Sign in to follow this  
cgbart

Any Radeon HD7970 Owners Yet?

Would love to know how AA in clouds behaves on this badboy in FS9 and FSX. Hoping to hear some feedback soon!

Hoping For CAVU --- Chris

Would love to know how AA in clouds behaves on this badboy in FS9 and FSX. Hoping to hear some feedback soon!
Wondering too.... Although the full bandwith of PCIe3 will not be avaiable until Ivy Bridge hits the market.

Another interested potential buyer here, wondering if the 90% perf improvement seen in most benchmarks over my current 5870 will be felt in FSX, especially for the 5760x1080 potential.

--John near KPAE

I'm ready to take the plunge if the feedback is good. Been doing a lot of searching on the interent. Overall seems to be a plus but not enough info on people using it with FSX.

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU
Netgear 1Gbps modem & router, (3) 27" 1440 wrap-around displays
Full array of Saitek and GoFlight hardware for the cockpit

Another interested potential buyer here, wondering if the 90% perf improvement seen in most benchmarks over my current 5870 will be felt in FSX, especially for the 5760x1080 potential.
How does the 5870 perform in FSX? I already ordered one and it should be here next week.

How does the 5870 perform in FSX? I already ordered one and it should be here next week.
It actually does pretty well, you have to enable SuperSampling if you want to get rid of jaggies, but runs well for me at 1920x1080 with eyecandy turned up.I posted some Eyefinity comparisons here:http://forum.avsim.net/topic/360361-anyone-using-eyefinity-3-screens/page__view__findpost__p__2234743

--John near KPAE

It actually does pretty well, you have to enable SuperSampling if you want to get rid of jaggies, but runs well for me at 1920x1080 with eyecandy turned up.I posted some Eyefinity comparisons here:http://forum.avsim.n...ost__p__2234743
Remove the FPS locked @ 30FPS. I would really like to see how your system performs without it being limited. I am very eager to see how FPS is compared to my cruddy GTS 450.

Remove the FPS locked @ 30FPS. I would really like to see how your system performs without it being limited. I am very eager to see how FPS is compared to my cruddy GTS 450.
Sure, just keep in mind this is with my venotubo tweaked fsx and REX+UT2 etc... so just compare the results in context to the other settings.3 monitors at 1920x1080 framerate unlimited (left and right monitors are available for FSX windows like kneeboard or GPS)Frames, Time (ms), Min, Max, Avg12009, 300000, 27, 49, 40.030
3 monitors at 1920x1080 fullscreen (left and right monitors are available for FSX windows like kneeboard or GPS) 30FPS internal locked.Frames, Time (ms), Min, Max, Avg8958, 300000, 23, 31, 29.8603 monitors as one 4800x900 Eyefinity fullscreen 30 FPS internal locked.Frames, Time (ms), Min, Max, Avg7601, 300000, 14, 31, 25.3373 monitors as one 5760x1080 Eyefinity fullscreen window 30 FPS internal locked.Frames, Time (ms), Min, Max, Avg6123, 300000, 13, 27, 20.410
I think you will be pretty happy with the 5870, it's been an awesome card for me for 2.5 years, and I am mainly considering an upgrade to get 30+ FPS at 5760x1080 triple monitor. Edited by kludger

--John near KPAE

3 monitors at 1920x1080 framerate unlimited (left and right monitors are available for FSX windows like kneeboard or GPS)Frames, Time (ms), Min, Max, Avg12009, 300000, 27, 49, 40.030
Viola! That number is 3 FPS higher than what I got on FSMark11. I think I'll be holding on to my 5870 for a while. :Big Grin:And with all three displays plugged in I bet there might even be a slight reduction in FPS.Thank you very much!

Hi Everyone and thanks for your replies. I'm currently running a 5850 at 1680x1024 on a 22" monitor using the apps in my sig plus HDE2 clouds at their highest resolution. Other than AA in clouds, frames range from 30-50 but take a hit in clouds, as expected. I'm actually waiting for some 7950 feedback as well....early February is when the cards will be available. I've also been given DCS A-10 as a gift and will be running that on my new rig as soon as it's finished (2500K on a Z68 m/b with 8gig and Win7x64). My primary concern is AA on the ATI card. I could go to nVidia, but I also use the rig for photo/video editing, and ATI cards are the preferred for that type of work. I've used both in the past for their respective strengths!

Hoping For CAVU --- Chris

From everything I have read, these cards are going to thrash the Nvidia 500 series in gaming applications big time. What it can or can not do with FSX may be another story, but all things being equal, when linked to fast CPU and RAM it should be the champion, at least until Nvidia releases the 680 GTX.Kind regards,

I still can't help feeling we're all chasing our tails with these cards. I little bit like having a Ferrari and only being able to drive it on single track roads!

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

I still can't help feeling we're all chasing our tails with these cards. I little bit like having a Ferrari and only being able to drive it on single track roads!
You are certainly right there. I am going to wait to upgrade my video card from the 580 GTX until there is really very good reason to do so. I have spend thousands of dollars on a 8800 GTX, 9800 GTX, 275 GTX, 470 GTX, 480 GTX and a 580 GTX in just 2 or 3 years. When I think of all the CPU, RAM, MB, PSU changes, upgrades, and paraphernalia that went with them, I am disgusted with myself. It was fun at the time though, but no more until absolutely necessary!By the way, when did they say that Ivy Bridge and Kepler is coming? Big%20Grin.gif Kind regards,

680 GTX
As far as I know, I believe that Nvidia is skipping the GTX600 series.
By the way, when did they say that Ivy Bridge and Kepler is coming? Posted Image
I have heard that Kepler is due out in late Q1 2012 and Ivy Bridge looks like late Q2 2012.