Sign in to follow this  
anthony_d

X Plane Real Weather Turbulence

Afternoon all,I've been doing an "interesting" flight from Faroe Islands to Iceland with real weather switched on.Winds on ground 25 knots with gusts to 35, Typical Atlantic strong / gale force conditions for this time of year. Something the real airline pilots take in their stride up where I live in Scotland.X-Plane turbulence seems to be wing snappingly strong for such winds! Flying a 737 is very hard to keep the wings level. Flying any sort of light aircraft results in movements so violent that you suffer from Over-G failure (if enabled).Now I've done plenty of real flights in those sort of conditions. They're bumpy, but not that bumpy.Does anyone else feel that real weather turbulence conditions can be toned down somewhat? I'm guessing that x-plane simply "takes a guess" at the turbulence setting, rather than any sophisticated calculation of turbulence level from buildings, relief and thermals.Anthony

Afternoon all,I've been doing an "interesting" flight from Faroe Islands to Iceland with real weather switched on.Winds on ground 25 knots with gusts to 35, Typical Atlantic strong / gale force conditions for this time of year. Something the real airline pilots take in their stride up where I live in Scotland.X-Plane turbulence seems to be wing snappingly strong for such winds! Flying a 737 is very hard to keep the wings level. Flying any sort of light aircraft results in movements so violent that you suffer from Over-G failure (if enabled).Now I've done plenty of real flights in those sort of conditions. They're bumpy, but not that bumpy.Does anyone else feel that real weather turbulence conditions can be toned down somewhat? I'm guessing that x-plane simply "takes a guess" at the turbulence setting, rather than any sophisticated calculation of turbulence level from buildings, relief and thermals.Anthony
X planes wind and turbulence have always been extremely overpowering and too strong compared to real life. I dont know if they will ever tone it down but it has been one of my major gripes with xplane.

This is something i've noticed too coming from MSFS. X-Plane always seems much more lively in dynamics than MSFS.

Tom Wright

Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) | Intel Core i7 4770k @ 4.3GHz | 16GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM | GTX 1060 6GB | Samsung 860 EVO 500GB | Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Sidestick + Quadrant | Xbox Series S

I think this is one thing that most people new to X-Plane grumble about.It is the wind shear settings that cause this, if you change from RW weather to uniform I always put the wind shear speed and direction back to 0 and all is smooth again. I can't believe that this can't be toned down because as you say the aircraft are un-flyable like this. I really like the RW weather but as soon as this starts it is plain impossible to fly like it, surely this is something that LR can address.RegardsSimon

I've found my experience somewhat to the contrary.Haven't tried it in XP10 yet but I found in XP9 when wind shear was set but turbulence wasn't, I got an effect which wasn't far off the experience I get coming into land on rough blustery day in real life. However I've tried both wind & wind shear set to 0, but turbulence set to medium and I get a wholly unstable state of affairs. Also, with real weather set, is there any way of looking up the Metar info for a reporting station in the weather map? I'm finding the only way to do this is by tuning into a local ATIS station.

The map will tell you weather in txt if you click on an airport. Clicking on a VOR or a NDB won't show weather.

You've flown in 25kt winds with 35kt gusts???Whenever I would show up at my local airport to go flying, and the winds were 8kts with 15 kt gusts, I'd be told to go home.

Havn't really noticed too much in the air, but taking off in a good wind, seems as though the wind literally pushes light aircraft off of the runway alltogether. Oh well, I've just learned to adjust for it.

You've flown in 25kt winds with 35kt gusts???Whenever I would show up at my local airport to go flying, and the winds were 8kts with 15 kt gusts, I'd be told to go home.
OH, I've flown in em. As long as the "cross-wind" component of the wind to the runway is ok, take-off's and landings are just fine. It just makes for one hell of a bumpy ride, especially over the mountains around here. I certainly don't enjoy it (trying to pick up my headset from across the cabin, bouncing my head off the roof), but sometimes, you just do it. :Hypnotized:8kts gusting to 15 is pretty tame. The max crosswind component of many light GA aricraft is 15-18 kts. Edited by VegaSS

I've certainly been in a passenger in a Jetstream 41 in that kind of weather. It's rather bumpy, but not wing snappingly so!I was seeing winds at my local airport gusting to 60 knots last month. Many flights were cancelled, but plenty kept operating through the day. Even turboprops. I asked the flight attendant what if was like in the JS41 that day. "Very rough" was the response, and one passenger described the experience as "seriously dodgy".

indeed. turbulences in real weather are just ridculous. i thought it would have been fixed easily in one of the first betas. now i just hope it gets adressed at all...

Are you guys comparing the turbulence to RW flying or FSX flying?(just curious)

Hey Goran,I'm not a real world pilot, so I have no comparison there. I have been flying in MS products for many years and I can make a comparison there, Xplanes turbulence is a lot stonger than anything I have evey encountered in MS products, and I have always only ever flown using real weather through one of HiFi's weather products. I have to admit, there are times when the turbulence is so strong that the plane is uncontrollable, and the wind speeds don't seem to indicate that the turbulence should be that bad. Again, I'm not real world, so in reality things could be different.GlenEdit: If there was someway the user could tone it down through a setting, that would be nice. That option has to be available while using real weather, I don't see the point of not using real weather, unless you want to specifically practice flying in certain contitions.

Edited by Muskoka

Gigabyte z590 UD - i5 11600k 4.9 GHz - 64gb 3600 MHz ram - RTX 3070 ti - multiple ssd - 34" 3440x1440 100 Hz Curved - Saitek Yoke Pedals Throttle Quadrant x2 - TM T16000m x2 Throttle - Win 11 Pro

I find the way XP9.7 interprets RW weather for higher altitudes can be a trying experience. Couple in XSquawkbox and sometimes it seems as though the winds are summed together to provide (as a recent example) 101kt headwinds at FL220.....67kts at FL140.Not very nice flying a PC12 or similar into that sort of nonsense when the RW weather is 1/2 or more less the displayed value.There also seems to be an implied XP bias in terms of "fly west eat west headwind" and the same going north.Just my impressions anyway. A third party weather solution plug-in that works would be most welcome for XP9 and XPX.

AVSIM Staff Reviewer
Bush Is Good!
banTedG01.jpg