Sign in to follow this  
trevorbee

Flight will be good

With no SDK, the future for FSX actually looks brighter than ever until the entire community finds a replacement platform.You may as well call it the longest standing version, because that is the direction it's taking.
Very true. FSX has such a large developer base that we can nearly be garunteed high quality addons for at least 2-3 years. I think FLIGHT is cool for what it was designed for but not for the hardcore or advanced simmer.

And you both KNOW that MS will NEVER release a Flight SDK?Flight is STILL being developed. Let's see what happens after it is released,Skyrim was released on 11/11/11. Its Creation Kit (which is essentially its SDK) still hasn't been released.

~ Arwen ~

Home Airfield: KHIE

Very true. FSX has such a large developer base that we can nearly be garunteed high quality addons for at least 2-3 years. I think FLIGHT is cool for what it was designed for but not for the hardcore or advanced simmer.
/I reckon Flight will be what it will be, but I doubt it will amount to the mass development FS9 or FSX have enjoyed, effectively turning them into really nice simulation platforms. The stuff you see is amazing.. I think al ot of the "Hate" at this point is from the community feeling deceived into thinking we would see a FSXI. I'll tell you what.........if FSX didn't have the CPU ghz/performance issues it has.........FLIGHT would've been dismissed at this ppoint with no hard feelings. Since that is not the case, a third service pack from MS would be nice right about now!

/I reckon Flight will be what it will be, but I doubt it will amount to the mass development FS9 or FSX have enjoyed, effectively turning them into really nice simulation platforms. The stuff you see is amazing.. I think al ot of the "Hate" at this point is from the community feeling deceived into thinking we would see a FSXI. I'll tell you what.........if FSX didn't have the CPU ghz/performance issues it has.........FLIGHT would've been dismissed at this ppoint with no hard feelings. Since that is not the case, a third service pack from MS would be nice right about now!
With IvyBridge and Kepler approaching, I really think that FSX performance issues are a thing of the past. So far with my new system (specs in sig), performance is fantastic. - I am really starting to understand what the developers had in mind at the ACES studio back in 2005.An SP3 is P3D. They are adding enhancements and it has gradually changed so much that you can no longer really call it FSX. The "hate" from our community is also fueled from the fact that MS adopted our hobby 2 decades ago and now they have turned their backs to us. Another thing that you have to take into account is what Tom Allensworth stated on his blog about what SM said about keeping FSX "alive". Edited by benorg

And you both KNOW that MS will NEVER release a Flight SDK?Flight is STILL being developed. Let's see what happens after it is released,Skyrim was released on 11/11/11. Its Creation Kit (which is essentially its SDK) still hasn't been released.
It's not written in stone. Matter of factly, I posted elsewhere why MS would not at the least release a freeware only development SDK. People responded that 3PDers would use it,to create payware, to which I said to them that it wouldn't be worthwhile investing the time and resournces for something you cannot legally market or sell online. You may as well give it away for free. If you don't have a legit online marketing and revenue collection system for selling software online, it's lights out for your company. Edited by RicardoNY1

True.... But, since modern hardware is a breeze with FSX due to IB and Kepler approaching, I really think that FSX performance issues are a thing of the past. So far with my new system (specs in sig), performance is fantastic. - I am really starting to understand what the developers had in mind at the ACES studio back in 2005.
One can only hope we see CPUs that are easily OC'able to the speeds that are required to run FSX in much the same way we can run FS9 today, Jan. 20, 2012. That is the beauty really of FS9............throwing whatever the heck you want at it with 40+ or more frames locked knowing they will never drop. Edited by RicardoNY1

With no SDK, ATC, Jets & the 1000s of other features they so wisely cut out, FLIGHT might as well be a Wal-Mart greeter simulator.
Flight is a new flight simulator. It is not FSXI. To my knowledge, the Flight Team hasn't cut anything yet. Some of these things may be part of Flight at some point (if they are not already in the works).

~ Arwen ~

To my knowledge, the Flight Team hasn't cut anything yet. Some of these things may be part of Flight at some point (if they are not already in the works).
This is the kind of stuff that stirs my excitement again. :(

It'll take many years for them to replace or improve all the missing features & scenery. I don't think its there goal at all.
What features are missing and when did MS state that they didn't want to do the whole world? There was a job application for MS FLIGHT stating the entire *globe*.

Okay, sticking my oar back in for a moment, what do you suppose the 50+ folks there have been doing for the past few years? None of us can possibly guess what they might already have prepped and ready for DLC on or shortly after release of Flight.Both pragmatically and logically they have to have some stock on their shelves, otherwise it'd be like opening a new Wal-Mart with only empty shelves for the customers to browse! :(

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Flight is a new flight simulator. It is not FSXI.To my knowledge, the Flight Team hasn't cut anything yet. Some of these things may be part of Flight at some point (if they are not already in the works).
Trust me on this one Arwen, Flight started with FSX, the name is new including other stuff but all started with FSX.
Its in Beta, you must have already noticed they are only fixing bugs, not adding new features.It'll take many years for them to replace or improve all the missing features & scenery. I don't think its there goal at all. You have too much faith in them.You'll be lucky to get a couple of new planes & a Vegas scenery before 2013.You'll be getting 1000s of aerocaches & new missions tho. Hope you like those.
Nothing is missing, locked but not missing, to be improved...I'm with you, but not missing.

Its in Beta, you must have already noticed they are only fixing bugs, not adding new features.It'll take many years for them to replace or improve all the missing features & scenery. I don't think its there goal at all. You have too much faith in them.You'll be lucky to get a couple of new planes & a Vegas scenery before 2013.You'll be getting 1000s of aerocaches & new missions tho. Hope you like those.
That's the problem with FLIGHT............is it not their approach to reel people in with it and then have them buy FSX? The ultimate question which I think I already know the answer to is just how serious and motivated about FLIGHT is MS? Are they ready to bring out the Boeing and Airbus manuals like the other guys did, roll up their sleeves and start getting to work on making FLIGHT attractive enough for people to see their DLC purchases as a good investment? Are they ready to create an AI package or system as good as freeware WOAI? The list is long. Now here is my take........I honestly don't think they have anything! You know......sometimes it's hard to beat dedication, passion and motivation with a mind set on finances. The people who have brought us the add-ons we see today, they had finances on their mind, but the drive and motivation to give us their art and talent is very apparent. I forgot where I heard the quote, I think it was from someone at FDS, that it takes a bigger fortune to make a small fortune in their sector of the FS market.

Okay, sticking my oar back in for a moment, what do you suppose the 50+ folks there have been doing for the past few years? None of us can possibly guess what they might already have prepped and ready for DLC on or shortly after release of Flight.Both pragmatically and logically they have to have some stock on their shelves, otherwise it'd be like opening a new Wal-Mart with only empty shelves for the customers to browse! :(
Exactly, futher more, 3PD were telling MS what to improved as they themself (3PD) knew what was wrong with FSX and what had to be fixed, so there is no way in hell that a bunch of MS's guys including 3PD were all working together just to make an arcade game....seriously 2 years for collecting coins...hahahha.Quote: We've had Flight alpha code running in-house for well over a year; about 25 of our team installed a few builds. We've been talking to MS for over two years about Flight.Long story short, we spent a lot of time working with MS on white papers and looked at the code, gave them copies of all our products, told them how to do it right. They even used screenshots of our 1S2 Darrington in their mission dialog boxes, so they must have installed our scenery into Flight at some point, LOL! end of quoteAs far as I know Orbx do not have scenery covering Hawaii so what did MS installed?http://forum.avsim.n...out-of-the-bag/ Edited by alainneedle1

Exactly, futher more, 3PD were telling MS what to improved as they themself (3PD) knew what was wrong with FSX and what had to be fixed, so there is no way in hell that a bunch of MS's guys including 3PD were all working together just to make an arcade game....seriously 2 years for collecting coins...hahahha.
I think that the devs were too agressive and actually angered MS to a point of them getting told off.Honestly if you step back and look at the big picture, we are a pretty hostile group of simmers. LOL

Trust me on this one Arwen, Flight started with FSX, the name is new including other stuff but all started with FSX.
I'm not disputing that. I have language issues, and I'm tired, so I'm not doing a very good job at putting my thoughts into words. And it is hard when I cannot go into any details right now.No matter what they started with, the Flight Team appears to be doing a LOT of things quite differently than how they were done in FSX. Much of the code might be based initially on FSX, but my guess is that Flight is going to end up being a major rewrite. In a year or two, Flight might be at the point where it will replace FSX, which will then essentially make it FSXI . . . but it will not fully be FSXI when it is initially released.Ok, so I likely just confused you all even more.
Its in Beta, you must have already noticed they are only fixing bugs, not adding new features.
That's not what I noticed at all.
It'll take many years for them to replace or improve all the missing features & scenery. I don't think its there goal at all. You have too much faith in them.You'll be lucky to get a couple of new planes & a Vegas scenery before 2013.
I have no idea when a Nevada Scenery DLC will be available. But you are VERY wrong about the "couple of new planes" part.As far are me having too much faith in them, here's a quote from the Bible that seems especially fitting:Jeremiah 5:21: "Hear now this, O foolish people, and without understanding; which have eyes, and see not; which have ears, and hear not:"[And please don't take that the wrong way. I'm not calling anyone here foolish. I'm just saying that you need to pay attention to what some members are posting about Flight.] Edited by Arwen

~ Arwen ~

Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.