Sign in to follow this  
WR269

Systems - Did you know....

I have been doing a fair bit of studying of the "Animal"....and I am baffled by the systems in it.....I thought I would start a thread in which anything a person has found can be posted for the benefit and understanding of others....and thus make the flying of this beast even more enjoyable and challenging than it already is!Hydraulics - 3 Hydraulics systems, each powered by 2 engine driven pumps plus 2 Reversible Motor Pumps to provide alternate pressure should one system fail. These are all controlled by the Hydraulic System Controller, which will remain in Auto mode unless triple Hyd Failure occurs or 2 Hydraulic Systems fail as well as a Pump in the remaining system.Aircraft has a "Sioux City Valve"...in Hydraulic System 3....it shuts off flow, it is located in th rear pressure bulkhead...it ensures that total fluid loss on the System 3 is avoided, and retains control of Ailerons, Spoilers and Stab Trim.AFS - The Flap Limit Auto/OVRD system retracts flaps if the speed exceeds the limit for flap settings between 15 and 50 degrees at speeds greater than 175 knots. Flaps will return to selected position when speed is reduced to normal.

Great idea, Will. Unfortunately if I were to attempt to add my many own findings, I'm afraid I would most likely get beaten to death for forgetting the exact term and saying it incorrectly. I'll just say that I was and still am very immersed when running through the preflight and watching each system as I do it. So when I am doing the electrical tests, monitoring on the electricle screen, when doing the hydraulic tests, monitoring their respective screens, and of course when starting the engines and monitoring all sorts of things, like the Air systems and how the automation is actually working in turning off packs and getting the air consolodated for engine start. I've been out of the cockpit for a while so it's hard to even scratch the surface, but it's just a great bird and the systems are top notch. Hopefully people will do as you're asking and I can use this page to later reference when I get back to it.

i9 10920x @ 4.8 ~ MSI Creator x299 ~ 256 Gb 3600 G.Skill Trident Z Royal ~ EVGA RTX 3090ti ~ Sim drive = M.2  2-TB ~ OS drive = M.2 is 512-gb ~ 5 other Samsung Pro/Evo mix SSD's ~ EVGA 1600w ~ Win 10 Pro

Dan Prunier

Spoilers - There are 5 panels in each wing....each panel is individually powered by one of the three hydraulic systems. When used in flight as a turning aid, the system will extend all 5 to a maximum of 60 degrees. When used as a speedbrake in flight, the system will extend to a maximum of 30 degrees. When used to slow down after landing, the system will extend all (provided all 3 HYD systems are running) to 60 degrees.On takeoff, if the spoilers are armed, they will automatically deploy on RTO. On landing, on main wheel touchdown the spoilers will extend to the 2/3 mark. on nose gear compression, the handle will move to ground extension and spoilers will fully deploy.

Great idea, Will.Unfortunately if I were to attempt to add my many own findings, I'm afraid I would most likely get beaten to death for forgetting the exact term and saying it incorrectly. I'll just say that I was and still am very immersed when running through the preflight and watching each system as I do it. So when I am doing the electrical tests, monitoring on the electricle screen, when doing the hydraulic tests, monitoring their respective screens, and of course when starting the engines and monitoring all sorts of things, like the Air systems and how the automation is actually working in turning off packs and getting the air consolodated for engine start. I've been out of the cockpit for a while so it's hard to even scratch the surface, but it's just a great bird and the systems are top notch. Hopefully people will do as you're asking and I can use this page to later reference when I get back to it.
I know what you mean Dan, I know I am risking it, but my response when the beating comes is, at least I am giving something and giving it a go....I am like you, absolutely love the realistic feel of it...that's why we love this hobby!

LSAS - A system designed to help flight in the MD-11 due to the many modifications in original design. It operates through control of the elevators and is inhibited when Autopilot is on. It assists in Pitch overcontrol, lowering the nose at an acceptable rate in landing, and generally requiring very little force on the controls to achieve changes in pitch.