.pdf

Edited by superglide17