Sign in to follow this  
VPA481

Entering coordinates

Hi everyone,I use to have a look at this thread to enter coordinates for routes using NATs and PACOTs.But for the first time the other day, I had to fly to an airport, missing in the AIRAC.This airport is SCAS, coordinates are S45°2359.99 W72°3959.99What I did, following the advice of a real pilot, is putting another airport as arrival, but entering the coordinates of the real airport as a waypoint, so the FMC would drive me to destination (I did actually a Yankee flight).The above mentioned link gives a way to enter coordinates that are not fine tuned enough for this kind of flight, so I did put a 4 figures 1 letter (4572W) waypoint and arrived some nm far from the destination....What would have been the way to enter the exact location as a waypoint, ie all the coordinates in the FMC ?Thanks in advance

You could go into the nav data page and create a temporary waypoint. I think the steps are:INIT REF-NAV DATAThen create a name for your airport. Arpt1, eg. Then it will ask for the coordinates. You can then enter that fix into your route.

Matt Cee

Thanks Matt, didn't know that.What about entering a fix that is not an airport ? What is the correct way to type the coordinates ? S4523.6W7239.6 ?

You would be creating a temporary waypoint, so the box doesn't care if it's over an airport or a farm or the corner bar. The format would be in DD MM.M ie degrees, minutes and tenths of minutes. Not seconds. Make a name for your waypoint and the FMC will prompt you for the lat long. Start with S then the coords.

Matt Cee

The FMC should also take the format of Nddmm.mEdddmm.m directly into LEGS page.

HiA little bump :I was neither unable to find the INIT REF-NAV DATA page to create a waypoint nor enter such coordinates in leg page according to Fabo's suggestion.So I'm still need of you help,Thanks gentlemen !

Hi,I sent a ticket to PMDG in orer to have an answer. As usual, I had a quick answer, but this time it was surprisingly a RTFM-one. Actually they gave me the direction to page 239 of FCOM-1.I tried to reproduce:-the first way: creating a waypoint in INIT REF / DATA on ground: it does'nt ask for LAT and LONG after naming it.- the second way: entering LONG and LAT in legs. It works well when I try with the FCOM example (a North one), it doesn't for my example ( a south one)So no go on both ways for me: did someone manage to use that ?