Sign in to follow this  
spilok

I really love the Carenado P46T Malibu PropJet....but

I love this plane more than any other that I've downloaded in a long time. It's beautifully designed, has great sounds, and flies beautifully. However, I can't seem to get over 173 kts (approx) without going into overspeed. Why can I go faster in a simple prop GA than in this PropJet? Is this normal for this plane?Stan

On the real plane, this might be a certification based problem which I think was mentioned by the FDE dev. The real plane is reasonable fast and efficient at high flight levels, so the rw drivers may not notice this downside as much as the sim ones do as they take off and climb fast.If it's just about the overspeed warning flag, you could alter the aircraft.cfg setting which is in the [Reference Speeds] section and should read max_indicated_speed = xxx. I don't own her yet, so I can't help you in detail. But that's the setting triggering the warning if my mind doesn't trick me.Another 'I hope I'm right item' is the fact that the JetProp is a converted piston engine plane. So you already get some effects from the extra power and altered engine model. For example, I think I've read that the higher speed leads to a different pressure based force on the gear system, leading to an 'unsafe gear warning' if not corrected. The now higher cruise altitudes may also contribute to some changes being necessary when it comes to the temps in the cabin.I've found some texts on this.

The Malibu, for example, manages about 210 to 220 knots true airspeed up at about FL230 while consuming about 22 to 24 gallons per hour. It needs about 2,550 feet of take-off space to clear a 50-foot obstacle and climbs at about 1,200 fpm.The aircraft converted to the JetPROP DLX turns in between 250 and 270 knots true, can cruise as FL270, consumes about 30gph and needs 1,200 feet of runway to clear that same obstacle.
http://www.avbuyer.com/articles/detail.asp?Id=1585 Edited by CoolP

Humm, I also love this plane but I never noticed the overspeed issue. I thought I had it up to 185 kts. without a warning. I will give it another go and see what happens.OK just gave it at test. I get my first warning at 174 kts. and overspeed beeping at 180 kts. I didn't check the specs I thought this was incredible. I will read some more.

Edited by bwallis

Bryan Wallis aka "fltsimguy"

Maple Bay, British Columbia

Near CAM3

Thanks for the info. I tried tinkering with the "Reference Speeds" and increased the reference from 175 to 195 kts. When I tried the plane, it didn't make a difference in the speed warning. Still around 175 or so. I haven't had her up to FL230 yet. Just did some short hops.Also, wonder if there is a way to bring up True Ground Speed anywhere on the panel. I haven't been able to see that reading.Stan

Those FL200+ sound familiar for the turbine powered planes in that class. The rw folks aim for nice speeds plus low FF rates which only happen up high, while we sim flyers often stay low to watch that scenery. :( And you are right, that's where the rather low limit of those 175 kts IAS might prevent some fun if you were looking for low and fast. How about the Lancair for this chapter?Ground speed (GS) can be read on the GPS. I could think of the G500 panel also showing it though, so you may have three devices telling you that one. If you were looking for the TAS (True Air Speed), that's a GPS thing too, at least on the RXP units. Must be somewhere around that density altitude screen.

Edited by CoolP

I wanted to edit, but double posted. :blush:So I may add the Bronco for low and fast stuff.

Edited by CoolP

I bought the Carenado P46T and have been flying it quite a bit. The RW plane will go over its Vmo of 172 knots in level flight at lower altitudes (maybe up to FL190?). The P46T has been in a higher than average number of accidents because of pilots not keeping up with what the plane is doing. It is a converted piston and it was easier to certify by leaving the Vmo alone. The Piper Meridian (P46-500T) has a higher Vmo although the performance is about the same. What this means is that the plane must be flown at higher altitudes where 172 IAS means a far greater TAS. There is a pic on the internet of a RW P46T getting a 430 knot ground speed at FL280. It also means that the engine power and speeds have to be monitored carefully on climb and descent.Ben

I love this plane more than any other that I've downloaded in a long time. It's beautifully designed, has great sounds, and flies beautifully. However, I can't seem to get over 173 kts (approx) without going into overspeed. Why can I go faster in a simple prop GA than in this PropJet? Is this normal for this plane?Stan
The VNE of the P46T is 172 knts indicated. Why would you want it to go past VNE? This is a GA plane, it just happens to have a turbine engine on it. Eitherway, the red line (again, VNE) on the instrument is an absolute value you shouldn't go past.
True Ground Speed
There's no such thing. True airspeed is airspeed corrected for density altitude and temperature. Ground speed (read on the GPS) is self explanatory, of course. True airspeed at altitude will generally be higher than indicated (indicated is what you read on the instrument). Edited by ZachLW

___________________________________________________________________________________

Zachary Waddell -- Caravan Driver --

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/zwaddell

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

Also, wonder if there is a way to bring up True Ground Speed anywhere on the panel. I haven't been able to see that reading.
Ground speed is above the speed tape on the G500 and TAS is below the speed tape.

Stan, we often complain about airplanes not being "as real as it gets"..Well this is reality for this airplane - so why try to change it?You want to fly this airplane fast, go up to 20,000 feet +That is how it is flown in real life!

Edited by Bert Pieke

Bert

Guest jahman

Try the Adacalc free air calculator: 178 KIAS = 241 KTAS @ FL200 (ISA).Cheers,- jahman.

True airspeed is airspeed corrected for density altitude and temperature
Hey Zach,Considering your a CFI, I'm sure you meant to say, "True airspeed is airspeed corrected for Pressure altitude and temperature". Density altitude as you know, is corrected for both pressure and temp.I don't wanna sound like a jerk correcting you, but I figured you overlooked this (as it's easy to do) and Nate might appreciate the correct info to pass it on at a later date.:)JB

Hey Zach,Considering your a CFI, I'm sure you meant to say, "True airspeed is airspeed corrected for Pressure altitude and temperature". Density altitude as you know, is corrected for both pressure and temp.I don't wanna sound like a jerk correcting you, but I figured you overlooked this (as it's easy to do) and Nate might appreciate the correct info to pass it on at a later date.:)JB
Absolutely right. Thanks Jack. I'm prone to over looking things when typing and posting. :(

___________________________________________________________________________________

Zachary Waddell -- Caravan Driver --

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/zwaddell

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

Guest bstolle
The VNE of the P46T is 172 knts indicated. Why would you want it to go past VNE? This is a GA plane
Just for clarification, there's no Vne on the P46T. 172 is the Vmo