Sign in to follow this  
trevorbee

Flight will be good

I am optimistic about ‘Flight’.I think that it has the potential to take everything to do with armchair flying to a totally new level. Both as a game, which can have various levels of complexity, and as a simulation which also can have various levels of complexity. It seems to me that when there is the opportunity to make revenue by expanding a core product in any direction required by the user base then the possibilities are endless.Having said that, I am totally sympathetic to everyone who has expressed disappointment that there will not be a FS11. However, it is also not too hard to understand that the ‘Flight’ marketing model has the potential to provide Microsoft with a very lucrative revenue stream, over a number of years, rather than a one-off sale. But, there again, I am also totally bemused by their marketing strategy. It appears to be either totally inept or too smart by half.I do not have the Beta version and my only information regarding ‘Flight’ is what Microsoft has published on the web site. But common sense says that a game involving flying through hoops in Hawaii will only have limited appeal, and a very short life span. I think that Microsoft is a bit smarter than that.Am i in cloud cookoo land or what?

No. Flight might be great, bus as you say, it's not going to be FS11 - which is what many fans want. To me it's not all about the flying. I like to be entertained and I welcome missions and hoepfully career modes.But what I don't want is having to fly in Hawaii or whatever other regions Microsoft develops. I want to fly from my home airport, and coming from a remote area in the world, freeware has always been the only way to reproduce that region. The greatest thing about FS was the ability to travel anywhere in the world and feel like you had been there. The environmentally friendly way to travel!

Edited by simmerhead

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

potential to provide Microsoft with a very lucrative revenue stream
I am not so certain that Flight will accomplish that. Most users-- the ones MS is targeting, are the casual players. Most of them will just have a passing interest in aviation, so what is the incentive to buy and download a Citabria or Cub for example when they have a Stearman? People who are not aviation fanatics could care less between the difference of an Airbus or Boeing. They categorize airplanes as "Jets" or "old propeller planes". Plus casual players are very finicky and move from game to game quickly. Look at what happened to so many of the Facebook games. People were tired of the microtransactions, as well as social aspects of the game, so titles that were super successful like Farmville have taken a membership hit. DLC can be successful, but only for the most compelling of games-- games like Fallout, Skyrim, Call of Duty or Battlefield 3-- not an arcade flight game. Edited by dighost

I still have hope for Flight...my main thing is frame rates...I hope Flight fixes this, as usually FSX runs great but when I go to someplace super intensive my frame rates plummet. Last night I was flying around Paris at dawn with track-ir, ase 2012 and the Carenado grand caravan....and I got down to 6 fps :( All of the city lights and buildings and clouds and sky colors...a beautiful slide show it was! :(

Flight is not JUST for casual gamers.Trust me on this: there's more to Flight than what has been promoted (or leaked) so far. Some of the "more" is part of the core sim (the free part), but most (and this is a guess on my part) will come later as DLC.Flight will not initially be a replacement for FSX, and it may never get to that point. But it does certainly have the potential. This will all (in my opinion again) depend on how well it does .... as in, how well the DLC sells. If Flight's DLC does not sell, Flight will not last long, as MS isn't going to keep developing it for free. But if the DLC takes off, then there's a ton of potential, and I see no reason why it cannot effectively replace FSX.

~ Arwen ~

Home Airfield: KHIE

I look forward for MS FLIGHT as well. As a long time simmer I have always defended the idea of a flight simulation with limited add-on aircraft and scenery areas provided they're developed with accuracy (as far as possible) in mind. I have long uninstalled MSFSX, from time to time I try xplane, flight gear, and very recently I became rather interested in Aerofly FS (it reminded me of when Flight-Unlimited was released in 1995).In RL I fly gliders, so, whenever these days I use a sim it is Condorsoaring. I look forward for PSX (Aerowinx), but, from the media already available for FLIGHT I really believe it will certainly look great. I believe the platform behind FLIGHT will be derived from ESP, which is after all a sound basis for good work.I'd rather prefer to have just a few airplanes to fly, and scenery areas, with good detail, smooth for even not up-to-date machines, than going through the pain of tweaking MSFS, buying hundreds of add-ons and having to manage their install, compatibility, etc...I look forward for MS FLIGHT!!!

Edited by jcomm

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since October 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Most users-- the ones MS is targeting, are the casual players. Most of them will just have a passing interest in aviation, so what is the incentive to buy and download a Citabria or Cub for example when they have a Stearman?
I would think that the target market is new users, who are interested in aviation.. just like we were when wefirst started with FS1, or 98, or 2002 or whatever..

Bert

I don't know whether I really passed through the first four stages (denial, anger/resentment, bargaining, depression), but I'm definitely into an acceptance that Flight will have a following of its own.Lots of eye candy and some plausible reality. The new folks will be excited (why not!), while some of the flight sim elders will lament (but will follow with great interest its success or failure). I'm going to give it a try.[footnote - I guess there was never any real bargaining stage with MS. :( ]

Edited by sweetmusic

I would think that the target market is new users, who are interested in aviation.. just like we were when wefirst started with FS1, or 98, or 2002 or whatever..
You have a good point there. I never thought of that one...

I have no doubt Flight will be great, especially for new sim pilots. And after a dozen or two add-ons at $40 to $50 each, it may actually approach FSX out-of-the-box functionality.After reading about Flight's piece-meal Microsoft Live sales approach, I decided to buy the increasingly reliable and functional X-Plane 10. For the ONE-TIME price of $79 I got the full functionality of FSX (i.e. world-wide scenery, thousands of airports, mutliple default planes, full support of third party developers) with the added capabilities of state-of-the-art graphics (the lighting is fantastic) and the ability to fully utilize multi-core CPUs. And I can buy additional planes, scenery, etc direct from the rapidly growing list of X-plane developers without paying Microsoft's huge markup that I'm sure they'll add to everything sold through their Flight store.

Edited by Larry Johnson

after a dozen or two add-ons at $40 to $50 each, it may actually approach FSX out-of-the-box functionality.
Wow, I had no idea Flight was going to be priced at $1,200 - that's great info - thank you for sharing, I'll have to take a look at X10. . .[sarcasm off]

I have no doubt Flight will be great, especially for new sim pilots. And after a dozen or two add-ons at $40 to $50 each, it may actually approach FSX out-of-the-box functionality.
We don't know how much Flight's DLC will cost, or all that they will cover yet ... so where are you coming up with those amounts?I have X-Plane 9 and I tried the X-Plane 10 demo, and was quite disappointed with it's "plausible world, which wasn't all the plausible to me (with bridges to nowhere, and repeating buildings, grass textures on roadways, and 2D trees), in time it might be worth the upgrade, once the airport get some buildings and NYC looks different from LA (building wise). It was released way too early in my opinion. And I have FSX, with a bunch of addons.The very first flightsim that I'm going to install on my new PC will be Flight. Edited by Arwen

~ Arwen ~

Home Airfield: KHIE

We don't know how much Flight's DLC will cost, or all that they will cover yet ... so where are you coming up with those amounts?
If Manhattan X scenery for FS9 sells for $30 today, do you think Flight will sell the state of New York scenery for less than $40??? If PMDG sells their 737 NGX for $70, do you see Microsoft selling their commercial jets for less than that? What do you think Microsoft will charge for the ATC add-on?I have no doubt that Microsoft executives have looked at what add-ons are selling for today for FS9/FSX and adding MANY dollars to that for the "superior" Flight versions. Why do you think they're giving away Flight for FREE????? I've bought many expensive things that were "FREE" up front. But there was always somebody behind the scenes that had already figured out how to get my money at the next stage of the product.

Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.