Sign in to follow this  
briansommers

Different a/p for C185?

All I did was put the standard FSX Bendix King a/p in, but only in a 2D mode, so while in VC I have to hit shift+4 to get it. If you want I can PM you the modifications. It's not a great fix, like putting a new a/p in the VC (I'm definitely not that saavy), but none the less let me know.

I would, personally, like to replace the entire radio stack/autopilot with a slightly more modern unit...one of the defaults would be fine, but something that can be integrated into the VC as well, with a popup clickspot...I have never been that good at editing the panel files though...

I would, personally, like to replace the entire radio stack/autopilot with a slightly more modern unit...one of the defaults would be fine, but something that can be integrated into the VC as well, with a popup clickspot...I have never been that good at editing the panel files though...
Same here, sorry I can't help you

I know this is a post about the C185 - I'll try to make a long story short and relate it to that aircraft. I just rebuilt the Carenado C182 VC center panel as my first effort at rebuilding panels. I recently learned a lot about panel construction from Bert Pieke - either directly or from his different AVSIM answers to panel questions.The relation of this stuff to the C185 is this - I tried to use the same techniques I successfully used on the C182 mod (see jpeg attachment) on the C185 today. Surprisingly, the 185 didn't respond to the same commands at all. It would be easy to see why if I used an old and new Carenado aircraft, but as you guys know, both of these planes are older models in their line up.The command I learned to remove equipment is to type two forward slashes to "comment-out" certain lines from panel.cfg in Notepad. This technique is used to make room for the new equipment. I still haven't figured out why that technique didn't work on the 185. I was looking for that answer when I saw your posts this evening. I don't want to bug Bert again - he's a super nice guy, but I've pestered him enough, I'm sure. I'm trying to look it up myself.I'm still testing for bugs in the C182. So far it has performed really well. If I can figure out the problems with the 185, then I should be able to perform the same mod to it. The only problems are with the night lighting and another graphics problem with one of the popups. I'll share what I find out and develop with you all - no problem. Just following Bert's example - he sure has shared a lot of good info with folks on AVSIM and other forums. A good source of 185 info is Pappy Hickerson and Syd Weedon from our Eagle Valley Air VA.C ya,Mark Nault

I know this is a post about the C185 - I'll try to make a long story short and relate it to that aircraft.

I just rebuilt the Carenado C182 VC center panel as my first effort at rebuilding panels. I recently learned a lot about panel construction from Bert Pieke - either directly or from his different AVSIM answers to panel questions.

The relation of this stuff to the C185 is this - I tried to use the same techniques I successfully used on the C182 mod (see jpeg attachment) on the C185 today. Surprisingly, the 185 didn't respond to the same commands at all. It would be easy to see why if I used an old and new Carenado aircraft, but as you guys know, both of these planes are older models in their line up.

The command I learned to remove equipment is to type two forward slashes to "comment-out" certain lines from panel.cfg in Notepad. This technique is used to make room for the new equipment. I still haven't figured out why that technique didn't work on the 185. I was looking for that answer when I saw your posts this evening. I don't want to bug Bert again - he's a super nice guy, but I've pestered him enough, I'm sure. I'm trying to look it up myself.

I'm still testing for bugs in the C182. So far it has performed really well. If I can figure out the problems with the 185, then I should be able to perform the same mod to it. The only problems are with the night lighting and another graphics problem with one of the popups.

I'll share what I find out and develop with you all - no problem. Just following Bert's example - he sure has shared a lot of good info with folks on AVSIM and other forums. A good source of 185 info is Pappy Hickerson and Syd Weedon from our Eagle Valley Air VA.

C ya,

Mark Nault

Hello Mark and All ----- well, I just added the C185 to my hangar for my Alaska bush flying and had to try some enhancements to the center panel.

What I have done so far, is add the stock GNS430 in place of the COM1 unit, and replaced the original AP with the stock MS AP in its place. I fiddled around a bunch with positioning trying to optimize the unit sizes etc. I use both FS Panel Studio and manual tweaks in the panel.cfg file. I am still tinkering around trying to find a good way to replace the VOR1 gauge with a "crossed needle" version so I can ride an ILS with my 185s when necessary. Leaving the ADF is a must for me with Alaska flying since most radio nav up there for the low-and-slow flyers is done by ADF. Anyway to say HI :Big Grin: and let you guys know there are other 185 guys out here trying to spiff up our back-woods birds.....

Cheers --- Bob ---- :Big Grin:

Right now, I don't fly the 185 enough to fool with it. I was motivated to do so at one time, but the lack of realism (just MHO), in the MS or Orbx back country fields frustrates me.

There are too many bumps, humps, and ditches in both scenery versions. Neither he FAA nor the various State Airport Commissions would ever certify any air patch that had a topography like that. I'm all for a challenge - any similator gets boring really quick if there is no challenge, but I've found recently that some of the Orbx bush fields trashes a good challenge having an obstacle course of humps, etc. after tackling the challenge with an otherwise good landing.

It gets old - especially if you're being "scored" by a system like VAFS. I'm sticking to the little Mom and Pop airfields and the bush fields that I have checked out. I love Orbx' scenery for everything else that it does right - I just wish they had a way to control the items I mentioned. I'm not griping because an airfield is on an incline or anything like that. I'm talking about stuff that sends you airborne at 15 knots then on your side or noses you over for no good reason. I also don't blame the 185. It's a great aircraft. Any bush plane would have a problem with what I'm talking about.

C ya,

Mark

Thanks for your inputs,