Sign in to follow this  
Todd2

Worth upgrading from maxed out FSX?

The vids I've seen of XPX so far: The urban areas look disappointing - the residential areas are laid out in an unrealistic manner and go right to the downtown buildings with no row houses, parks, etc. However the sky and water look fantastic. I was just flying in FSX with my fave aircraft the Constellation and thinking the urban areas looked nicer than the vids I've seen of XPX. Of course my FSX is maxed out. I'm wondering is it worth the purchase. I'd like the opinion of FSX fans that have tried XPX, I am downloading the demo right now. Also, do you think developers will jump on the XPX bandwagon since MS Flight is a just a game? This is what I'm thinking and this is why I'm considering purchasing the new X plane.Edit: Ok I just saw the downtown Seattle vid (XP10) on youtube and it looks pretty good with decent FPS. Now if only California Classics Connie can be used in XP10.

Edited by Todd2

If I hadn't already purchased it, from what I see and have right now, I wouldn't have bought it. Your doing the right thing, download the demo and try it. Will it get better, I sure hope so. It has some nice aspects to it, put was far from being a viable retail option. Meaning, it should never have been offered for sale, in it's current state.Glen

Edited by Muskoka

Gigabyte z590 UD - i5 11600k 4.9 GHz - 64gb 3600 MHz ram - RTX 3070 ti - multiple ssd - 34" 3440x1440 100 Hz Curved - Saitek Yoke Pedals Throttle Quadrant x2 - TM T16000m x2 Throttle - Win 11 Pro

If I hadn't already purchased it, from what I see and have right now, I wouldn't have bought it. Your doing the right thing, download the demo and try it. Will it get better, I sure hope so. It has some nice aspects to it, put was far from being a viable retail option. Meaning, it should never have been offered for sale, in it's current state.Glen
Thanks Glen this is the kind of response I was looking for! Hopefully 3rd party addons will make it much more viable and even the best at some point since MS has taken their current course and FSers are looking for better framerates, scenery etc. I'm conserned about what I've read about having to turn off AI and ATC in XPX also!

See what I mean, here's FSX maxed out I just took this. I would like improvements over this and XPX seems to be the only possible solution in the future so I've got my hopes in it.

For the time being, I have gone back to XP ver 9.7, as XPX is in need of some improvements (just stating the obvious). Like I said, it has the potential to be fantastic, it's just got a ways to go. As far as AI and ATC, it's all still really kind of buggy, hence my comment about not really being a viable retail option.I have to laugh a bit, I just responded to a post over at the Org, in a very similar manner, and my post was deleted. I guess they feel the need to hide the truth behind censorship, oh well, they can do whatever they like.Give the demo a good run, stay low, and don't set your settings too high. It really looks nice from a few thousand feet, with a bit of cloud, and maybe a setting sun.Glen

Edited by Muskoka

Gigabyte z590 UD - i5 11600k 4.9 GHz - 64gb 3600 MHz ram - RTX 3070 ti - multiple ssd - 34" 3440x1440 100 Hz Curved - Saitek Yoke Pedals Throttle Quadrant x2 - TM T16000m x2 Throttle - Win 11 Pro

I can confirm your impressions (XP10, 30-40 flying hours, switched from FSX+UTX+REX+GEX+TrafficX). Some nice things in XP10 and a lot of potential - but still a lot of problems and shortcomings too. In direct comparision between a good FSX-setup with some scenery and aircraft addons XP10 is still missing a lot. A "tuned" FSX today is the result of 6 years of developement AFTER initial release (and spending a lot of money and work) XP10 as it is now (and will be in the near future) simply can´t compete with that. But it probably will in 2 or 3 years as addons and bugfixes flow in...

I was in the same boat. Being a simmer for over 20 years, and having my FSX maxed out as well, I was intrigued by X10. I'd say the first thing you have to go into this with is, that it's a work in progress with great potential. My first encounter with the demo, and then my purchase of X10 was less than spectacular...but I wanted to give it due time until I made firm comments (I've now been flying X10 for a month or more.)I first was somewhat put back by the AI 747's taxiing around tiny airports, the tweaking of my Saitek X45 to get panning working, cities bare of tall buildings, mega airports void of any terminals/buildings, ATC challenges, the UI, etc. but have slowly been VERY happy (with WOW moments!) flying at night, and day as well. Once I became comfortable with autopilot and GPS, I've been tooling around urban and rural areas with much excitement. Night flying is amazing...a real treat and a challenge as the sky at night is much darker than FSX...with no seeing the horizon in most areas. Flying in mountainous areas is amazing as well. I'm not a real world pilot so I can't comment on flight dynamics, but many of the included aircraft seem jumpy perhaps.FSX is a comfort blanket for me...looks good, easy to navigate, airports have life, etc. But give X10 a chance...I assure you you'll find delight in some areas, as long as you take the time to play with it. Is it worth the $? That's up to you. For me though, it's fun to try something new with thoughts (and hopes) that growth will happen. You just have to give it time. I'll continue to fly both sims...for long haul commercial flights right now I still feel more comfortable with FSX (and for eye candy), but for GA flights I'm really liking X10. Good luck.Bob

The more one delays the purchase of a buggy and incomplete product, the more incentive Laminar has to produce an update that is worthy of being called a complete, finished, relatively bug-free product that Laminar IMPLIES.Laminar should deliver more than it promises and promise less than what it can deliver - TODAY - not a month, two months or six months from now !TODAY.WHAT IS LAMINAR'S ROADMAP AND TIMELINE FOR FIXING AND DELIVERING THE PRODUCT IT HYPED AND PROMISED ?

you guy's negativity has brought out our resident troll again

Edited by jasonX

I didn't want this question to turn negative. I think I will try XPX. I'm pretty happy with FSX with all the addons (maxed out) but it does have issues with FPS, but these disappeare when you gain altitude. I want to see a new flightsim succeed. MS obviously isn't going that direction with flight. I would like something like FSX but new that will take us all to the next level in realism. I just want to hear peoples opinions of course their are going to be some negative ones some will be let down. Just read the MS Flight forum plenty of negatives! Flight Sims should be supported or they will go away!

One more thing on a positive note, since MS is making a 'game' maybe all those addon's everyone loves for FSX, UTX, ORBX and the like will be made for X-plane. Wouldn't that be nice?

stuff
I have to ask....you wouldn't happen to still be writing to Sony regarding your Betamax?Big%20Grin.gifp.s. It occurs to me that I never "flew" after buying Air Jordan's either. Would you mind nagging Nike over that one on my behalf? Cheers!

AVSIM Staff Reviewer
Bush Is Good!
banTedG01.jpg

I am no FSX person, but maybe you take my advice, too: Wait for at least version 10.2.
So what is it about 10.2 that rings your bell? If you are a developer I would understand your statement.RegardsBob

So what is it about 10.2 that rings your bell? If you are a developer I would understand your statement.RegardsBob
That's just a basic tip for newcomers to X-Plane or people hesitant to experience the issues with early versions in general. That tip is based on what X-Plane oldtimers know from experience. Also we can expect to have some more serious performance tuning, less crashs and possibly some new features when .2 arrives.Especially the beta and RC-cycle can be very frustrating for people. If you know X-Plane, like me, that might not be such a big issue for you - like it isn't for me. That's fine. But anyone switching from a perfectly running FSX with tons of add-ons is good adviced to have a look at X-Plane 10 as soon as it is a more stable platform and some of the anticipated improvements are implemented.As far as "what developers think":
On the whole the IXEG team is underwhelmed with the state of XP10 so far
http://forums.x-pilo...dpost__p__31749It's just what hardcore users think, too: Too many issues now.Patience is the key. 10.2 sounds reasonable as an advice to newcomers.
don't confuse rationality with negativity. Edited by woweezowee