Sign in to follow this  
Capt Pugwash

Should I buy Thrustmaster Warthog for NGX

Guys, I have had CH yoke,Saitek x52 and currently x65f but still hanker after the Thrustmaster Warthog (I don,t like flying with a yoke and I struggle with no joystick movement on the Saitek X65f)So this weekend I will bite the bullet and buy the Warthog Hotas and hopefully put an end to my flight control saga.Before I rush out and spend a bundle on the warthog, can I ask if anyone who is flying the NGX with the Thrustmaster warthog is having any problems/issues with it? Or is it the best stick and dual throttle arrangement currently out there?Also has anybody got a Warthog profile they could let me have for the NGX/FSX?Any advice before I go get it this week end is much appreciated...Sure is a lot of dosh to make another mistake with!

Rgds, Shaun

Before I rush out and spend a bundle on the warthog, can I ask if anyone who is flying the NGX with the Thrustmaster warthog is having any problems/issues with it? Or is it the best stick and dual throttle arrangement currently out there?
No problems whatsoever!! The Warthog is absolutely awesome!You won't be dissapointed with the Warthog! It's great!Regarding the profile: sorry. I use the mapping in FSUIPC.

Guys, I have had CH yoke,Saitek x52 and currently x65f but still hanker after the Thrustmaster Warthog (I don,t like flying with a yoke and I struggle with no joystick movement on the Saitek X65f)So this weekend I will bite the bullet and buy the Warthog Hotas and hopefully put an end to my flight control saga.Before I rush out and spend a bundle on the warthog, can I ask if anyone who is flying the NGX with the Thrustmaster warthog is having any problems/issues with it? Or is it the best stick and dual throttle arrangement currently out there?Also has anybody got a Warthog profile they could let me have for the NGX/FSX?Any advice before I go get it this week end is much appreciated...Sure is a lot of dosh to make another mistake with!
Hey Shaun, I'm with Lukas on this one. If you want to fly with a stick, then IMO there is simply no argument, no discussion, no question whatsoever about the best stick on the market, bar none!! The Warthog quite simply is awesome, I think no more needs to be said, except....When I first got my hands on the Warthog, I was mainly flying GA, so the stick didn't feel too much out of place, however, now that 50% of my time is spent flying the NGX, I really want to get my hands on a good yoke. However, here is the anguish... IMO there is no yoke on the market that comes anywhere near the strong, well designed, product detail of the Warthog.. unless you want to buy some of the alloy Yokes that are twice the price, and more, of the Warthog! Sure you can buy a CH or Saitek yoke, but to be honest, I prefer to have my hands around the neck of a beautifully engineered alloy stick than use a plastic copy of something it's trying to emulate. No offence meant to the thousands of guys with these yokes, they are very popular, but for me it was a no brainer.Flying the NGX with a yoke, isn't that much of a deal anyway, unless of course you fly the entire flight manually and then it's not that suitable. But to be honest, as soon as you take off and kick in AP, I don't touch the controller until a couple of miles out on my final approach.One thing to remember though, unlike the Saitek yokes, the Warthog DOES NOT have twist grip, so in GA you will definitely have to consider some rudder pedals. As for the NGX, and it's only my opinion, but I think it's preferable to fly with autorudder anyway. I hope you find our replies helpful Shaun :(

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

Hey Shaun, I'm with Lukas on this one. If you want to fly with a stick, then IMO there is simply no argument, no discussion, no question whatsoever about the best stick on the market, bar none!! The Warthog quite simply is awesome, I think no more needs to be said, except....When I first got my hands on the Warthog, I was mainly flying GA, so the stick didn't feel too much out of place, however, now that 50% of my time is spent flying the NGX, I really want to get my hands on a good yoke. However, here is the anguish... IMO there is no yoke on the market that comes anywhere near the strong, well designed, product detail of the Warthog.. unless you want to buy some of the alloy Yokes that are twice the price, and more, of the Warthog! Sure you can buy a CH or Saitek yoke, but to be honest, I prefer to have my hands around the neck of a beautifully engineered alloy stick than use a plastic copy of something it's trying to emulate. No offence meant to the thousands of guys with these yokes, they are very popular, but for me it was a no brainer.Flying the NGX with a yoke, isn't that much of a deal anyway, unless of course you fly the entire flight manually and then it's not that suitable. But to be honest, as soon as you take off and kick in AP, I don't touch the controller until a couple of miles out on my final approach.One thing to remember though, unlike the Saitek yokes, the Warthog DOES NOT have twist grip, so in GA you will definitely have to consider some rudder pedals. As for the NGX, and it's only my opinion, but I think it's preferable to fly with autorudder anyway. I hope you find our replies helpful Shaun :(
Howard, you had me hooked, I drove up to flightstore today in not so sunny Yorkshire (perk of running my own business!) and had the guys get one out the box for me to examine, after approx 20 seconds..I told them to not bother wrapping it! (good lads up there, very helpful)Well I got it home rather speedily and have it set up and configured through fsx settings (piece of cake)I have the Saitek pro flight combat pedal which are solid and well spaced apart.Got to say you where spot on...the Wife has just told me if I say "feel the quality of my joystick" one more time, I am in the dog house! :-)But ******* this takes it up another notch...I have to say it really is all that I hoped it would beI have a "member no" plate on the front of the throttle 06501 is this the build number?I am currently doing touch and go,s in the NGX at East Mids in preperation for UK2000EGNX (hopefully released tomorrow)Also this is perfect for my 3 favourite twins...NGX, Aerosoft Bronco and taking my Duke into ORBX countryMany thanks guys for the feedback...well worth the dosh!

Rgds, Shaun

the most solid and precise stick ive ever owned!. The stick itself is wonderfull and has lots of weight to it. Just remeber to update to the latest firmware if its not already done. It fixes some power on/off issues that where present when they hit the market.

Many thanks guys for the feedback...well worth the dosh!
Glad to be of service :)And, almost daren't say it: Told ya! ;)

Guys, I have it setup very nicely for the NGX, even got the reverse thrust sussed on the throttles.I have to say the Hotas Warthog really suits the NGX perfectly if you are a "stick flyer"Only point of concern so far is I just tried it with the twin props (carenado 337 & Bronco) and wondered what you guys assign the prop and mixture to on it?On the whole.....I am most chuffed chaps!

Rgds, Shaun

Guys, I have it setup very nicely for the NGX, even got the reverse thrust sussed on the throttles.I have to say the Hotas Warthog really suits the NGX perfectly if you are a "stick flyer"Only point of concern so far is I just tried it with the twin props (carenado 337 & Bronco) and wondered what you guys assign the prop and mixture to on it?On the whole.....I am most chuffed chaps!
Hi matey, pleased you're pleased. One thing I thought I'd mention, the tension on the actual movement of the stick is very strong, due to a masive spring inside the body wall itself. If you find it not to your liking, let me know and I'll reply with a link and a tweak on how to change the spring. You may well be happy with it which is fine, just thought I'd mention it.As for assigning prop pitch and mixture, I have these two assigned through FSUIPC to the two bottom, square switches on the right side of the throttle. The bottom one, which is red I have assigned to mixture and the one above it, the grey switch, I have for prop pitch. It works a treat. I don't think guys with plastic yokes realise just what a flexible piece of kit this Warthog is! I have 12 Ezdok camera views all assigned to the throttle and stick, each one within a thumb or finger's reach!! Simply awesome!! :(

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke

Rockliffe, Can I ask you just one question? Do they use a joystick to fly the real 737NG?I use the Saitek Pro Flight Yoke complete with Pro pedals and the feeling is real. What is nice too is the fact you can use extra throttles for the 2 engine controls that come with the yoke so, all in all Great value and immersion is total.Bear in mind that the CH is 'toffee ashtray' compared to the Saitek. I expect this posting is now too late though?

Dave Taylor gb.png

Rockliffe, Can I ask you just one question? Do they use a joystick to fly the real 737NG?I use the Saitek Pro Flight Yoke complete with Pro pedals and the feeling is real. What is nice too is the fact you can use extra throttles for the 2 engine controls that come with the yoke so, all in all Great value and immersion is total.Bear in mind that the CH is 'toffee ashtray' compared to the Saitek. I expect this posting is now too late though?
Sorry G7USL but I have to agree with Rockliffe on this one, I have had a ch yoke in the past and it was not easy to get on with and the saitek yoke is pretty much the same aniamal, also feels a bit cheap & nasty.When simming, we all have to find what works around our favourite simulations and desks, and at the end of the day "total immersion" in this hobby is a "state of mind" unless you have a level D simulator tucked away in your garage!I also seem to remember reading that Capt Randazzo also uses a Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog stick!!! (surely this is enough of an endorsement for a product to fly the NGX with)Anyhow...I love this Warthog Hotas and have a lot more control on my finals than I have ever had before, my landings have been far more manageable with this baby.I guess the yoke and stick brigades will continue to be at loggerheads over what is right to fly the NGX with for ever and a day.Out of interest...if PMDG did an Airbus would you use your Saitek yoke to fly it?

Rgds, Shaun

When my original X52 wore out I got the X52 Pro and returned it within the 7 days permitted - while it was good it was not a step up. So I ordered the X65 and am pretty happy with it. I've had good experience with Saitek over the years. I wish I could have tried the Wart Hog. Here in Winnipeg the odds of finding one are pretty remote.

Guess I'm the minority I used the Logitech G940 as I couldn't imagine a joystick without ForceFeedback before purchasing Saitek's Yoke Combo and only break out the G940 now when I'm flying the Superbug or some FreeSpace2.

Guess I'm the minority I used the Logitech G940 as I couldn't imagine a joystick without ForceFeedback before purchasing Saitek's Yoke Combo and only break out the G940 now when I'm flying the Superbug or some FreeSpace2.
I think force feedback is also very useful,I guess you feel shudders when close to stalling etc...I have a butt kicker for extra immersion, but I think it vibrates too often dependant on what sounds it picks up on, I guess the vibration from the butt kicker and a warthog Hotas with force feedback would be a nice situation, would be great if Thrustmaster could integrate FFB into the "hog stick"

Rgds, Shaun

Howard, you had me hooked, I drove up to flightstore today in not so sunny Yorkshire (perk of running my own business!) and had the guys get one out the box for me to examine, after approx 20 seconds..I told them to not bother wrapping it! (good lads up there, very helpful)Well I got it home rather speedily and have it set up and configured through fsx settings (piece of cake)I have the Saitek pro flight combat pedal which are solid and well spaced apart.Got to say you where spot on...the Wife has just told me if I say "feel the quality of my joystick" one more time, I am in the dog house! :-)But ******* this takes it up another notch...I have to say it really is all that I hoped it would beI have a "member no" plate on the front of the throttle 06501 is this the build number?I am currently doing touch and go,s in the NGX at East Mids in preperation for UK2000EGNX (hopefully released tomorrow)Also this is perfect for my 3 favourite twins...NGX, Aerosoft Bronco and taking my Duke into ORBX countryMany thanks guys for the feedback...well worth the dosh!
small world, the flightstore is 2minutes drive from where I live! :D

Alex Ridge

Join Fswakevortex here! YOUTUBE and FACEBOOK

small world, the flightstore is 2minutes drive from where I live! :D
You lucky sod! :(

Howard