Sign in to follow this  
Dave71k

Auto Throttle on landing

Hey everyone,I was wondering if there is a way to get the auto throttles to go to idle at 50ft when landing? At the moment I have to jump for the autothrottle switch to turn them off them slam it to idle otherwise I end up drifting.I normally landing manually with autothrottles holding airspeed.ThanksDavid Kirk

I turn off the autopilot and autothrotle at 500 feet.. Even earlier for better conditions. I wouldn't idle at 50 feet, that's still too high. I always idle at 10 feet, so the plane doesn't lose that much airspeed on touchdown. Turning off autothrottle is on you, no program should do it for you. I also wouldn't keep autothrottle on for touchdown too, it doesn't know when to idle on most aircraft and you'll hit the ground extremely hard. Even some freeware wants to keep up the speed on touchdown so it'll go to 100% N1 which will never slow you down.

Edited by Feartheyankees

To quote the PMDG flight techniques manual 'The recommended approach and landing technique is to fly a visual aim point 1,500 feet down the runway. Reduce thrust to idle beginning at 50 feet, with the flare commencing at 30 feet. Fly the aircraft onto the runway surface and commence the rollout procedure.'Most aircraft have autothrottle to idle at landing in order for full autoland in poor weather conditions, also most modern aircraft have a FADEC (Full Authority Digital Electronic Control) system which fully controls the throttles from start to landing roll.I generally disengage autopilot at around 1500ft RA and fly the approach manually.Autothrottle uses the radio attitude sensor to idle the aircraft at the correct altitude above the runway.The Captain Sim 767 PW model, Quality Wings 757 and Feelthere ERJ series all feature this function so I was wonding if the PMDG 747 has this feature. I can land perfectly well without it but I'd like to know if it has it or not.

If you are in autoloand mode then the throttles will idle at the correct position.If you are hand flying then you should take out the autothrottle as well.Do it all automatically or all manually.