Sign in to follow this  
trevorbee

Flight will be good

Here's the dichotomy...Microsoft has stated to it's invited insiders that it expected a poor reaction, and it has stated an intent to provide a game for those with lower hardware resources, and a mouse. That's a new group.Microsoft has a loyal more sophisticated customer base, who develop freeware for the good of the hobby, and who spend a lot of money on their's (MS) and other third party products..Both are money making pools of people. Why not support both in the production of Flight for beginners and FX11 for the existing base and others that grow into the genuine big boy. Face it, there will never be an MS big boy again without the incorportation of an open architechure, and third party people including freeware developers.Frankly, I am surprised at website providers who also depended on third party people for a good part of their income, and freeware developers for hit count, embracing this complete cut-off like they apparently have. I personally would be shuttling this off to a new Game forum area along with the rest of the lesser major categories, while keeping the complete simulators in the Flight Simulation area.... and together. Sometimes it's time to move on when slapped in the face ! Let the games earn the right to get into the main stream Flight Simulator area if that's what the developers want to make. Bob

Edited by Toys_R_Us

Larry, I have no idea what MS will charge for Flight's DLC. And neither does anyone else. Any prices are now nothing more than speculation. And that was my main point.My other point was, based on my own personal experience (not on idle speculation, nor from what I have heard, nor read), Flight will be the first flightsim I will install on my new PC. Depending on the availability and pricing of its DLC, it might be the only flightsim I install for quite some time.

~ Arwen ~

Home Airfield: KHIE

If Manhattan X scenery for FS9 sells for $30 today, do you think Flight will sell the state of New York scenery for less than $40??? If PMDG sells their 737 NGX for $70, do you see Microsoft selling their commercial jets for less than that? What do you think Microsoft will charge for the ATC add-on?
DLC will be priced correctly - at a level that attempts to maximize revenues. That means, not too high and not too low such that sales x price = the most money. Your original post said, almost factually, the DLC pricing would be such that we would have to pay $480 to $1200 just for Flight to approach the content in [bone stock] FSX. You may be right - if those prices fit the 'maximize revenue' formula, then that's what it will be. Common sense tells me otherwise. I don't think at those prices MS will maximize it's revenue. I think they will have to be lower. Edited by Rush1169

Maybe they will sell a "lifetime" membership to put a cap on the process. That might essentially give the FS world an FS11 while taking in a ton of money right up front. I'd be there right away with my credit card just like I did with FSGenesis. And it might even head me off from taking the direction I am about to take with a new overclocked Ivy bridge machine, and a return to FSX. They've got 'til April 8th on that one but I am not holding my breath.I think people here, while opimistic, forget that it took many years for third party people to get to the level of sophistication that they are at now in FSX. Does anyone seriously think a bloated and slow to move corporate bureaucracy is going to not take even much longer. They usually barely beat the government at what they do. I may not live that long.Oh, I'm sorry. I forgot. They'll form some committees and focus groups and it will be much quicker. Bob

Edited by Toys_R_Us

Flight has the capability of being as easy, or as difficult as you want it to be. I believe it will engage many more entry level players than possible with an FSXI. Whether that will translate into successful DLC sales depends on how MS sets the pricing and content.

it took many years for third party people to get to the level of sophistication they are at now in FSX.
True, but I don't think MS completely trashed the FSX interface technology. When Flight is opened up to 3PDs, they will have to do some work to convert their existing FSX product, but they won't have to reinvent it.

Apparently some folks don't understand the meaning of "micro-transactions" at all...MS Flight will use the system they already have in place for the X-Box 360, where DLC is priced in "Microsoft Points." Here is a handy converter for determining the actual currency costs for any given number of "Microsoft Points."http://www.360plex.c...s_converter.php

The cost in Dollars for 500 Microsoft Points is: $6.25
Here is another converter site. Currently MPs are 80/$1.00http://www.tmeyer.de...sconverter.htmlI wonder now though if cards currently available from retail outlets (such as WalMart) or online (Amazon) will be honored for Flight as they are now for X-Box 360? If so, those are often discounted:http://www.amazon.co...s/dp/B000B9RI141600 points for $18.99 (discounted from $20)

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I can't wait for flight.I've got bored/fed up with flight sim in general over the last few years mainly because I spend more time deciding on the flight I want to do than actually flying there. (which plane, which paint, which airports, which scenery) In fact most of the time I'd decide all of that after about 2 hours and then think 'oh I can't be bothered.'I've spent a few quid on addons also in those few years in the vain belief that it will get me back into it including the NGX. I've flown that twice and although it's a nice plane and replicates the aircraft well, I really have no need for that type of realism when I think about it.I hope Flight will bring me back to the basics, and like in real life, will only let me fly where I'm capable of flying and in a aircraft I am capable of flying. Then when I've achieved certain goals I will be allowed to fly bigger aircraft and fly further. That will give this 'game' a purpose and make it more interesting for me.

MS Flight will use the system they already have in place for the X-Box 360, where DLC is priced in "Microsoft Points."
My Flight Simulation activities do NOT involve Microsoft Points, the XBox 360, or a "Gamertag" to identify me to XBox Live. I don't even own an XBox, although I saw in the videos from CES that the XBox controller works well with Flight.Of course, I'm over 30, so I realize I'm not in the typical XBox Live demographic. Maybe somebody can explain to me again how Flight is a serious simulation and not a game.

My Flight Simulation activities do NOT involve Microsoft Points, the XBox 360, or a "Gamertag" to identify me to XBox Live. I don't even own an XBox, although I saw in the videos from CES that the XBox controller works well with Flight.Of course, I'm over 30, so I realize I'm not in the typical XBox Live demographic. Maybe somebody can explain to me again how Flight is a serious simulation and not a game.
Actually the average gamer is in their late 30's and you just sound like you're being deliberately difficult. Gamertag so what, it's no different to any other account you have, like your avsim username. Instead of calling them MS points call them dollars or whatever currency you desire. You can go ahead and play FSX with an Xbox controller if you want. Why throw a tantrum over such trivial things?

Maybe somebody can explain to me again how Flight is a serious simulation and not a game.
Flight, FSX and X-Plane 10 are all technically PC games.Define "serious simulation."

~ Arwen ~

Home Airfield: KHIE

Why throw a tantrum over such trivial things?
All the trivial things are what add up to the whole.I've been a Microsoft Flight Sim fan from the Sub Logic days (OK, I'm way over 30) through FSX. I've spent a lot of time evaluating the next simulator I would get, and with all the evidence available I determined it was time to make the switch to X-Plane 10. Now I'm a little selfish hoping lots of other people make the same switch to accelerate the growing trend of add-on creators that are starting to make items for X-Plane.

Well its not going to be next FSX, though I dont count default FSX or X plane as serious simulation either, maybe FSX / X plane with proper addons is. But of course its my opinion only, there is no one definition for "serious simulator".Few beta testers I have heard telling their opinion at least in one Finnish flight simulator forum I use told me that Flight is kind of arcade, of course there is no single definition what is arcade and what is not arcade either.
I hope Flight will bring me back to the basics, and like in real life, will only let me fly where I'm capable of flying and in a aircraft I am capable of flying. Then when I've achieved certain goals I will be allowed to fly bigger aircraft and fly further.That will give this 'game' a purpose and make it more interesting for me.
Yeah some airline kind of simulation could be nice, but as your starting location would be most likely Hawaii and area would be limited I think that I rather stay with FSX and Fspassengers this time.I hope that Flight will be something interesting after all, but I think its pretty clear that Flight is not going to be same kind of whole world simulator that FSX is. Probably I will stick with FSX for many years, especially as I have started developing some sceneries for it. Edited by pvjinflight

I just don't see XPX being ready for prime time at this point. For now I will stick to XP9.7 and FSX. I also have been simming since the SubLogic days.

Define "serious simulation."
At a minimum, a simulator that out of the box will let someone learn the basics of flight with a Cessna, or let a more experienced pilot hop into the cockpit of a commercial jet and fly from L.A. to New York with all the navigation aids and basic ATC.And a simulation so realistic that with some minor modifications, it can become an FAA certified flight training simulator. FSX did this via Prepar3d and X-Plane 10 already has that as an option.

Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.