Sign in to follow this  
Buzz313th

RXP Ngauge Stec autopilot Install

Has anyone tried installing the RXP stec autopilot into the jetprop?I have the gauges, just curious if it would work well for a straight out replacement for the default stec autopilot?JB

I don't think you can make it fit - this is an all 3d modeled cockpit panel.And the FD/AP switch is also part of the model..

Bert

I guess I can look into it.To Carenado...Any chance you guys might consider updating the Jetprop to allow for swapout of the stec for the RXP stec like you guys have done with the GNS's?JB

I looked at it and didn't see any way to do it. The autopliot components do not appear in any of the panel windows, so they are part of the 3d model. I did manage to replace the transponder with the RXP GTX, but I didn't keep it. The RXP GTX face plate appeared a kind of shiny grey/silver compared to the black faceplates of the other instruments. The transponder functioned - it just didn't look that great. I think the ADF could be replaced too (maybe with one from the Friendly Panels kit) but I didn't try it on the PropJet. I have done it on other Carenado models.

I looked at it and didn't see any way to do it. The autopliot components do not appear in any of the panel windows, so they are part of the 3d model. I did manage to replace the transponder with the RXP GTX, but I didn't keep it. The RXP GTX face plate appeared a kind of shiny grey/silver compared to the black faceplates of the other instruments. The transponder functioned - it just didn't look that great. I think the ADF could be replaced too (maybe with one from the Friendly Panels kit) but I didn't try it on the PropJet. I have done it on other Carenado models.
I can only assume you also looked in the VC window? Or the VC panel entries?Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkJB Edited by Buzz313th

I did. There are autopilot entries in VCockpi03, but the gauges don't load correctly in FSPS so I can't see exactly what they are.Maybe I will try to swap the gauges and see what happens. The RXP autopliot would be more realistic for sure, but the Carenado one does work.

OK - I swapped them out and the RXP STEC does work, even with the existing panel FD/AP switch. The gauges fit fine, but the RXP sticks out in the stack because it is so much lighter in color than the rest of the avionics.If you want to try the ST55X replaces "Autopiloto", the ST645 repalces "Anum", and the ST360 replaces "Anum_APSEL", all on Window 10, VCockpit03.Wish the faceplate color matched better.

Sounds good will give it a try when I have time. So did you replace the flight director switch with the RXP one or not? If not does the carenado fd switch work correctly?Maybe the colors can be made darker.Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkJB

The flight director switch is the original; I dd not replace it with the RXP. It, and the yaw damper switch both seem to work fine.I am sure somone out there knows how to match the faceplate colors...

Great,I appreciate you doing this Marc.My Carenado 208 has the RXP 530, 430 all the T gauges and N Gauges with the stec autopilot and it is a blast to fly. As soon as I get a bit of time I will definately install the stec 55x into the Carenado Turbine Malibu.Hopefully I can get into the texture files and darken it up as well.Please keep us up to date on anything interesting you find regarding the install of the RXP stec into the malibu. I know the info will be helpfull to me and others in the future.JB

I think you may be facing bigger hurdles than the color of the faceplate..The 3d knobs have built in functionality and get in the way when you are adjusting values inthe AP preselector, for example..My sense is that we are better off living with the Carenado STEC AP which is not 100% likethe real thing, but pretty usable..

Bert

I think you may be facing bigger hurdles than the color of the faceplate..The 3d knobs have built in functionality and get in the way when you are adjusting values inthe AP preselector, for example..My sense is that we are better off living with the Carenado STEC AP which is not 100% likethe real thing, but pretty usable..
You may be right...We will see... :)JB

I had no problems adjusting the knob on either the AP preselector or the STEC itself. The RXP cursor looks like a small curved arrow when on the adjustment spot, while the Carenado cursor looks like a +/-, so it is easy to tell which clickspot your are mousing over with the cursor. At least it was for me - to each his own. The Carenado AP is just as functional as most other FS autopilots, within its limitations.If you like the fun (and/or frustration) of the STEC you might want to try it. If you've ever used it (and forgotten the DTA key for instance) you'll know what I'm talking about.